Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri, you've dropped your sporran Big Grin

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 574 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

What do you mean canned? It was certainly fair to say that it had been chased.... tu2

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
careful that you don't get stuck with that hunt

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was there a life threatening charge from that caged beast?

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at least he used a double,even though it a over and under.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
earplugs...check
safety glasses...check
gun loaded...check
safety off...check
pull!!!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
earplugs...check
safety glasses...check
gun loaded...check
safety off...check
pull!!!

Big Grin

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vans
posted Hide Post
That really sucks!!!!!! Why the F&^$)(*&^&^k do you want to shoot a porcupine? Makes my blood boil!!!!!!!

Posts: 53 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vans:
That really sucks!!!!!! Why the F&^$)(*&^&^k do you want to shoot a porcupine? Makes my blood boil!!!!!!!

I'd say that is the only safe way to ge those quills, other than buy them from the South Africans in the stores! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you let him out of the cage first?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Vans,

Assuming you are serious....have you ever seen a bird-dog after an encounter with a porcupine?

I shoot everyone I can beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
quote:

Vans,

Assuming you are serious....have you ever seen a bird-dog after an encounter with a porcupine?

I shoot everyone I can beer

If "Fido" was smart, he would not go near one of those beasties.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JF,

most dogs here in Idaho learn about porkies the hard way. Not many things sadder than spending an afternoon pulling quills out of a friend's nose with needle nose pliers.
Some of those quills are nigh as big around as a pencil.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Colorado, porcupines were shot on sight by all the ranchers and farmers where I came from. Destructive to the trees and a hazard to animals and live stock.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
most dogs here in Idaho learn about porkies the hard way. Not many things sadder than spending an afternoon pulling quills out of a friend's nose with needle nose pliers.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
JF,

Rich

Fair enough. One thing I can't stand to see is man's best friend in pain.

I prefer dogs (certain breeds) to people. wave

One of Us
Picture of Vans
posted Hide Post
The trouble is much like everything else that has become a slight nuisance to man over the years and gets shot on site, the numbers of porcupines has decreased dramatically. They have their place in the bush and if a dog is dumb enough to tangle with one then maybe it is a good thing that his genes are culled from the pool?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have always wanted to hunt a porcupine in Africa. I think they are stunning and would make a great mount.

I didn't realize they are endangered.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vans
posted Hide Post
I cant say if they are on any official "List", but definately they are being hammered.

There is nothing wrong with going out and hunting them but to shoot them just because, is not right.They are fascinating creatures.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are fascinating creatures.

I agree.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Porkies are good tasting - nothing like canned porcupine pieces, yum

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd shoot one on Safari if the PH said to. I WOULD swat one a couple times with a towel for souvenirs though!

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vans:
I cant say if they are on any official "List", but definately they are being hammered.[QUOTE]

They're officially classified as being "of least concern", same as impala, springbok & buff, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, my BEST pal Charlie...a GSP was hit in the face by a momma porky with baby....while he and I were hiking in Lower Cherokee Park, north of Fort Collins, CO. Poor guy didn't know what hit him; quills in tongue, lips, nose. cheeks, forehead...etc. I knew I had to remove them promptly, but we were an hour from the car. He SAT STILL at my command while I removed them with my lips and teeth!! He was the most amazing, wonderful, trusting/trustworthy, refined, understanding, tolerant, intelligent buddy I have ever known. So, I read this thread and the one about "dog poem", and they draw me back 40 years to treasured memories. THANKS!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
The farm we were on that particular day was growing maize, and it was harvest time. The porcupines were hammering the maize crops not to mention the big holes they dig in the field.

To be honest the only danger I was in was from the local boys who value the meat very highly and were adamant we shooti it so they could get their hands on it. Everyone I spoke to told me that the meat is excellent. We were scheduled to go lamping for some porkies one evening but the schedule was just too full to fit it in.

IIRC the trap in the background had caught nearly 150 this year and I think he was running three traps on the farm.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Vans

I for one am not aware of any scientific data, study or scientific proof that the porcupine population is in decline. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, they're classified under the catagory of 'species of least concern'.

Perhaps you could direct us to who did the study and on what evidence they founded their findings on please?

Whilst I have no particular desire to hunt them (except the ones that come into my garden and make a nuisance of themselves) I have no particular objection to other doing so.

I certainly see no reason why anyone should need to justify their hunting porcupines if they so desire. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That is a strange looking bird....a guinea fowl species??? you seem to have shot the beak off the thing at close range!! stir

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
The farm we were on that particular day was growing maize, and it was harvest time. The porcupines were hammering the maize crops not to mention the big holes they dig in the field.

To be honest the only danger I was in was from the local boys who value the meat very highly and were adamant we shooti it so they could get their hands on it. Everyone I spoke to told me that the meat is excellent. We were scheduled to go lamping for some porkies one evening but the schedule was just too full to fit it in.

IIRC the trap in the background had caught nearly 150 this year and I think he was running three traps on the farm.

FB

The porcupine being a rodent - is a relative of rabbits & squirrels. They are excellent table fare.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The trouble is much like everything else that has become a slight nuisance to man over the years and gets shot on site, the numbers of porcupines has decreased dramatically. They have their place in the bush and if a dog is dumb enough to tangle with one then maybe it is a good thing that his genes are culled from the pool?

I'm forced to wonder how you feel about the killing of rats, mosquitos, ticks, feral cats, house mice...or, for that matter, deer.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mmmmm fallow buck that is some good eating there mate! next hunt we do we must start eating more of the critters we hunt yes???!!!

warmest... your chinese chef!

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have always wanted to hunt a porcupine in Africa. I think they are stunning and would make a great mount.

I didn't realize they are endangered.
Roll Eyes

I would never mount a porcupine....it must hurt like hell!!!!!

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Vans reaction makes me laugh. It brings back the memory of a South African mechanic that was in a training class with me at Bell helicopter. He totally freaked out when I smashed a large spider in the training room. He said the same thing about all of the creatures having a place in the world.
Vans are you sure you are not a PETA plant?

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would never mount a porcupine....it must hurt like hell!!!!!

not as bad if you flip them over and go missionary. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Vans
posted Hide Post
Definately not PETA, being hunting for a very long time.....But hey if it makes you feel good about yourself posing with a porkie you shot in a cage with a shotgun, dont let me stop you! tu2

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite mounts. The kids like it too.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Vans, take a breath, if you look at it, the post was more of a joke than serious. At lest that is what I got out of it. Someone was going to kill and eat the thing any way. They guy had fun with it. Please relax, many of these types of judgmental reactions are what is ruining this site.