THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Need East Texas Taxidermy Help for African Hides

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need East Texas Taxidermy Help for African Hides
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My trophies from my March 2010 RSA hunt were just finally delivered. Tanned blue wildebeest, kudu, and impala flat skins. Blue wildebeest, kudu, impala, and warthog bleached skulls.

I’d like to have a backing added to the wildebeest and kudu skins to use them as rugs. I work overseas most of the year, but will be home in east Texas for a few weeks in the second half of August. Is there anyone in East Texas that could add a nice backing to these skins so they can be used as rugs?

Is there anyone in East Texas who can bronze the skulls and mount them on either pedestal or wall (preferably pedestal) stained wood stands?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brazos Jack:
My trophies from my March 2010 RSA hunt were just finally delivered. Tanned blue wildebeest, kudu, and impala flat skins. Blue wildebeest, kudu, impala, and warthog bleached skulls.

I’d like to have a backing added to the wildebeest and kudu skins to use them as rugs. I work overseas most of the year, but will be home in east Texas for a few weeks in the second half of August. Is there anyone in East Texas that could add a nice backing to these skins so they can be used as rugs?

Is there anyone in East Texas who can bronze the skulls and mount them on either pedestal or wall (preferably pedestal) stained wood stands?

PM DDRHOOK for the bronzing. I've got one of his bronzed skulls & love it to bits!

As for the rest, personally I think backing picks up all the dirt, dust & other crap but if you want it done, I think Buckshot Taxidermy & our own Smarterthanu are in the DFW area......... Don't know if that's East Texas though. bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Jerry huffaker is in Abilene and I know its not East TX but Jerry does a great job and has been doing Africa mounts for years. It might be worth contacting him. 1-325-672-2778.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of "east Texas" between, say, Galveston and Texarkana - like about 300 miles N to S and however far you want to go West for you defination of "East".. If you are close to Humble, suggest you check with Dale Biggers.

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second for ddrhook for the bronzes. Hes in Dallas and I have seen his work-very nice.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
You might check with Mike Simpson at Conroe Taxidermy in Conroe. It's closer but still a bit of a drive from Tyler or Kilgore.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerry huffaker is in Abilene and I know its not East TX but Jerry does a great job and has been doing Africa mounts for years. It might be worth contacting him. 1-325-672-2778.

+1 thumb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I've used Rhodes Taxidermy for several years - They are awesome! Give them a call - 830-896-6996

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
You might check with Mike Simpson at Conroe Taxidermy in Conroe. It's closer but still a bit of a drive from Tyler or Kilgore.

Ditto on Mike and Conroe which is just outside of Houston.

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fly into Houston and drive to Tyler. So both Conroe and Humble are not much out of the way.

Getting to ddrhook in DFW is trickier. I'll have to see if I can get his phone number before I leave in a couple of days.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Mr. Huffaker. Might have to ship them, but he does good work.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In East Texas,,,,,Sportsman Memories in Grapeland Texas...Talk to either Trip, Little nate,, or Big Nate.... I love these east texas nicknames! If you don't mind going to West Texas you have good references there as well..You can google their website. They have done tons of African lifesize mounts for my friends and rugs as well. We just got back from Namibia yesterday and they are mounting all of our animals this year, we are not doing them in Africa, the savings to us wasn't worth the extra shipping and freight..Keep your money where you live if you can,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
What ever you do DON'T have them done in Kilgore!!!!

Sportsmans Memories does a good job in Grapeland.

I forget the name of the shop in Brady but they do great bronze work.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote