Tools

SA PH killed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted
Elephant kills South African hunter

May 12 2007 at 02:36PM

Johannesburg - South African professional hunter Christo Kaiser has been killed by an elephant in Botswana.

Kaiser, 40, the owner of Unico Hunting Safaris in Lephalale (formerly Ellisras), died on Friday, a close friend of his, Phillip Bronkhorst, said on Saturday.

"He was killed in the northern part of Botswana on Friday morning. He was killed by an elephant," said Bronkhorst.

He said no details of the incident were known, but nobody else was injured.

Kaiser had been accompanying four Spanish hunters who wanted to shoot elephant.

His body would remain in Maun, Botswana, until a post mortem had been carried out.

Bronkhorst said the rest of the group was on its way back to South Africa.

Unico's website offers hunts with a range of trophies, starting at USD 250 (about R1,733) for a jackal, USD12,000 (about R83,227) for a buffalo, USD29,000 (about R201,134) for a lion and USD47,500 (about R335,590) for a rhino.

The cost of elephant trophies is available "on request".

Sapa

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
How unfortunate... I saw him, his family and hunting ranch featured in a magazine just a few weeks ago. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tragic accident and condolances to the family..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
My prayers to his family. Such sad news. May he RIP.

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am scheduled for a 21 day safari with Unico in Mozambique July 4th this year. Christo will be a big loss to our hunting community!! He was a stand up PH that will be missed by many including me.

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See Death of a friend post. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace .My respect to his family.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family. Sometimes we take these hunts for granted, and it is only when tragedy strikes that we are re-awakened to the fact that these animals we pursue are dangerous; and that so often it is the PH that stands between us and tragedy.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500nitro:
Kaiser had been accompanying four Spanish hunters who wanted to shoot elephant.

Four clients, One PH, 4x1 hunting elephant? Confused

Maybe more details are yet to be revealed.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
So sad this happened ... may he rest in peace

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I never hunted with him however I met Christo on several hunts...he was friends with my PH. It is a very sad bit of news.....I was told that he had spotted a bull while driving and left the vehicle to check it out. He left his rifle in the truck. A cow elephant came at him from the side and took him out. The only witness was a game scout that was with him. It took 15 or 20 minutes for the other PH's to discover what happened and to come in and assist...they had to use the truck to run off the cow. As I understand Christo lived for several hours and was talking when the medical chopper came. Unfortunately his injuries were too severe and he did not make it to the hospital. I was told his wife is handling the situation as good as can be expected. Thankfully Christo had prepared for such tragedy and his family will not have financial burden.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Man, this is a sad one.

I met Christo a couple of times, and my brother and his son hunted with Christo 2 years ago. Came away with lifetime memories of both their first African hunt and their outfitter. Trip couldn't have been any better.

Very tragic.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Christo at DSC this year.I was introduced by a friend that has hunted with him on quite a few occasions, taking all of the big five, the rhino a dart hunt.I have heard nothing but good things about him.My prayers go out to his family.

If any more details become available I hope they will show up here.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote