Find
Notify
Tools

Videotographer recommendations??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To Al,

I am considering having a video guy on the hunt in May 2006. Does anyone have any recommendations or knowledge for a reference? How about pricing?

Thanks,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently we don't have a correction option.

To All.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SAM:
Apparently we don't have a correction option.

To All.

Sam

At the bottom right corner of your post you should see a folder with a pencil eraser over it. Click on that to edit.

N E 450 No2 used a videographer on his last hunt that he really liked. You could PM him or do a search for the information.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While in Dallas I met and we had dinner with a young guy named Ian Lewis, who was visiting with Dale from Brooklands. He can be seen in the far back of the group at Ray's birthday party. He gave me a sample DVD which showed some very fine footage and real skill with a camera. Over the shoulder and no flinching. Good angles and very high quality. Very clean edits and overall very professional. His prices were not outrageous but I felt very reasonable considering all that he included with the work.
He mentioned having done the camera work for Tony- also at the party. Maybe Tony will step in to add more information. I have his prices but you should probably contact him directly at
Safarivideo@zol.co.zw
or website: www.safarivideos.com
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian Lewis videoed my 21 day Safari last June.
Not only is he an excellent videographe, he is an excellent person to have around the fire at night. I highly recommend him. He will be doing my next Safari for sure.
He is a pretty good tracker too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
How much money are we talking about, ballpark?

I assume we have to pay their observer fees + their professional fees?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never used one but was contacted by a guy in bulawayo who is supposed to be quite good. He charged something like 200/day plus observor fees, plus travel, plus hotel etc. Ends up being quite a chunk of $$

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many Safari companies will waive the observer rate for the videographer.
Having Ian video my Safari was some of the best money I ever spent.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Savage Moon Productions from RSA. You can contact them through Madubula Safaris and John Abraham.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I've a video of Nickudu which is great!!
Ask him who has done it.

I also think is one of the best investments someone can do during a safari, it will keep memories alive!!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the information. And to Charles for the pointer on the correction tool.

I have not been able to find or locate the safari company that was mentioned as a contact for the video guy. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers to all,

Sam

eclemmons@hotmail.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
While in Dallas I met and we had dinner with a young guy named Ian Lewis, who was visiting with Dale from Brooklands. He can be seen in the far back of the group at Ray's birthday party. He gave me a sample DVD which showed some very fine footage and real skill with a camera. Over the shoulder and no flinching. Good angles and very high quality. Very clean edits and overall very professional. His prices were not outrageous but I felt very reasonable considering all that he included with the work.
He mentioned having done the camera work for Tony- also at the party. Maybe Tony will step in to add more information. I have his prices but you should probably contact him directly at
Safarivideo@zol.co.zw
or website: http://www.safarivideos.com
Frank

Frank,

I wonder how muc their normal daily rate is?

As they mentioned that for the hunter to retain copyright to his hunt film, he has to pay an additional $150 per day.

This sounds a bit strange, as I would have thought the hunter has the rights to his own hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68651 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is very common here for "Artists"- ie. photographers, videographers, graphic artists and others, to retain the copyright to all works created. It allows the artist the ability to reproduce, reproduce-for-sale, print and or use the original images in any way or at any time they see fit. It prevents others from copying and profiteering from images produced. It particularly protects the artist from having poor quality images flooding the market at cheap prices while the original art becomes un-saleable due to these imitations. There are a substantial number of lawsuits filed every year by recording artists and the movie industry to protect their own interests.
I produce thousands of images every year as a professional photographer and I "Waive" my copyright over to the client at the end of our contract. Usually this is immediate if the original agreement involves a large enough financial settlement or I offer the images for sale at a later date if the client does not desire ownership prior to the commencement of production.
The only time I am aware of where these accepted rules are not generally enacted is when large companies or companies with good lawyers include in the contract that all images AND copyright are the property of the company. This is typical of slogans, images for advertisement of a particular property or jingles. I had heard at one time that the person who created the images used by Coca Cola got something like $50 for the originals and all copyright.
I cannot speak for anyone else but I know I am always open to negotiation re: copyright and ownership and that if a client says they do not ever want images used in display or my own personal advertising I DON'T DO IT. I JUST GIVE THEM THE IMAGES AND SAY THANK YOU. It does me a lot more good to have someone passing my name around on a positive note.
This may not answer the question but it is my opinion of why some things may be as they are.
I would prefer not to post the daily rates I have for fear of mis-quoating.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Junior
posted Hide Post
There is a new outfit out of Bozeman Montana, work mostly fishing but are up for anything. Contact at www.reelhard.com

Posts: 56 | Location: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Thank you for the explanation of hwo photographers work.

Funny enough, we've had a few pro do some photos for us here in Dubai, and the question of who has the right to the material has never been in question, as we make that understood right at the beginning.

On all my African hunts, the videos have been taken by my very good friend Alan Vincent. He is the son of my PH. He is also a PH.

At the end of the hunt, I get all the tapes, and again, the question of who the right to use the material has never, ever, been in question.

I suppose one lives and learns someothing new every day.

I just cannot find myself aggreeing to the terms that the photographer owns the copyright to a hunt I have paid him to do for me. And if I want to but that back I have to pay extra.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68651 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PROVIDEO in Pietersburg (Polokwane)
guy by the name of Chris Pelser, he won a couple of awards.

Tell it as it is!

Posts: 29 | Location: South Africa (Limpopo) | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I would have thought copyright belongs to the person commissioning the work. Something anyone doing so should ensure is covered I guess. I certainly wouldn't commission someone who wanted to own the copyright if I paid all the $$$$$$$$$$!

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I said when the original agreement is for the ownership and copyright to belong to the person paying the bills there is never any doublt in my mind who should own everything. I personally started doing it because I had too large a collection of negatives and video tape to continue to house. When photographers keep the copyrights and all subsequent materials they also must accept the liability and responsibility to maintain those materials in a safe and pristine manner. That means file cabinets which are fireproof and filing systems which allow individual images to be pulled out at any time they might be needed. When I had my office and studio that wasn't a problem but when I began to work from my home office it was a very real problem.
In my conversations with Ian- Please note this is not speaking for him but rather is my impression of him- I felt he was a very easy guy to communicate with. I would hope that anyone would be willing to accept the conditions put forth by the individual doing the hiring.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see a website listed, but here is Savage Moon's info:

Savage Moon Productions
277 Oribi Road
Bisley Heights 3201
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Phone: 27 33 386 2952
Fax: 27 33 386 2954
savagemoon@mweb.co.za

I've seen their work and it is great. Good Luck!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Junior,
Mike Murri of "Reelhard" is a personal friend. I know his work, and he is very, very good. He and my son worked for the same outfitter in Alaska many moons ago.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a general rule, the owner of the project is the one who commissions the work. We have never had a problem in this area, but then again, I own all of the equipment for our projects, and employ the crew on a contract basis. However, if the "artist" is using his or her own equipment, tape stock, etc. and/or EDITING the project, and nothing is stated to the contrary, then the videographer has, at least, an argument of ownership of the copyright, especially in lands with disparate intellectual property laws.

The simple fix is to get it in writing up front. Nothing fancy is needed, but the operative wording in the contract is that the videographer's employment is considered WORK FOR HIRE. These three words clear up any ambiguity as to who owns the project.

*************************Conservationist. Reformed Attorney. Producer of Outdoor Media.

www.stevescott.tv

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
If you are still shopping I can recommend a professional outfit in Africa that specializes in hunting video production.

Drop me an email...

aspenhill@triton.net

~Ann

Posts: 19549 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote