Find
Notify
Tools

Funny people the Masai.......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I’ve just been reading “Barefoot Over the Serengeti†by David Read ( ISBN 0 304 30057 8) which is the experiences of a white child born and raised in East Africa and growing up amongst the Masai. To a large extent it’s an explanation of the Masai culture and along the way it mentions many unusual and frankly bloody odd facets of their lifestyle. I’ve certainly never considered myself particularly knowledgeable about the tribe – and this book proves it!.

I have no idea if things have changed much since the book was written and certainly they’re a very traditional race but for anyone interested in such things they need to put this book on their must read list.

Amongst the more surprising things mentioned is the fact that it’s reasonably socially acceptable for the young boys to have sex with donkeys – but not cattle and perfectly normal for wives to sleep with house guests……..funny people the Masai !!!

I can just imagine one donkey saying to another "why does that boy always call you darling?" and the other replying " I don't know, but eeh aw, eew aw, eeh awlways calls me that" jump

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about the Masai, but I would guarantee you this is a load of codswhalop!

He might have heard of ONE individual having it with a donkey, and as so many writers do, has taken the liberty of making it all up as being normal in their culture.

Last year I read about a an indiviual in the US who was convicted of having sex with a horse for so many years!!

I suppose someone reading that story would immediately assume that it is normal for Americans to do it woth horse.

I have read a number of books about our own culture, and a lot of what is mentioned in those books is absolutely unfounded.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose someone reading that story would immediately assume that it is normal for Americans to do it woth horse.

Well, depending on what state you're talk about... Razzer

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post

I note "having un-natural sex with a donkey".

So what is 'having natural sex with a donkey'? Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I've no idea if it was ever true and less idea if it still happens - and I'm certainly not friendly enough with any of them to ask if they've ever shagged a donkey Smiler but the book is certainly full of interesting detail of the Masai way of life and is worth a read.......I've got to say that I have my doubts that it's true though. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
how do they know the donkey was raped?? how do they know it wasnt enjoying it?? Suppose it wouldnt have enjoyed getting it's legs cut off though Confused

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just a variation on the old theme of find a pretty filly, take them out, get them legless and so on! jump

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Yeah it seems odd that they are primarily interested in banning the rape, rather than the mutilation. Cutting its legs off is almost an afterthought in that article.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a Masai kid overheard a coversation that involved a couple of urban black Americans, and it went something like "Yeah boy, we was all tagging that ass and having us a big ole time..." There you have it, the confused Masai fellah got inspired. It could happen! Wink

When I was in a Masai village doing the sappy tourist thing as a kid I was fascinated with a couple of things. The spears were number one, the dung homes were number two, and the plastic film cannisters that many of the men wore in their ear loops was fascinating to me. I desperately wanted to know what, if anything they stashed in them. Their teeth, perhaps? Donkey roofies? We may never know!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Maybe it's just a variation on the old theme of find a pretty filly, take them out, get them legless and so on! jump

Very droll.

quote:
plastic film cannisters that many of the men wore in their ear loops was fascinating to me. I desperately wanted to know what, if anything they stashed in them.

Probably snuff. I remember Hemingway comment on something like that, so of course it must be true.

For this whole topic I might mention Kiwis, but that might get me into trouble. Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

... Last year I read about a an indiviual in the US who was convicted of having sex with a horse for so many years!!

I suppose someone reading that story would immediately assume that it is normal for Americans to do it woth horse. ...

roflmao

Saeed,
Down Texas way, in the USA, they call it "stump breaking."

In this form of horse training, the old mare is trained to back up to a tree stump on which the cowboy or "cow poke" is standing. Final stages of this training require the old mare to stay put for the poke.

Just ask Ray if you don't believe me. Wonder how many mares he has stump broke? They call him "Stumpie" and he ain't short! Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,
I see that one went over like a lead balloon, or a cow pie in the punch bowl. Big Grin

To my trusty steed: Giddyup Pokie, ol' girl, let's ride hard ... (hoof beats fade into the distance) ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote