Find
Notify
Tools

Chobe bushbuck in Namibia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted
In the initial stages of planning a hunt in 2016 for my wife and I and some clients/friends. While the friends are first timers who will be happy with the usual free range game in Namibia, I really want to scratch the bushbuck itch, having never taken one.

Are there any operators in northern Namibia that have regular plains hunts and access to hunting bushbuck on one of the concessions?

Probably going to spends some time in Namibia and then go to RSA, so may have to just wait for the RSA leg of the trip, but thought I would ask.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
My, rather limited, knowledge of the distribution of bushbuck says that there should be Chobe bushbuck in far northern Namibia. This agrees with what an expert on bushbuck says: Steve's Shakari Connection

It is now up the the Namibian hunting outfitters to chime in and make you offers. In South Africa I can offer both Limpopo and Cape bushbuck, but I do not operate in Namibia at all.

Enjoy your safari!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew, that is what my research suggested…….. should be Chobe bushbuck up in the far north/Caprivi. Will wait and see. May be problematic for operators to do it at reasonable rates.

I'll drop you an e-mail later.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunted Bushbuck up in the Caprivi this past August, while on an Elephant/Buffalo hunt. We saw a couple bushbuck, but didn't take one. We really didn't spend a great deal of time on bushbuck, but we did saw a lot of tracks.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
The Eastern Caprivi strip bucks up against Vic Falls, plenty of bushbuck

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen Chobe bushbuck in the Caprivi, along the, well...the Chobe.

But they were't on license.

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
IIRC, bushbuck quota among the various eastern Caprivi outfitters is very low.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I saw a rather nice bushbuck in the Caprivi in 2013, my PH was very excited to see it, but we had no quota to shoot one. We decided to have a bit of fun with the PH in charge of the concession, when we returned that night.

"We shot a bushbuck, a very nice one! We do have one on quota yes?"

The shocked face, the pissing and moaning was epic. The fact was, no quota was expected anytime, any year soon in anywhere around Salambala or Kabulabula. Possibly further east, but not in that area we hunted.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
MikeE thanks, that kinda tells me everything I need to know. Will be looking to RSA and maybe Zim. for Limpopo and Cape bushbuck, scratch Chobe.

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
One of Kobus's PH's is here this week, we will ask him when we speak, if there are any Chobe bushbucks available on any of the Caprivi concessions, he will know.

Stand by, will attempt further info.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote