Tools

Zimbabwe: Crocodile Mauls Tourist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201801030278.html

Zimbabwe: Crocodile Mauls Tourist

By Abigail Mawonde

A tourist was attacked and killed by crocodiles in Matopos National Park, Matabeleland South, on Sunday while another was seriously injured. Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority spokesman Mr Tinashe Farawo confirmed the incident to The Herald today.

"John Bowman and Rosemary Mitchell were attacked while peddling in the crocodile infested Mpopoma Dam in Matopos National Park. The couple was on holiday together with their colleagues. The two were rushed to the hospital where Bowman died before arrival. Mitchell is in intensive care unit in Bulawayo," he said.

Mr Farawo said the incident was regretted.

"The matter was reported to police. We encourage our tourists to stay away from wild animals. No matter how domesticated they are, they can be dangerous. It is unfortunate that they were using air pumped boats which are not permissible," he said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NMcollektor
posted Hide Post
By "air-pumped boat," do they mean a raft?
Who would raft with crocs?

"Brevity is the sole of wit." - Rudyard Kipling.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 28 November 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who would raft with crocs?

Snowflakes who watch too much Disney.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had hunters wives and one lady hunter who was wading in the Ruaha in front of out camp in Tanzania, Got upset when I told her to get the hell out of the water, three days later she got in a native boat and was poling dowh a croc infested water way..We had another episode. I told her this was her last warning and I would put her on a plane home if she pulled one more stupid stunt and survived it...She behaved herself after that, but insisted I ruined her safari, I said were even in that case!! Thinking back I wish Id of fed her to the crocs.

Some peoples children.. cuckoo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad story.

At least Mr Farawo regretted it.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well over several decades ago I had the "privilege" of being one among several PHs to guide a select entourage of SCI hot shots which included wives and semi-adult sons/daughters.

After a few days when boredom set in among the younger group, they they thought they would have a blast by taking a swim in the river just beneath the bank of the mess tent - the sound of giggles and shrieks attracted my attention and when I found them where they were, advised they would have made for some tasty snack to the resident croc population.

It goes without saying that my words of advice typically fell on deaf ears and so as not to spoil their moment of cheap thrills briefly took off and returned with DR fully primed and ready to roll.

This of course brought more dumb-assed comments from the young ignorant group but I knew that I would relish the moment to come later in the evening.

Sure enough and just after dinner had been done and dusted, armed with a flashlight, I did call the obnoxious kids over to the bank where, in the beam of light only several feet below, shone dozens of pairs of "fairy lights" most of which were distanced by a decent gap. Wink

I thereafter invited them to get geared up for a midnight swim.

Needless to say the previously vociferous throats went suddenly dry and nobody ventured anywhere near the water for the remainder of the safari during which several very decent specimen were shot.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I guess we were lucky to have survived. Our PH encouraged us to go for a swim, I must have been a really obnoxious client.

The picture was taken from the camp Saeed now hunts in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That SCI hunt took place on the same river, several miles upstream. Cool

A 15' croc was taken by one of my clients a couple of miles downstream from Saeed's present camp (shortly before he took over the concession).

Its only after someone gets swallowed that the "Oh's and Ah's" begin. Big Grin

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Sad story!! R.I.P Mr Bowman thinking of his family and friends

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who rafts the Zambezi below Vic Falls is rafting in waters with crocs. Thousands do it every year. As long as the current is swift, there is no problem, but when the rafts are in calm waters, like launching,lunch breaks, or exiting, the raft crews are very careful. Done it twice, myself. Probably less risky than hunting tuskless cows in the jesse.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
As Thierry stated quite tragic.

Probably a couple out fishing in a small inflatable and not really aware of the danger.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NMcollektor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
Anyone who rafts the Zambezi below Vic Falls is rafting in waters with crocs. Thousands do it every year. As long as the current is swift, there is no problem, but when the rafts are in calm waters, like launching,lunch breaks, or exiting, the raft crews are very careful. Done it twice, myself. Probably less risky than hunting tuskless cows in the jesse.

Hmm. I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarity on this. Still, a tragic misstep.

"Brevity is the sole of wit." - Rudyard Kipling.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 28 November 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty perfect place to dump a bucket of blood and scraps in 50 yards upstream just to hear the uproar.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6000 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paddle regularly 30 km upstream from my regular hunting spot where there is huge crocs. There is little sign of crocs in the mountains but we treat it as dangerous.

Where the river gets squeezed into a dark and deep ravine I can feel the presence of every 14 foot croc that has passed there in the last 1 million years. I get cold shivers running down my spine every time!!

Posts: 402 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the news stories here were accurate - one bad piece of journalism cut and pasted by the wire services. (1) neither party was a tourist; they were both Zimbabweans; (2) the area is signposted against using boats, and an inflatable was ridiculous in any case; (3) John Bowman was not touched by a croc - he was 93 and died probably from shock.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote