New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy shipping insurance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My tusks from March are ready to ship. With the hide panels and foreleg, shipping is going to be like $2200 air, with no ocean transport option. $693 of this will be insurance. Since tusks can't be sold, they have no real dollar value. So far, the exporter in Zim (huberhalles) hasn't told me just what the insurance would pay in case of loss or damage. A replacement hunt?
Have any of you had any experience with this kind of insurance? I might forgo it if I can't ascertain what the benefit would be.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the same situation on shipping costs for a leopard skin this month. I asked by email what is the deal with the insurance and if it would pay for a return trip to hunt another leopard if the leopard was lost or dammaged. With no explanation, they sent a second quote with no insurance which also included lower costs in the other catagories - except shipping (I complained about the amount of total costs also). I think a good number of people just pay the costs as originally invoiced without questioning the amount. I got over 35% off by complaining.

Posts: 42 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Insurance depends....I had insurance and SAA lost a crate with two full flat skins and two Cape Buffalo Euro mounts including my best Cape Buffalo to date---well over 40".....they offered me $1200 based on crate size....we argued for two years and I lost since I could not afford to hire an RSA Barrister. I didn't even get the $1200!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote