New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Offering for AR Members Only
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunters Headquarters would like to offer AR Members only two items from Camelback.
This offer starts Monday July 25 and ends Friday Aug. 26th.
Camelback MG Mule $82
Camelback MG Hawg $99
Shipping in the lower 48 is $7
Please note this is the military version and not the recreational version. The Military version has the heavy duty bag etc. Will last much longer and take harsher treatment.
See http://www.camelback.com
A great way to pack your gear and your water!
http://www.hunters-hq.com

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT so you don't miss out on ordering tomorrow.

one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
I took advantage of both the Tuffpak and the Surefire offers, and have been very satisfied. I have a question about the choices available on the current AR Member offer, based on what I can see from the Camelback website.

My last trip was to Zim, and I hear there are other countries that have problems with camouflage items. Not to mention, I personally prefer not to carry cammo through airports and such. Black packs turn into little ovens when they’re strapped to the top of the hunting truck. Given all of that, is there anything available in solid OD, Tan, Grey, etc.?

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Formerflyer,

Ditto.....

PS.

Thank you so very much for your gift of the Tuff pack and tuff saddle. They are WONDERFULL!!!

Now I guess we have to book gunsmilein somewhere again soon...

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Good deal. I'm not sure which one I want though.

The MULE has 540 Cu inches for stuff while the HAWG has 1100 cu inches for stuff. both have a 3 liter bladder.

I ususally carry the following in my day pack for local deer hunting:
Fixed 4" blade knife, stone
1 pair spare gloves, 1 pair spare socks, neoprence face mask
small 1st aid kit
50' 550 cord
10-15' heavy rope for dragging
gauze gamebags and a few pair of latex gloves for cleaning
spare compass, map
spare flashlight (2 D cell)
cover scents & attraction scents
lunch ( sandwich & trailmix)
sometimes a book (paperback)
sometimes a range finder
small cleaning kit
10 rounds ammo.

Any thoughts?
I think the MULE should hold all that. The HAWG seems best for 3-4 days of "stuff".

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
dSmith.45,
I have 2 army issue mules... you could probably fit all of that in one, but it would be a very tight squeez, and when you needed something, you'd probably have to take most of it out to get to whatever you wanted. hope that helps.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thanks, steel slinger. Looking closer at the HAWG I see that it has compression straps to keep things from ratteling around. I'll go with that then

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have one of the military Mules that "M1 Tanker" scrounged off some Air Force PJ's. It is a much tougher rig than the recreational Camelbak products. I've used mine quite a bit over the last year. It has plenty of room for the gear required on most cold weather jaunts, but if you like to carry a lot of gear you'll be happier with the Hawg. The Mule does not have room to stuff an extra jacket inside.

I generally abhor camo, but the desert camo doesn't bother me at all. Various color camo is a fashion statement these days - just go in any Gap store and you'll see every kids' garment and accessory in one camo pattern or another.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat...as you can see from their site it is black or the various camo colors.
I have worn camo in Africa with no problems but I am aware that some may have.
I can only offer the color the manuf. makes.
Better tomorrows,
Mims

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you guys see Ganyana's post about camo in Zimbabwe? The only camo that is banned is camo used on a military uniform. Realtree camo is just fine.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry: Thanks very much for the offer. I looked at the Hunters Headquarters website, but didn't see you to order. What am I missing? Thanks, Gary T.

"We will never disarm any American who seeks to protect his or her family from fear and harm." - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gthomasen'
The Camelback offer is not on my web site as then everyone would get the deal...please call or e mail order and info.
Thanks,
Mims

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Ordered mine. thumb While not on the website, Mims got me the HAWG in the new Army Universal Camo. I think it's the best choice of the four for a hunting pack.

Thanks, Mims!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are very well thought out. I have a HAWG and a MULE. I have used other camelbacks in the mountains in November, hunting in Idaho (note to my friend Harry, November, Mountains & Idaho means cold and cold is not 48 degrees, it is 10 below) and always had a problem with the water in the tube freezing. I solved that by blowing into the mouth piece after I got some water to clear the tube. Then on occasion you had to "burp" the bag and it sloshed because there was air in it.

These military ones have neoprene material sewn over the tube to keep it liquid.

Great product. My son has my HAWG at the Boy Scount National Jamboree in Virginia as we speak ..... or type.

BTW, does anyone know what H.A.W.G. or M.U.L.E. stands for? I have a sneaking suspicion what B.M.F. means, it being the largest one of the bunch and Mother Lode, the next one down is fairly self evident.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Harry.

What does the MG stand for?

Thanks.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RHB,

"MG" stands for "Maximum Gear" We started that name as a seperate brand from our recreational line back in 1996. The intent was to produce CBs specifically focused on and designed for the needs of military personnel.

MULE and HAWG are acronyms:

M.U.L.E is the correct trademark spelling:

(for) Medium (to) Ultra Long Endeavors

H.A.W.G. = Holds Alot (of) Water (and) Gear, or, "Hauls Agua With Gear"
(as our friiends down here in Texas like to say)

There's a bit of CamelBak history - right from the Camel's mouth - so to speak! (spent nearly 11 years there).

I'd go for the MULE to use in Africa - you just don't need that much stuff on you!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops!

Sorry Harry - didn't mean to step on your thread!

Just thought a little historical perspective would benefit all.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Feel free to step on it anytime with positive info like that. Thanks for answering questions that I sure did not know the answers too.

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Regarding camo: It's the wearing of camo clothing that's at issue; not having camo items (GPS, rifle stock, binoc's, etc)
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Many thanks for the explanation.

We have been using one (non-milspec) for over a year now and it's almost as good as new even today. Good product.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now we have some going to HI...seems Formerflyer just can't resist a good deal.
Thanks Pat!