Tools

Dendro Park Zambia - Pics
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Dear AR Guests /

Some personal pictures ...

With the hunting season in Zambia now completed and the (rains a coming) our guests might want to chill out and prepare for the upcoming festive season ..

To (relax the mind and body) here are some of the latest pictures taken very recently at my brothers Alan's private Dendro Park Ranch ( Southern Province) in Zambia

Sally our PET CAPE BUFF is certainly growing up

Sally the pet buffalo relaxing while the staff work on constructing a dam wall across the kabwe inlet

Ranch owner Alan Bird with PH son Dene relaxing around the campfire with Sally

Joanne with her favourite PET Sally relaxing around the camp fire.
JoAnne is ALSO a (SA registered PH) and assistant guide camp helper in Zambia

The transformation of the bushveld after the rains arrive is something amazing

Hunters whom have visited in the hunting (dry) season will appreciate the stark contrast in dry and wet season

MORE PICTURES TO FOLLOW ----- SOON Smiler

Cheers / Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, Peter. Keep them coming.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter, very nice. Got anymore?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Did Zambia, Luangwa Valley in particular, suffer from drought last year as people are saying Tanzania did? If so, with this years rains has that drought been broken?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470FAN
posted Hide Post
Now there is a sight I thought I would never see. A pet Cape Buffalo. Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 155 | Location: Susanville, CA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Peter,

Did Zambia, Luangwa Valley in particular, suffer from drought last year as people are saying Tanzania did? If so, with this years rains has that drought been broken?

SBT /

The RAINS have definately arrived all over the Zambia regional area, I believe the whole country was in a drought as was MOST of Southern Africa ...

When the rains arrive after a drought it is a GOD SEND as people & wildlife suffer badly in the long dry spells

This is the kabwe inlet in front of lodge starting to fill

This is chicken farming on the ranch, Zambia style (-:

My brother bought a new Land Cruser for the ranch

True rustic Game fence - Zambia style (-:

MORE PICS TO FOLLOW LATER / Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Has anyone been to the Luangwa Valley this year? if so, how low did the river get?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
More pictures //

These were (taken on the route) driving from Livingstone into the ranch. The first part of the trip is on paved road for 2.5 hours then from Choma into the bush to the ranch is about 4 hours driving on bush road and track

We just managed to get in to the property before the real rains have started as once the rains get too bad the roads are impossible to use in places and the ranch is in a floodplain and about one third to half the property is then under water in places, it is a sight to see when in full flood and something unreal

Local tribespeople with their cattle

Farming Zambia style

More Zambia farming

Zambian villiage

Local tribespeople negotiating the road with their cattle

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Some of the (water holes) on the ranch are starting to fill up after the end of the drought period ..

Peter

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The rains and LIGHTENING also arrived at our ranches in South Africa //

Alan Jnr. standing where lightening did the telephone pole some damage !

This was where the phone wire used to be (-:

Peter

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Some more pics from Zambia

Zambian lady with strong NECK

Zambian man with his best friend ( Kembe ) or axe

The tribespeople never go out from home without their trusted KEMBE

They can take down a tree with this SOB Kembe before you can eat your ham sandwitch Red Face

Peter

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
A pet cape buff, Where can I get one?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
A pet cape buff, Where can I get one?

Housebreaking them is tough.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
It can't be that hard, All you need is a diaper for a really fat guy

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post

Couple of young Livingstone Eland roaming the plains

This BRIDGE on the route to the ranch LOOKS in V GOOD Condition @ present ..

BUT it can often deteriate rapidily as the MAIZE TRUCKS use this road frequently to transport

We have had to personally (make temporary repairs) at times to enable crossing of the bridge

Peter

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Great pics! Sure gives a bit of insight to the way of life for the locals. Nice to see a bit of green Africa too.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Great pictures of everyday life.

What game animals do you breed? Also, do they have sales in Zambia or are they all exported to the South African auctions?

Cheers

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Hi,
Great pictures of everyday life.

What game animals do you breed? Also, do they have sales in Zambia or are they all exported to the South African auctions?

Cheers

Boghossian

This Dendro Park Ranch is (privately owned) by my brother Alan Bird and is essentially a commercial operation [Hunting Ranch]

We DONT as a rule sell any game from here ..

We have all the main zambian species and other exotics including sable, roan, livingstone eland, puku, oribi, chobe bushbuck, crawshays defassa waterbuck, kafue lechwe, sharpes grysbok, zebra, lichtensteins hartebeest to name just a few and of cource the vast cape buff herds and some leopard as well that come and go onto the ranch.

Being located in a (flood plains region) we have some wonderful an extensive BIRDLIFE on the property including the rather rare (Black Faced Zambezi Lovebird)

BUT

WE do have a small (special botique disease free) cape buffalo breeding project going as the cape buffalo herds are very large and we need to move animals off the property from time to time to manage the herds with conservation in mind, hence we process approximately 40+ new borns per season for special disease free breeding projects

WE are CONTEMPLATING expanding the Zambia business operation and securing MORE PROPERTY closer to the (Livingstone region) where we might get seriously into a NEW (wildlife conservation game breeding project)

There is a ( Possibility ) but dont quote me, that we might be looking for

2 x 20% each genuine interested [ Joint-Venture Shareholders] in the project BUT you will need to watch this space in that regard as the project is still in the dreamworks stage and we have not pressed the GO BUTTON yet !!

Cheers, Peter

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter. I'm loving the pictures!! How far is your brother's place from the Chanjuzi area?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
Thanks Peter. I'm loving the pictures!! How far is your brother's place from the Chanjuzi area? John

John

We are in (Southern Province) Kafue National Park region near Bilili Springs / Nkala GMA'S are the ONLY RANCH within ZAMBIA that had it's boundary line on a NATIONAL PARK Boundary

The new law states (NO ranches in Zambia) are allowed to border on a national park

Chanjuzi is on the other side of Zambia in the EASTERN region just below the North Luangwa Park region and to the right side of the NLP area

Cheers, Peter

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Peter I love those Zambia photos. Between that damn video Ken sent me and your photos I am going up the wall.

I am holing up my pennies, I will call you about 18 months out so we can work out the details.

Are hippo, croc, and hartebeaste available on the ranch in Zambia?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hello D99

No Hippo or Croc on the ranch.

We are expanding the water/small lake on the property and if that proves to be successful maybe we can have Hippo introduced !!! Lichtenstein's Hartebeest are available.

Keep in touch in 2007 and at that time we can look at possible opportunities.

Happy New Year to yourself, family and all other AR guests worldwide

Cheers, Peter

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Peter happy 2006 to you and yours as well.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote