THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Has anybody on here taken a .30-30 Win to Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anybody on here taken a .30-30 Win to Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone on here taken a .30-30 Winchester on safari in Africa? I would love to hear the stories if anybody has. I have a love for the .30-30 because I shot my first deer with it at age 10 so that is why I'm asking. Not planning on taking one if I get to go to Africa but I just wondered (for conversation's sake) if anybody has. If so, tell me what the PH thought of its performance. Big Grin

Posts: 67 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Eeeuuu, this should be fun! I'm on your side buddy, believe me, but the diatribe is probably forthcoming; you brush-busting Pennsylvania heathen. ('Shot my first buck with one also, a Marlin...the horror! I was 11 though. Still got it and it's still deadly accurate.) My extremely limited experience, around an extremely cantankerous PH revealed exactly one experience with a lever gun that was not, according to his version of the story, a pleasant experience. But, this could be attributable to the same scenario that afflicts other visitors to Africa, no matter what the type of reloading mechanism, if they buy a new rifle and don't practice enough with it. If you do get to go to Africa, do take a larger caliber bolt or double along, but, it's your money, take the tirdy-tirdy for fun also. Who know's, maybe you can change some opinions.

"Let the games begin!"

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
My brother and I shot a few impala and duiker etc when we were teenagers with a 25-20. My dad still has it but we ran out of bullets years ago.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Christian, not a 30-30, but a 45-70 leveraction, for my 1st safari, to Africa.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=304103498#304103498

If you have one, and are good with it, take it. It will do serviceable duty on a variety of plains game. Impala, blesbok, warthog, bushpig, and many others. Heck it can even work on the bigger plains game, as long as you get close enough,and correctly place your shot. A lot depends on where you hunt, and if you can get close enough. Keep following your dream, boy. Wink

maddog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog, great hunt report! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip, and the GG added its own unique flavour.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
Eeeuuu, this should be fun! I'm on your side buddy, believe me, but the diatribe is probably forthcoming; you brush-busting Pennsylvania heathen. ('Shot my first buck with one also, a Marlin...the horror! I was 11 though. Still got it and it's still deadly accurate.) My extremely limited experience, around an extremely cantankerous PH revealed exactly one experience with a lever gun that was not, according to his version of the story, a pleasant experience. But, this could be attributable to the same scenario that afflicts other visitors to Africa, no matter what the type of reloading mechanism, if they buy a new rifle and don't practice enough with it. If you do get to go to Africa, do take a larger caliber bolt or double along, but, it's your money, take the tirdy-tirdy for fun also. Who know's, maybe you can change some opinions.

"Let the games begin!"
I would certainly take another rifle. Maybe I'll have to take a thuddy-thuddy along for fun if I do get to go........

Posts: 67 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Handled a lightweight double in the caliber last year at DSC and thought it'd be a pretty neat rig for plains game.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Have to admit that many of us in Africa consider a 30-30 in lever action a nice little novelty for tin cans and maybe spending the day stalking a warthog when the rest of the hunting is done.
When you are getting paid for your client's success, then you hope he has a well-scoped 7mm or 30-06 with good bullets!
Also admit to very little experience with any lever actions so will defer to those who know better!

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
My son's girlfriend took a Marlin thudy-thuddy in August to RSA. She shot a zebra & a kudu with it. One shot put both animals down but not dead. Both needed a finishing round. He had purchased the Horandy lever-ution ammo. He was not impressed with the performance of the ammo & said that he thought plain old Remingon cor-lokt would have done better.

The joke around camp was about her "rabbit gun" by the Ph's.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
My brother and I shot a few impala and duiker etc when we were teenagers with a 25-20. My dad still has it but we ran out of bullets years ago.

Dave,

You should be able to get either loaded ammo or components from Ken Stewart in Pietersburg.

You should be able to contact him at stewbullets@mweb.co.za but if you can't, email me for his phone number.

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Christian Snyder:
Has anyone on here taken a .30-30 Winchester on safari in Africa? I would love to hear the stories if anybody has. I have a love for the .30-30 because I shot my first deer with it at age 10 so that is why I'm asking. Not planning on taking one if I get to go to Africa but I just wondered (for conversation's sake) if anybody has. If so, tell me what the PH thought of its performance. Big Grin

There's no reason why you shouldn't take your 30-30. I'm sure you're aware of the limitations in terms of shooting distancess etc. but there is nothing wrong with the caliber IMO as far as plains game hunting is concerned.

Levergun Hunt 2006

Levergun Hunt 2007

Levergun Hunt 2010

I've had the pleasure of hosting levergun enthusiasts annually for the last 4 years and have a little experience with these rifles and the various calibers.

Regards,

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

Dave,

You should be able to get either loaded ammo or components from Ken Stewart in Pietersburg.

You should be able to contact him at stewbullets@mweb.co.za but if you can't, email me for his phone number.

Thanks Steve, I will drop him a line, would be nice to get some more ammo.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave,

He's not always the fastest in the world to reply so be prepared to wait a few days or possibly weeks for him to get back to you! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 is the calibre of choice for firing squad executions in Utah.

Apparently it has done a pretty good job (no survivors) over the years, then again I suppose we are talking about the two legged variety of animals.

Maybe it would be suitable for baboons. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of us started out with 30/30 s because the were relatively cheap and readily available. Many deer size animals have fallen to this round. That said they is no way
I would take one to Africa to hunt. First it has poor ballistics. Second I would want something shooting faster and flatter. I would also want heavy for caliber premium bulletts. When the trophy fees get expensive it changes the equation. Unless you just want to try and prove something it wouldnt be my choice. This would be espeially true for larger antelope or certainly any of the dangerous stuff.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Many of us started out with 30/30 s because the were relatively cheap and readily available. Many deer size animals have fallen to this round. That said they is no way
I would take one to Africa to hunt. First it has poor ballistics. Second I would want something shooting faster and flatter. I would also want heavy for caliber premium bulletts. When the trophy fees get expensive it changes the equation. Unless you just want to try and prove something it wouldnt be my choice. This would be espeially true for larger antelope or certainly any of the dangerous stuff.

The ballistics don't bother me. Buffalo Bore loads a 190 gr at 2200 fps (I believe that is the speed). I see no issue with this load out to 100 yards on plains-game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTroskie:
quote:
Originally posted by Christian Snyder:

There's no reason why you shouldn't take your 30-30. I'm sure you're aware of the limitations in terms of shooting distancess etc. but there is nothing wrong with the caliber IMO as far as plains game hunting is concerned.

Levergun Hunt 2006

Levergun Hunt 2007

Levergun Hunt 2010

I've had the pleasure of hosting levergun enthusiasts annually for the last 4 years and have a little experience with these rifles and the various calibers.

Regards,
I am fully aware of its limitations. If I was to use a .30-30 Winchester I would use the Buffalo Bore load that I just mentioned. However, I would always take a .270 or .30-06 along, not just a .30-30 Win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's more about where you shoot the animal and what bullets you use, than what you shoot it with. You can lose an impala if you shoot it in the wrong place with a 375 H&H, esp using a solid. On the other hand, at least one buffalo has been shot with a 22 Hornet.

Now there are some limits of course. You can't take a raking shot on a larger animal with a caliber/bullet that will not penetrate. For example, a 300 Weatherby Mag is a poor choice for blue wildebeest unless you use tough bullets.

The 30-30 would be just fine on broadside shots on all plains game species within 100 yards, except eland, wildebeest, and zebra. In my opinion, it is a perfectly adequate cartridge for impala, bushbuck, nyala, duikers, and even kudu in the bushveld. If anyone wants to do this right, I have some 30-30 cal double rifles in stock, some with addl 28ga barrels.

I would not take one to Namibia, OFS or the E Cape. Shots are generally too far.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote