Tools

Gemsbok attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gemsbok attack walkers in game reserve
2010-11-23 10:08

Marietjie Gericke, Die Volksblad

Bloemfontein - Gemsbok stormed and injured several walkers taking part in a fun walk at a Free State game lodge over the weekend.

Two of the injured, Amanda Appelgryn and her daughter Janecke, 8, were admitted to Bloemfontein Medi-Clinic with several tissue injuries.

Esmé van Wijk also ended up in hospital after she and her two friends, Elsie Geeringh and Sonja van Wyk, were attacked by a gemsbok while other walkers were watching.

About 455 walkers took part in the Klingelklokkie fun walk in aid of Volksblad's Christmas fund, which was held for the tenth time on Saturday at Sangiro Lodge near Bloemfontein. The route is in the shape of a horseshoe, said Appelgryn.

Flew through the air

"When we came back, a gemsbok attacked us from the right. I wanted to protect Janecke but the buck hit me on the arm," she said.

"Jan (her husband) and Janecke flew through the air."

Janecke was walking between her parents. The couple's other daughter, Rista-Mari, 12, was about 20m behind them.

"I landed in a prickly pear bush and my leg was full of thorns. Jan was badly bruised from the fall and Janecke's eyes started rolling."

Appelgryn then contacted ER24 paramedics, who were on duty outside the camp.

Janecke was tied to a plate, which supported her spinal cord, and was given oxygen in an ambulance.

"Paramedics helped to get the thorns from my hand and leg. My arm was bandaged in the ambulance."

Janecke's neck, jaw and head were scanned at the hospital but no fractures were found. Her mouth was cut up inside.

"We are incredibly grateful that it isn't more serious.

"The gemsbok's horn has been etched on my husband's arm," said Appelgryn.

- Volksblad

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess 455 folks walking thru his living room pizzed the gemsbok off pretty bad.....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What part of wild animals do they not understand?

It may be of interest to many here, that most South Africans, both blacks and whites, have never even seen many live species in the wild and know very little about the fauna in their own countries.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While on a cull hunt on a neighbor of my PH,Johnny Schicherling, an older gentleman wounded one and it ran off. Yoshee the kill dog,Jack Russel dashound cross, took of after it. John John the PH's son and I took off after it. I saw it through a screen of brush and Yoshee had it by the nut's. When I got a clear shot I gave it one through the heart. The damn thing rared up and charged with Yoshee on it's nuts,couldn't shoot for hitting Yoshee, figured I'd bulldog it and cut it's throat but it died at my feet. DAMN EXCITEN'

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gemsbok attack walkers in game reserve
2010-11-23 10:08

Marietjie Gericke, Die Volksblad

Bloemfontein - Gemsbok stormed and injured several walkers taking part in a fun walk at a Free State game lodge over the weekend.

Two of the injured, Amanda Appelgryn and her daughter Janecke, 8, were admitted to Bloemfontein Medi-Clinic with several tissue injuries.

Esmé van Wijk also ended up in hospital after she and her two friends, Elsie Geeringh and Sonja van Wyk, were attacked by a gemsbok while other walkers were watching.

About 455 walkers took part in the Klingelklokkie fun walk in aid of Volksblad's Christmas fund, which was held for the tenth time on Saturday at Sangiro Lodge near Bloemfontein. The route is in the shape of a horseshoe, said Appelgryn.

Flew through the air

"When we came back, a gemsbok attacked us from the right. I wanted to protect Janecke but the buck hit me on the arm," she said.

"Jan (her husband) and Janecke flew through the air."

Janecke was walking between her parents. The couple's other daughter, Rista-Mari, 12, was about 20m behind them.

"I landed in a prickly pear bush and my leg was full of thorns. Jan was badly bruised from the fall and Janecke's eyes started rolling."

Appelgryn then contacted ER24 paramedics, who were on duty outside the camp.

Janecke was tied to a plate, which supported her spinal cord, and was given oxygen in an ambulance.

"Paramedics helped to get the thorns from my hand and leg. My arm was bandaged in the ambulance."

Janecke's neck, jaw and head were scanned at the hospital but no fractures were found. Her mouth was cut up inside.

"We are incredibly grateful that it isn't more serious.

"The gemsbok's horn has been etched on my husband's arm," said Appelgryn.

Is rabies known to occur in gemsbok in South Africa?

I was in Namibia a few years ago and watched an infected kudu bull act as no healthy wild animal would.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
...It may be of interest to many here, that most South Africans, both blacks and whites, have never even seen many live species in the wild and know very little about the fauna in their own countries.

A very true statement. One that could also be made about those in any nation of the world! I suppose that so many travel so far TO see SA's wildlife is what amazes many regarding this.
MOST Americans never see New York or Hollywood to! stir

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
What part of wild animals do they not understand?

It may be of interest to many here, that most South Africans, both blacks and whites, have never even seen many live species in the wild and know very little about the fauna in their own countries.

That fact has always amazed me.

I have been to RSA many times and have often been stunned by the lack of knowledge shown by most of the locals re their wildlife, black and white alike.

I guess if you are not a hunter, there is no interest at all.