New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tusk size as a result of poaching
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I heard this on a TV show the other night.

It was stated that years of poaching elephants with big tusks had significantly reduced the gene pool of elephants that would normally grow large tusks. The show was about evolution in general and the elephants and their tusk size (and absence of tusks) was given as an example of changes occurring to animal in a relatively short perior of years.

It also said that the percentage of elephants without tusks is now much higher because of the change of the gene pool as a result of previous years of poaching.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would be surprised to learn that this was not the case. With something over a century of emphasis on the taking of the largest tuskers, I would expect nothing else. Who knows, perhaps the gene pool and the habitat conducive to the production of the very biggest tuskers was obliterated 80 years ago. The same may be said of crocodiles, whales and an untold number of other species and subspecies.

[ 05-23-2003, 16:39: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

posted Hide Post
"Two factors mainly determine tusk size: 1) genetic predisposition to and 2) age:"

True. But it is my thinking that the lack of free migration of herds to their "memory" locations is a third and equal factor, today. How many prime feeding areas, mineral locations and watering spots have been lost to the collective memory of the elephants via human development over the century? This factor will vary in import from locale to locale but the general theme of discord is there and along with all the other factors concerning their well being, maximum tusk size is surely affected.

[ 05-23-2003, 18:24: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this is natures way of saving the species? No Tusks= No poaching/Hunting? Survival of the least valuable!

Bakes

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Knocking off the big tuskers probably doesn't help, but what about Botswana? Some big tuskers have come out of there of late, after the season had been closed for many years.

I think the same thing is true for elk and whitetails, if you shoot every two year old, you can't expect ever to have big elk and big deer.

It all can be lamented but what are you going to do about it? If it wasn't for us fortnight gringos there probably wouldn't be an elephant left.

Will

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
"Two factors mainly determine tusk size: 1) genetic predisposition to and 2) age:"

True. But it is my thinking that the lack of free migration of herds to their "memory" locations is a third and equal factor, today. How many prime feeding areas, mineral locations and watering spots have been lost to the collective memory of the elephants via human development over the century? This factor will vary in import from locale to locale but the general theme of discord is there and along with all the other factors concerning their well being, maximum tusk size is surely affected.

I have to agree with Nickudu on the above statement! One thing I might add, though, is, The thinking that the takeing of large tusked individules, takes away the gene pool to bring up new heavy tusked offspring, is flawed! I submit the takeing of young elephant, that have not yet grown large tusks, has more to do with the decline, than the takeing of the big boys! My reasoning for this train of thought is, The very large tusker, has already put many offspring on the ground, before he is old enough to produce the age necessary to grow the large tusks. On the other hand, how do you know which of the 30 pounders, would have grown very large tusks, and placed his offspring on the ground, if allowed to gain old age? The lack of migration denies the whole herd menerals, and abundant food supplies, needed to develope the size, of the old days. The poacher,unlike the trophy hunter, will take everything in a family group that shows ivory, not just the trophy size. So it is my opinion, the abaited migration, the drilling of wells so people who normally migrate, stay in one place, not following the rains, and overgrazing the land, ruining the habitate, the elephant has water, so the urge to relocate is inhibited till it is too late, then some are lost in a mad dash to the next feeding area. This feeding area would, in nature, have been arrived at in a steady migration, instead of the sudden realization that the food was running out! The lack of water is what normally triggers the migration, and the wells give a false since of security to the elephant.

This is the same thing the animal rights folks think about deer! They say when you take the biggest antler size you are removeing the gene carrier, when, in fact, takeing of the meat deer is takeing out the prodigny of that old deer, who has already spread his oats among the herds of deer, placeing his offspring there to take up where he left off. The meat hunter, does far more damage to the gene pool, than the trophy hunter. I say shoot the oldest elephant, or deer, and you are removeing the least useful member of the total population, and the food, and water he consumes, will go his young offspring! [Cool]

This however doesn't apply to Lion,or any cat, because the takeing of the dominate lion, causes the killing of all the cubs on the ground, by his replacement as the new head of a pride's territory! [Frown]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good Points Mac,
I doubt there is a valid analogy to deer, or most any other animal, for that matter, due to the extended life cycle of the elephant. With their long lives and gestation periods, they are not easily compared to other creatures. Let's go back, way back, to the 1890's - 1910's, for a moment. Who is to say, nowadays, what the prevalence of 100 pounders was in any given area? Nobody, IMHO. Who's to say what % of the very best bloodlines were stiffled or even halted during that period, or perhaps over the next few decades due to the reduction in offspring from these superior bloodlines, with a higher % of the total succuming to rising natural mortality rates, along with increased hunting pressure?

Sad to say but I think the best of them are already gone.

[ 05-23-2003, 22:39: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
Sad to say but I think the best of them are already gone.

I totally agree with you, and the sport hunting pressure contributed, but in the time period of which you speak, there was very little sport hunting of Elephant! Thousands of eles were killed by market hunters. It is my opinion, today the takeing of 30 pounders is not the way to create a population of big ivory. The culling out of tuskless bulls, and cows might be the prudent thing to do for a while! This will not work because in most cases, none of the animal can be exported. Few people, I know, are going to spend $20K shooting an animal, and getting only a snapshot! [Confused]

My analogy was not to compare the ELE with deer, but to show the paralell to the way animal rights folks think about everything! Also that the very old of any species, is the least valuable to that species's viability, and if you are going to reduce populations, then these are the ones most helpful to the long term continued existance of that species! [Cool]

posted Hide Post
Mac,
When you think about it, sporthunters, have likely taken the lowest toll of any other group. Ivory hunters, poachers, market hunters, culling & control and the despicable acts of berserk militaria have done the majority of the damage from the perspective of outright killing. Overall, the loss of access to historic habitat has been the most destructive and at the heart of the need for the culling & control work mentioned above.

[ 05-24-2003, 03:58: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the parks were off limits the big boys had a place to go. Now most od the poaching is done in the parks often times by the rangers themselves. Also the decline of the ele in places like Zim are due to human encroachment. The parks themselves are being mismanaged with improper or no culling forcing the bulls to leave just to find enough to eat.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I find these numbers staggering, and I am certain that the elephants do as well:

HUMAN POPULATION INCREASE:

COUNTRY------1900---------2000

Kenya---------1.35 mil----30 mil
Tanzania------4.8 mil-----35 mil
Zimbabwe-----.48 mil-----11.5 mil
Zambia--------.67 mil------9.6 mil
Botswana-----.11 mil------1.6 mil
Namibia-------.13 mil------1.8 mil

Regards,

Terry

[ 05-24-2003, 05:47: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Those numbers are staggering Terry. Here's my thoughts on the population explosion (this may seem heartless)
1. Not as much tribal conflict anymore. It still happends but not on the scale as before.
2. In 1900 it was still a subsistance life, if the crops failed due to drought, people died. Now we have western countries sending aid.
3. Modern Medicine (when they can get it)has increased the lifespan. I know disease still kills alot of people in Africa, but they are better off now than the 1900's.

Bakes

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Man's intervention in nature is the problem with anything you can name! The tribe of only 18 people discovered on one of the Islands of the South Pacific, a few years ago, the elder of this tribe was only about 30 years old. The wore no cloths, and ate what they could find, made no shelters but slept in nests like Gorillas!

What was the first thing the discoverors did? They inoculated them, and gave them cloths. Now they are liveing longer, and are influenced by the visiters! These people lived for thousands of years with out change,in perfect hormany with their habitat. The birth/death rate was according to nature, and we changed them in 15 years!

You can fly accross Africa today, and you will see giant circles of devestation, with a bore hole at it's center! Man's thinking he knows better than nature!

With game, we have so influenced it, that we have no other choice, today, but to manage it! Trouble is Man has a tendency to regulate with emotion, rather than as nature has mandated! Nature is neither right nor wrong, she just "IS", and she is right! [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bakes and Mac,

You are both correct.

But who is going to refuse the magic, modern medicine, pill to save their own life?

A lot of us old geisers would probably not be around if we had refused.

Will

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have devoted some time to this study and one thing that has not been mentioned here, is that an old bull will get a tremendous growth spurt a year of two before his natural old age death, apparantly all nutrition goes to the tusks at some point and his health goes down...Based on this age definately has a big hand in tusk size....I thought this was an interresting phenominum that came out of Kruger Park Studies..It was passed on to me by Hannes Swanapol who was a problem control officer in Krugher for many years...

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Ya think that may be the origin of the phrase:
"He's getting a bit long-in-the-tusk?" [Wink] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Bakes and Mac,

You are both correct.

But who is going to refuse the magic, modern medicine, pill to save their own life?

A lot of us old geisers would probably not be around if we had refused.

Will

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] It wouldn'tmake any difference if he/she had tusks, tail or all four legs, if he/she's about turn me into toe jam. he/she is gitting shot, and damn the gene pool! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
You may be closer to right than you think, makes since to me!! but it may have come from horses who share the same stigma but to a lesser extent.

We on the other hand seem to become deleted of tusk or tooth and according to a waffle booted, liberal, vegatarian, meadow muffin aquaintence of mine, its because we are carnivours...

He on the other hand is a pale, freaked out, escapee form a German death camp by appearance, highly educated idiot whos blood won't clot, and his teeth ain't all that good from eating veggies.

So whats the point?? there is none! [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray, after 10,000 tries you've finally done it.

The unanswerable post!

What thuh!?! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]