THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A conservation officer suspended for refusing to kill cubs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A conservation officer suspended for refusing to kill cubs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/...-bear-cubs-1.3141652

This is to highlight the hypocrisy of the mainstream media and the POS celebrities who harass ethical hunters and campaign against managed hunting yet ignore things like these. Did you know that PETA itself kills thousands of animals every year? Mad

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
PETA killing thousands of animals is old news to those who want to know. But most don't and most media outlets will not report it anyways.

Sad state of affairs with this and the bear cubs but, I am sure there is more too this than what is in the media. There always is.

In more and more places where bears are increasing and the complaints are increasing the game departments are euthanizing the bears. They do not have the money or time for repeat occurrences and the they view the cubs as having learned from the sow.

I am not agreeing with all of what they do, just saying there is likely more to this story.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those asshat BC administrators need to be fired and find other work as they sure as hell do not understand "conservation". Kill the cubs..WTH???

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
those asshat BC administrators need to be fired and find other work as they sure as hell do not understand "conservation". Kill the cubs..WTH???
Why should not those cubs be killed if that is what is deemed necessary?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The field officer who was despatched, killed the mother but assessed the 8week cubs as not habituated.

Maybe the chiefs in the head office can explain how they better assessed the situation from the remoteness of their desk?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send the CO the bill for feeding a couple bears for 2 years while somehow not becoming accustomed to humans. Then release them in his own yard.

Its so hard to suspend a government employee without pay that his actions had to have been considered retarded.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since this an African forum, change every "bear" to "baboon" and see if that makes sense. Others could substitute "coyotes", "skunks" or "rats" and see if it doesn't change from trying to make a hero out of this guy to calling for his head on a stick.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

who deemed it necessary??? I'll tell you who, some asshat admin in an downtown office who hasn't been in the field in years and has forgotten when he is suposed to do for a living. . I spent 26 years as a conservation officer and have seen the same order given for white-tail deer fawns...."just knock em in the head with a hammer and toss em in the ditch". What kind of person head hammers a week old fawn just because it it motherless???

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

who deemed it necessary??? I'll tell you who, some asshat admin in an downtown office who hasn't been in the field in years and has forgotten when he is suposed to do for a living. . I spent 26 years as a conservation officer and have seen the same order given for white-tail deer fawns...."just knock em in the head with a hammer and toss em in the ditch". What kind of person head hammers a week old fawn just because it it motherless???
You should know then that a week-old deer fawn is 100% dead-meat in the wild. Like Dogleg says change the deer fawn to kangaroo.... a sharp blow to the back of the head is the prescribed field method (government endorsed) for dispatching kangaroo joeys that are deemed not capable of surviving on their own. Hundreds of thousands are killed this way by commercial harvesters every year (you cant always see small joeys in the pouches) - and only the most bitter and twisted anti's complain about the practice. True conservation involves 'tough love'.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe on a roo in your land, but not on a fawn or baby bear up here. "Tough love" ain't killing babies......

there are LOTS of rehabbers that will take those animals and raise em at no expense to the "government" types or to the CEOs.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I approve of zoos in these cases.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe on a roo in your land, but not on a fawn or baby bear up here. "Tough love" ain't killing babies......

there are LOTS of rehabbers that will take those animals and raise em at no expense to the "government" types or to the CEOs.

Last time I checked British Columbia is a long ways from Alabama so it isn't your land either. You can do whatever you want with your bears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zoos don't want them and rehabbers treat them like pets which they are not. Rehab centres only make people feel better. Tuff to say but sometimes a quick humane death is better than watching a bear pace the fence in a zoo. Oh and zoos are for the preservation of a species that is likely to become extinct, not for public entertainment but I guess we forgot about that. Also if the CO was suspended it serves him right for dereliction of duty euthanizing wildlife is part of the job if you can't do the job then Join green peace not the CO service. Conservation officers manage wildlife they're not there for their absolute protection. Conservation is not preservation.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddsix:
Zoos don't want them and rehabbers treat them like pets which they are not. Rehab centres only make people feel better. Tuff to say but sometimes a quick humane death is better than watching a bear pace the fence in a zoo. Oh and zoos are for the preservation of a species that is likely to become extinct, not for public entertainment but I guess we forgot about that. Also if the CO was suspended it serves him right for dereliction of duty euthanizing wildlife is part of the job if you can't do the job then Join green peace not the CO service. Conservation officers manage wildlife they're not there for their absolute protection. Conservation is not preservation.
Well said, except zoos are also for education, not just preservation of endangered species. Zoos have many more species in them than just the endangered types.

It is true that zoos and rehab facilities do not just take all-comers (orphaned wildlife).

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Send the CO the bill for feeding a couple bears for 2 years while somehow not becoming accustomed to humans. Then release them in his own yard.

Its so hard to suspend a government employee without pay that his actions had to have been considered retarded.

they had to ship to the Zoo of Calgary two cubs that the mother was killed after breaking in two times. i think the best idea was to take them away why sending them for a lifetime jail. rehab wont work very often and removed bears are coming back even send 200 kms away ....

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Last time I checked British Columbia is a long ways from Alabama so it isn't your land either. You can do whatever you want with your bears.

we can send them some wolves ....

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
DTala, you are wrong.

You are probably a good, knowledgeable person with a lot of experience, but other people have experience also.

Fostering ANY animal until it can be released back into the wild, WITHOUT getting the animal habituated to humans, is difficult at best.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
quote:

we can send them some wolves ....

Now there's an idea. We can send them on the same truck as the bears. Might as well make it full.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
DTala, you are wrong.

You are probably a good, knowledgeable person with a lot of experience, but other people have experience also.

Fostering ANY animal until it can be released back into the wild, WITHOUT getting the animal habituated to humans, is difficult at best.

I'd near bet none of the posters have ANY experience in rehabbing or in Conservation law enforcement, except maybe getting a ticket.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
DTala, you are wrong.

I'd near bet none of the posters have ANY experience in rehabbing or in Conservation law enforcement, except maybe getting a ticket.

You would loose that bet--

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought we were talking bout bear cubs, not babies???

I'm shocked to see a veteran CO calling cubs and fawns "babies".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm offended that you are shocked....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pay up DTala you just LOST your bet.

I worked 25 years at a major zoo here in Texas and we got all kinds of native wildlife to rehabilitate. The section I was in charge was dedicated to Native Texas wildlife and we got all kinds of wild "Babies" in the spring including white tails and young javelina, I even hand reared a badger.

Before that I held a Federal Wild Bird rehabilitators Permit for Sand hill Cranes for a few years.

Don't go trying to judge folks you have never met, based on just what you have experienced, people can fool you about experiences they have had but just don't talk about very much.

The vast majority of the time it is more merciful to put down young animals, especially those that are still largely dependent of the mother, if they are orphaned for whatever reason.

Any that require serious amounts of hand rearing never fit back in to the wild, and most zoos today will not take in orphaned/rehabilitated animals.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wasn't refering to you Crazy, I knew of your zoo time...

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you haven't farmed under circumstances where killing every bear is legal and normal. I've a hunch that you've never had to put your trust in a pack of deterrence hounds and a questionable electric fencing just to make a living. Heck I'll even go out on a limb and guess that you've never had a friend or co-worker killed by a bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the thing DTala. Lots of us have had all kinds of experiences.

Just like all the times I have hunted Late Season Cow Elk in western Colorado just off of Grand Mesa.

By the time I do those hunts in Mid to Late December - Early January, those cows are nearly ALL carrying twin calf fetuses, the size of a week old white tail fawn.

Many hunters won't do it, because with one shot your killing three elk, but it is set up that way as a realistic management practice.

I am not cold hearted or cold blooded, but God put us humans on Earth as Stewards of the planet and part of that responsibility is sometimes doing things that are distasteful, but are in the best overall interest of the specie(s) involved and the overall health of the Natural part of the planet.

Sorry if I offended you, I have just seen too many instances of kindness doing a lot more harm than good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry if I offended you, I have just seen too many instances of kindness doing a lot more harm than good.
Like 'saving the mustangs' ... by putting them in a feedlot!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like 'saving the mustangs' ... by putting them in a feedlot!!

That has always been a Hot Button issue, due to the average persons attitude toward horses, especially Americans.

The problem is, depending on a persons religious ideology, horses evolved in North America but then migrated across the Bering Land Bridge to Asia, and died out completely in North America.

There were no equines in North America until the Spanish started bringing them to America in the early 1500's.

In American Indian history, the Plains tribes who depending on the source, became the greatest horsemen on the planet, accomplished that over a span of about 300 years + or -.

In actuality horses and burros are harder on the environment than sheep, and being larger are much more destructive.