THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best month to hunt buffalo in Maasailand?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best month to hunt buffalo in Maasailand?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to organize a buffalo safari in Maasailand.

Having said this, which time of the year do you think is best for hunting buffalo in Maasailand taking into account visibility (height of grass) and buffalo presence?

I have read that there is only buffalo presence in the plateau when the small rains start, this would be July and mostly November-December.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
December to March - that is if they ever extend the season beyond Dec! But bewar, not all of Maasailand is great buff hunting!

Another great buffalo area is Maswa Game Reserve

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunted the Simanjiro adjacent to the Tarangire when the season was July to December.
Buff hunting was best there early and late season when water is more plentiful. We did quite well in October, however thanks in no small part to hunting with Blood, an awesome PH! Lots of food in mid-season Simanjiro, but not much water. The animals tended to move mid-season into the Tarangire Park where conditions generally opposite there - lots of water but less food.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am considering hunting the Lolkisale area.

Would August still be a good month for buff hunting?

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AF,

Have hunted Lokisale numerous times its a fine concession. August should be good, however I would prefer later, December. If you can go in August, you will still have a great chance at a big bull, best of luck, it's beautiful country.

Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try and be later.

The Bulls migrate out of Tarangire after the short rains. I hit the very beginning of the migration out in late November in 2011.

Lokisale is very good if the Bulls have moved in, but the water sources are limited during the early part of the season, and thus can limit your chances.

I have been told that there have been some changes there since I hunted with some photo lodges moving in to the area.

If you want to shoot the masailand plains game, early is better. If you want to have the best crack at buffalo, as late as you can arrange it.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the experience rather than the results is most important, and I can only speak to one trip to Simanjiro, March was great. The buffalo were streaming out of Tarangire and the lions were following them. The rains were threatening. Every night, you sat at the fire watching a light show of lightning in the distance and listening to the lions in the valley below. Can't beat that.

Of course we did have some serious rains and a hail storm one night.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You better make sure your PH has done many safaris in that, wet season, area. The vehicle and driver have to be set up right if not that rain soaked black cotton soil can ruin your days and nights. Water crossings can get interesting too.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanajay is correct, of course. We had some interesting crossings and, we got stuck. Temporarily. Tracking sucks in the rain too. But overall, I'd do it again.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What size buff does one shoot here on average?

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masailand is a rather large area and it can vary tremendously. But Masailand is in my opinion the best place to get a really outsized bull.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never pass up a hard bossed 40 inch bull Cool

Your second buff may go higher but who knows tu2

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
What size buff does one shoot here on average?

I got a 45 and 2 44's in 2011 (Lokisale)

I will admit that my buffalo luck was in then, and someone else shot a 48" that year.

I was told that year the average was around 41".

But one does not turn down a 40"+ bull with hard bosses unless one is willing to go home without one.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go at the right time and you are in the right place you will see hundreds of mature bulls. Some big bossed, some droopy, some with wide spreads and occasionally you might find one that has it all.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote