New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack O'Connor's 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yep, sports fans, Jack had a 416!!! I was rummaging through my archives last night for a bit of information and came across a photo of Jack's 416 Rigby, this is from an article published some 40 years ago. The caption below the rifle is:

"416 Rigby rifle owned by Jack O'Connor. Metal work by Tom Burgess, Spokane, Wash., stock by Bob Johnson, also of Spokane. Brevax magnum Mauser action, 24 inch barrel, ramp front sight, adjustable express rear. Weaver K2.5 scope on special Burgess bases with Redfield rings, Canjar trigger, special Burgess safety, front swivel base sweated to barrel. This 10-1/2 pound rifle is used with 416 cases made from 378 and 460 Weatherby cases with the belts turned off. Load is the 400 gr. Barnes bullet in front of 105 grains of 4831, velocity 2500 fps and energy is 5,652 pounds."

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John,
I think the photo was usesd in Jacks' book:
"The Complete Book of Rifles & Shotguns".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack also used one of the .450 magnums in a story about a buff that took a lot of hits...I think it was the.450 Watts.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got the Rifles & Shotguns book also, but the photo I am refering to is in a old Gun Digest, it has both sides of the rifle shown. Nice looking gun, Ray would not be ashamed to use it. And I think I have the 450 Watts story somewhere, just prooves that a shot in the wrong place doesn't work, even if it is a 458 or bigger. But, Jack's writings always interested me, back in my younger years I could not wait for the next month's issue to show up and see what adventures he had been into! A great scribe, wish he was still around.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I remember his writings about that rifle! In those days Rigby brass was simply unavailable so he used to turn the belts off Weatherby .460's and .378's and run them through a die to fit. He mentioned that the recoil was sufficient to knock something (ears?) off a brass monkey. I like my .450 better.

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Arthur Olds>
posted
Gentlemen...at one time, Mr. O's .416 was on display at RCBS, now Huntingtons, in Calif. Part of misspent youth in that place...what a fine piece of work it was, too. Given the pedigree of the workmen, and the shooter who loved fine work, it met all the criteria, lovely to look at, a pure joy to hold...Arthur

<HBH>
posted
John,
And such are the reasons that this dyed in the wool whitetail hunter desires a Rigby.

Growing up beleiving that Jack was the greatest author of any printed page. I still read his books from time to time.

And I think that nostalgia is the reason the Rigby is still alive and kicking. I know that given a choice I would pick the old 416.
In Ray's type of rifle.

HBH