THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Average shot length on Plains game/NW Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Average shot length on Plains game/NW Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those of you who have hunted in that area, what is an average shot length on plains game? Closest, farthest? Is it as open as sothern Namibia? Thanks in advance.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted near Etosha and would say the average would be less than 150 yards.

The mopane covered hillsides were deceptive in that you could glass from another hillside and see game clearly. Once you had gotten over to their hill, and in the brush with the game, you couldn't see them until you were very close.

I shot an eland at less than 50 yards and almost took a shot at a zebra at something over 200 yards.

I've never been to southern Namibia, nor do I know if all areas of NW Namibia are the same as where we were.

Good luck!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
My two longest shots last year were: Zebra, 170 yards and Warthog, 150 yards.

Hartebeest, Kudu, Oryx and Blue Wildebeest were all 60 to 80 yards.

Hunting just east of Omaruru, Namibia.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Last year I hunted the same area as McCray and my shots were:

Zebra--80 yds.
Gemsbok--200 yds.
Kudu--300 yds.
Steenbok--20 yds.

Average--150yds.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13615 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I hunted west of Etosha with Vaughan Fulton and the longest was on a Hartmans Zebra at app 300 yds. In southern Nam. a couple of years ago I shot a Springbok at 330 yds distance measured by Lieca range finder. Dik-Dik was at about 15 yds.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in the NW near Kamanjab, and one shot was 200 yds, the others 40 to 150 yards. We spotted from kopjes, then stalked closer. We could have taken longer shots, but never were we in a situation that we couldn't stalk to under 200. Heck, most of the fun of the hunt was the stalking. Long distance sniping was unnecessary and would have made the trip much less exciting. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180-200yds.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted in July '04 by different methods - water holes, blinds, spot/stalk, drive & hop out. Shot 13 animals at ranges from 60 to 360 yards. Average for all shooting was 180 yards.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with Vaughan Fulton Sept 03, zebra and gemsbok about 100 yards, eland about 225/250 yards. used a 1.4-4X scope on a Win 70 375 H&H. The eland was probably pushing the upper limit of the scope but it worked. Most of the shots were done after stalking animal for a distance to get as close as possible which made it much more exciting.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 225 yard jackal and a springbuck at I think 280, everything else was 150 yards or less. There is enough cover to get close, except in when hunting springbuck, which was more like hunting Wyoming antelope. I also had a hell of a time getting close to hartebeest, but finally killed one at 150 yards on the run.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote