THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunting enthusiasts offered an eco-challenge

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting enthusiasts offered an eco-challenge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunting enthusiasts offered an eco-challenge

March 14 2005 at 06:51PM

By Richard Davies

The official website of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve makes no mention of lethal commercial trophy hunting taking place within the reserve, but does advertise "Green hunting", which the reserve claims to have pioneered.

According to www.timbavati.co.za, this is "the ultimate union of hunting and conservation, where the thrill and challenge of the hunt prevails without the loss of life".

"Hunters are given the chance to pit their every skill and wit against the greatest of the Big Five, but, at the final moment, the hunter is able to grant - not take - the elephant's life," it states.

Essentially, it involves a hunter "shooting" an elephant with a tranquillise dart, which renders it unconscious, and then posing next to the sleeping animal for a photograph. Bronze casts of the tusks are an optional extra.

More information is offered at a linked site - www.eco-hunt.co.za - where this hunting method is described in detail.

"A team of expert trackers and a professional guide assist the hunter to find and stalk a large African bull elephant. Tracking carefully from down wind, the hunter finally comes within range, close enough for the dart to hit home - even closer than normal range.

"Silence... the crack of a dart gun, and the elephant reacts in surprise, crashing away through the bush. Adrenaline pumps as the drug takes effect - the hunters racing to keep the elephant in sight.

"As the big bull goes down, the hunter and the team of experts move in, together with a wildlife veterinarian to monitor the sleeping elephant, and a Kruger (National Park) research team place a radio collar around the bulls neck.

"The hunter is photographed with his quarry and a cast of the tusks is taken to make an exact replica in fibreglass or bronze - an eco-friendly trophy of a successful hunt.

"All retreat a little while the antidote is given, and within minutes the bull is on his feet... a living trophy and a monument to the conservation of great bull elephants."

According to the website, the price of such a hunt is available on request, and includes veterinary fees, a helicopter and "back-up".

According to information released by the United Democratic Movement at the weekend, provision was made in the Timbavati reserve's 2003/04 budget for the "Green hunting" of eight elephants plus two rhinoceroses.

The UDM said this included "four elephant bulls at $15 000 (about R90 000) each, four elephant cows for safari hunts for 10 people at R4 000 each, (and) two rhinoceroses at $10 000 each". - Sapa

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9449 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Interesting! My sourse has killed a lion in Timbavati on several occasions. Actually to my knowledge one lion, one leopard and several buffalo are put up for tender each year. My understanding is that the "Green" hunts have been less than a great success.

I'll be there in '06 and will give you a run down on what I find there.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12967 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
www.timbavati.co.za

This link will work.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote