Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia with Hannes du Plessis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted
Went to a QDM banquet tonight and won the bid on a 7 day hunt at Bergzicht Game Lodge for plains game. Would a 7mm mag be enough for the larger stuff or should I take my 375? Thanks for the advice. Also has anyone hunted there?

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine going to Africa and not bringing a .375H&H.

It is the quintessential African hunting cartridge.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well George, i must agree cause I always bring mine. But, there is no plainsgame that cannot be sucessfully hunted with the 7mm mag. Be especially careful of shot placement on zebra and eland. Use premium bullets.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm terribly fond of having a .375 handy as well but I'd say the ultimate answer lies in which one you shoot best.

Good placement and good bullets in the 7mm Mag. will make it as deadly as you'd ever need for what you're doing.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why not take both?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a 50 Alaskan !

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,

Are your trophy fees paid for?? Then I would not worry if you make a poor shot the 375 will do its job...But if you have fees to pay crush them with the 375 any angle will work...
Correction to my wording and response... Eeker

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
I think I will take both.Good idea.

Retreever, "I would not worry if you make a poor shot" That's an intresting statement and certainly not the attitude I have as a hunter.

Thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mo:
Went to a QDM banquet tonight and won the bid on a 7 day hunt at Bergzicht Game Lodge for plains game. Would a 7mm mag be enough for the larger stuff or should I take my 375? Thanks for the advice. Also has anyone hunted there?

I am all for the answerGeorgeS gave you, but I'd probably take both just because it shouldn't cost any more.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,

I didn't hunt with Hannes specifically, but did hunt on Bergzicht one day for mountain zebra. Hannes and his wife were very friendly and have a very cool lodge. I cannot give you much more insight than that, but we had coffee and rusks with them in the morning and a very, very refreshing Tafel in the afternoon once we got the zeeb under control.

I don't think you'll have any worries! ENjoy your trip.

K

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine who was responsible for getting the hunt donated has hunted there twice and had good things to say about it . I would like to try and pick up a cape buff after this hunt if thats possible. I have a leupold 1.5x5 on the 375, is that enough scope for this type of hunt where shots can be up to 300yds? or should I put a 3.5x10x40mm on it? What factory loads for the 375 and 7mag?
thanks

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,

My intent is and always has been as a hunter to make the shot...My wording was wrong in that, if you wanted to use the 7mm mag so be it and shoot it...I personally always shoot a big rifle in africa the minimum being a 375 and up to a 458 Lott..Knowing that the big gun will make up for human error...
As groundhog hunter I aim small and miss small.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,

I am by no means an expert on Namibia or buffalo, but to my knowledge you'll be quite a ways from any buff at Bergzicht. I think there are a few in the Waterberg Plateau area, but don't know if they are hunted. Otherwise you are looking at a long trip to Caprivi Strip if you want buff in Namibia.

K

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,

For buff you will be shooting a solid with the 375 IMO...The Bridger or North Fork solids are the way to go..You should not be shooting at a buff beyond 100yds. or a hair more..As for velocity a 300gr at 2500 fps..RL15 That rifle will work well with that scope..
Do not shoot a 7mm but I also would shoot a big bullet in 175gr. and get up the velocity as high as possible to make the premium bullet work...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I also have a 300wtby. What i am going to do is make a set of sticks and practice on the 200 yd range at my club. The 375 is new , I've put about 100 rds through it and really enjoy this gun. Have shot 270grn fed. tbbc , 300grn rem a-frames and 300 grn Norm solids this is a very accurate rifle.
The weatherby I'm familiar with 180 partitions and the 7mag I bought from Jimva on the classifieds don't have it yet but it is a mod 70 like the 375. I may just shoot a butt load of plains game and do the buff next year. This will be my 1st safari and I am excited, and I do plan on adding leopard to the list

thanks