New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari camp exclusive.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would you care to share a safari camp with someone you dont know?????

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
It all depends. I'd try to get their phone number from the outfitter or booking agent, then give them a call or two, just to see if there is a blatant personality clash.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Given some of the personailites I see here I think I would take my chances with a stranger...LOL...I would avoid strangers...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would not be my preference because I don't go hunting to socialize. However a couple of years ago I shared a Mexican Mule Deer camp with a couple of other hunters and have stayed in rather close contact with one of them.

Actually called Glenn's house tonight to swap stories about this season. Talked to his wife who I've never met, but we've talked often enough to almost feel like we know each other. Glenn's in Africa after elephant now, so he and I will probably have more to talk about in a couple of weeks.

Would not have that friendship without sharing a camp.

Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I book a hunt its for exclusive use because a drunk or a crybaby in camp could ruin a great experience. Even if you are not hunting the same areas you are still socializing with them. I see it as a crapshoot as to whether you meet a new friend or make a eternal enemy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my recent safari I was alone in the camp in Chewore for sixteen days, and that was great. We hunted pretty hard for the most part and kept long hours since we were hunting cats in addition to Buff and elephant.

During the second part of my safari we were at Humani in the Save Conservancy for six days. There was a really nice Mexican fellow there recuperating from a difficult but very sucsessful elephant hunt in Mozambique. He'd shot an eighty pounder and was relaxing and resting before heading home. There was a group of five French Maritians there as well.

They were all good people amd very freindly. The patriarch of the Maritians was a particularly fine older fellow. He included me in their group. Not that the others didn't but he went out of his way to keep us together rather than apart.

We had a good time but I couldn't keep up with them in the evenings. They were having a great time shooting plains game but we were still hunting elephant and leopard. My second evening there we all celebrated the Mexican's elephant. The elder French Maritian was the instigator. The next day we checked baits then hunted plains game since neither my PH nor I thought it would be wise for either of us to pursue anything more dangerous than an eland.

It was different and fun but for dangerous game I'd prefer to be alone or with only one or at most two other serious hunters.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I had a great time with people I didn't know that were mostly anti-hunters in my elephant camp last year. The camp we were in had always been a base for photographic safaris. Since the photographic business has all but disappeared in Zim. (bunch of fair-weather tourists) and it was a good location for an elephant camp my outfitter had worked out a deal with the owner for the season.

I really didn't socialize with the photographers much and they ASSUMED I was also on a photographic safari (with my 2 PH's and 4 trackers). Every meal we shared together the camp manager would try to crack me up in front of the photographers by purposefully bringing up whichever animal had recently arrived in the (discretely placed) skinning shed. She would say, "Kyler, has your PH shown you any elephants"? Knowing quite well we'd spent the day recovering a bull. At another meal she asked loudly in front of the photographers "If I'd gotten any pictures of a bushbuck" while mine was being skinned. The photographers were clueless to the whole scenario. It was good fun.

After a day or so the main PH and camp manager got tired of the photographers mooching our food and camp staff so we moved to another camp until they left. It worked out for the best as I took a nice waterbuck out of the next camp.

I guess if they were hunters in the camp and were following the same tracks as us I wouldn't have found is so amusing.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:

I don't share safari camp with anyone. Why spend thousands of dollars and have your safari ruined by some idiot?

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
quote:

I don't share safari camp with anyone. Why spend thousands of dollars and have your safari ruined by some idiot?

Regards,

Terry

I can't imagine ever sharing a Safari Camp with anybody not in my party. If I want to share a meal I'll go down to Denny's.

I can't believe all the crap people have to endure nowdays in camp.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to hunt alone. I've only met one stranger in a hunting camp in 45 years that I wanted to either become friends with, or hunt with again. We remained friends for many years.

Mostly I find strangers and I have very little in common. Most hunting camp strangers I meet talk too much, drink too much, don't think enough, don't shoot well, have questionable ethics, and I prefer not to be around them. I'm there to hunt. I don't need any bull-shit distractions.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Imagine having to share a camp with Carmello! nut

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what sharing means exactly but usually just amounts to having dinner together, as typically you're away from camp all day.

It can have its benefits and drawbacks. Sharing a camp with a know-it-all can start to grate on me, as I know everything to begin with!

But others are interesting types, and on the whole it has been okay. I shared camp with a whole crowd of fisherman and hunters this year, which is the way it is at Big 5, and "Reddy375" happened to be there and he and his wife were very nice people and I was glad to have discussions with them.

Also the family of the poor girl that got snatched by the croc two years ago with PH Doug Carlisle were also there, and made for some interesting discussions and observations.

Also when hunting with PH Brent Hein we sometimes shared a camp with Francios, the unfortunate fellow that got smashed by a buff earlier this year. (See his story in my book when released!).

I have rather liked sharing a camp, most of the time anyway!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Actually, I met Canuck on a hunt to RSA.

(Can't get any stranger than Canuck!)

troll

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have rather liked sharing a camp, most of the time anyway!

Bill Stewart

I wonder what the people Bill shared camp with have to say on this issue. sofa jump

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regards,

Terry

AMEN, me either.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I do not know how many camps have me black-listed. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I happened to me during a 14 day hunt in the Omay. An Austrian doctor and his son wanted to hunt ele from the same camp for a few days. Since I was hunting buff and leopard I thought we wouldn’t see each other so no big deal. The few hours we shared over three days were painful to say the least. Never again...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I shared a spike camp this time in Chewore North with another American and his PH Peter Barnard. The other hunter was delightful and very charming, he got an excellent lion. Pete was fun and the additon was nice for my trip.

Later on when things get boring on these forums I will post about the lion.

I've been in a lot of "bulk" camps, mostly on my NA hunts and I can't really recall being seriously offended by another hunter's presence. I always get my own accomms and thus a refuge if needed I suppose. The only recent incident I can recall was sharing a bear camp with some very thirsty doctors Eeker who mistakenly pilfered my expensive Bombay Saphire gin. They did make up for it! beer

I've shared a few nights at supper here and there at some larger African game lodges where they also catered to local greenies. No issues there either. If people knew I was hunting I explained what good I was doing and you know what? They turned out to have no problems with me or the hunt once it was kindly explained.

I have not been in a camp where someone else was loud, obtrusive or dangerous. Guess I have been lucky!

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm ambivolent about sharing camps. I've truly had fun with several people I have met in safari camps. I guess I have never met a hunter that really made me uncomfortable. I do know that on one safari with a PH personality cconflict brewing it would have been nice to have some extra company at those long and extremely quiet dinners.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first trip to RSA we had about 6 of us in a group. Five of them where great guys, but a friend of a friend who came along turned out to be a real problem. He missed 4 kudu, and had a large drinking problem. I didn't associate with him for 10 days. My PH was good and I had a wonderful trip. Never again will I let a "friend of a friend" sort of thing happen again. Sometimes you can get sabotaged from the inside. nut

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
If I have not booked an exclusive or hadn't planned to share a PH, I like to share camps with strangers. You never know who you are going to meet and I have been lucky that my forced associations in camps in Zim and Mozambique have been good. The only mildly unpleasant thing I have experienced was the laconic nature of an Austrailian sheep rancher who never gave his name and a French PH named Richard Roget (sp?). I tried interrogating these guys at dinner and around the fire and they just would not open up. Maybe is was my jokes about why sheep farmers wear tall boots or my remark about French military surplus rifles from WWII never being fired and only dropped once.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beer Must state that after traveling from Alaska to Zim alone I truly did enjoy most of my camp mates. First one was a fellow from Denver finishing up his hunt, next an interesting couple kform Spain for 7 days, followed by a delightful couple form New Hampiture?. I got along will with all. The last hunters that come in as I was leaving were an indvidual form N.J. and a hunter with observer from Spain. These were not going to be as much fun. So I guess that I lucked out!!

Posts: 188 | Location: Northern, Tennesse | Registered: 19 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No- but would do it if warned and had a chance to meet the neighbors. However, I normally would not do it.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I've learned never to say "never". Let's just say there'd have to be some special circumstances.......like if Cindy Garrison was the other hunter!!! Big Grin
Dave
PS-No, my wife never reads this. But, she has seen Cindy's show. Cool

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first hunt in the Okavango Delta a screw up in scheduling led to my sharing a camp with 4 Italian elephant hunters. I didn't speak Italian and they didn't speak much english but we got along fine, in fact one of them got tired of his buddies and accompanied me one afternoon.
Twice, in the same area, I've had a hunter come in and spend the last night with me. Ironically it was the same guy. Dinners were a little quiet, he seemed to be jet lagged, but over breakfast he opened up and we had a nice conversation.
In each case the PH's went out of their way to include everyone in the conversations. I understand why you would be leery of sharing a camp, but my limited experience has been positive.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would avoid it. My brother and I were in Quebec last year on caribou hunt and shared a SMALL cabin (12x16, one room) with three other guys who were friends. Two of them were easy enough to get along with, but one of them was one of the most obnoxious people I have ever met in my life-- and I'm a lawyer. After three days of this my brother, one of the most easy-going and easy-to-get-along-with people one could meet, pulled aside one of the guides and said he didn't care if he didn't fill his tags: he either wanted this guy to shut up or they should move us to another camp away from Mr. A-Hole. It really was that bad. The guide later gave Mr. Personality a talking-to (we could hear the "talking" from where we were hunting, three miles away) and things got better, but still not exactly pleasant.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
Actually, I met Canuck on a hunt to RSA.

(Can't get any stranger than Canuck!)

Big Grin Very funny, pal! That's what I like about you. Wink

In two trips to RSA, sharing camps with strangers (some even stranger than Don Wink) both times, I have had great luck and enjoyed everyone's company immensely.

That said, however, having met many "clients" over the years and hearing MANY horror stories from my friends that guide in BC/YT/NWT, I do consider it to be a crap shoot. As a result, I will not spend the type of money required for a DG hunt and share the camp with anyone I don't know. This type of hunt may happen for me a few times in my life at best...I don't want to add to the list of variables that could wreck the experience.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Having been to Africa three times, I would not share my camp with others. I've had both strangers and friends share camps and eventually had problems with both. The strangers turned out to be drunks, and the friend(the father in law of one of my hunting friends) turned out to be a complete ass/idiot. Best to stick to it being exclusively yours and yours alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather not.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
On previous hunts, we have been by ourselves. And been happy with that. This year in Chewore North I had to share the dinner table a few nights with strangers, and that worked out fine as they were decent people who were interesting to talk with.

But I would prefere to be alone (or with friends whom I know), as you never know what the strangers are going to be like.

It wouldn't be much fun if they're up all night drunk as skunks and keeping you awake when you want to get up early to go hunting. thumbdown

Posts: 2662 | Location: Oslo, in the naive land of socialist nepotism and corruption... | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I would not mind hunting out of a camp with friend, who is a hunter..I don't go to camp to get smashed..Cheaper drunk home...I like a drink before dinner...
As for an obnoxious camp hunter person or whatever...I would bust his balls and make him want to leave camp...I'd halloween him to dead...He would want to get out of camp...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my safari they were all strangers. This worked out quite well. There were some major personality differences, but not necessarily clashes. We became good friends with one of the couples and the may be coming out to for a visit in the future.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PWN- I recently had trouble with an Austalian in camp after a joke. They have no sense of humor. My PH simply asked if the Australian knew of the two new uses for sheep recently discovered by the Australian sheep industry. When the other hunter replied that he did not, my PH simply said "mutton and wool". Nitro- you wouldn't be offended, would you?

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
PWN- I recently had trouble with an Austalian in camp after a joke. They have no sense of humor. My PH simply asked if the Australian knew of the two new uses for sheep recently discovered by the Australian sheep industry. When the other hunter replied that he did not, my PH simply said "mutton and wool". Nitro- you wouldn't be offended, would you?

I think most Aussies would chuckle. New Zealanders though would just get confused.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shared a camp before, no real problems, but given the choice, I would of course prefer not to.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:

Not at all. My father used to have 300 of the paddock lice. We still have about 50 to keep the grass mown. No woolly chick shortage here.

Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could share a tent with Cindy Crawford --OH ya --I am there!

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It only happend to me once, and I met a gentleman and his mother, and we have become friends ever since.

He was hunting the area before us, and his hunt ended a day or two earlier. He asked the PH if he could stay longer, and leave a day after we have arrived. The PH called and to ask if this was OK or not, and we agreed to it.

I think if our PH was not sure that we would get on well together, he would not have agreed to it in the first place.

This gentleman is a regular on AR.

LV ERIC.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
On my Safari, we had two other hunters and their PH's join us in camp. One hunter was from Canada and one was European and had a small entourage with him. We got along great with the Canadian, the others didn't socialize too much. It did make camp rather crowded, but I really enjoyed the time around the fire at night with the PH's and hunters. We had a great time drinking a couple cold beers and talking about hunting, politics, or whatever and having a few laughs.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one trip to Africa, we shared a camp with two other groups. One group was a filming company who produces an "African Safari" hunting show. They had come to do some hunting and filming. since the safari company was going to be featured on the show---we suddenly got treated sort of 2nd string when they showed up. The only good thing about it was the blond prop they brought with them. She was fun and a knockout! (got some god stories that can't be told here!LOL! roflmao One of the PHs bagged her! Ha-ha The other group was from swaroski-total arrogant jack who drank my good booze (premium Wild turkey) beer and smoked my good cigars without so much as a thank you. We got few jabs in on him though. He bragged about everything he shot --but we shot bigger and more gold glass trophys than he did--we rubbed that in every time he started that bigheaded self important bigshot crap.
boils down to who you share the camp with--sometimes it is good --but can also be a real pisser. thumbdown

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote