Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 or 416?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I'm with MHC TX on this one. If you have a 338, then you can step up to the 416 and give yourself a wider caliber spectrum. I'd get both! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here's what you need to hunt elephant:

1. An intimate knowledge of elephant physiology;

[might I suggest, Roberston's The Perfect Shot and the article at African Hunter Magazine];

2. Plenty of rounds of ammunition and lots of off-hand shooting practice;

3. Good physical conditioning; and

4. A rifle that you shoot well and can handle quickly. (I would prefer a .416 or larger, but if you can't handle the recoil - better a well placed shot from a .375 than a lousy shot from a .416). You need to be deadly accurate with your first shot on elephant (especially in a herd situation where a quick follow-up shot may be difficult).

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .416 given the fact that you already own a .338. As already said this is a nice combo for Africa.

I find the various .416's fairly nice to shoot. Of course recoil is a subjective thing.

Some of the old codgers on this sight can't handle recoil anymore as the osteo has taken hold and the bones are getting brittle. Not to mention recoil is rough on the dentures and makes one leak in his depends. Or so I'm told...

Ray I promise I wasn't JUST speaking of you....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry double post.