Find
Notify
Tools

Nyala horn size?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted
Well after 50 weeks my Nyala and Bush buck finally arrived. I have three questions: what is considered a respectable Nyala? Mine measures 26 3/8 and 26 1/2. My other question are to those who have had their Nyala mounted how many had a life size and how many a shoulder mount? Those who had a shoulder mount do you wish you had done a life size? I had mine skinned for life size, but that extra money could go towards a Tanzania hunt.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
KINO - My recollection is that anything over 26-27" is very good, and 30"+ the Holy Grail. But who cares, yours is a dandy, and what is most attractive about the Nyala is their coat and distinctive coloring and markings. I had mine done as a full-mount (only full-mount antelope I have), only regret is that I didn't pick a more dynamic pose. If you do a shoulder, consider a pedestal, but these guys look great when full-mounted.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I wish I had done mine in a full mount. The shoulder mount just doesn't do them justice.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like many of the other spiral horned antelope (kudu spring to mind), it is actually not that easy to tell the exact size of a set of Nyala horns. Length is often associated with attributes of the horns, which are less important from a the point of view of good looks - e.g. a deep bell. For that reason, I find the shape of the horns more important than the absolute length. So if you like the shape of your horns, have at it.

The Nyala is one of the prettiest antelopes, and makes for one the most striking mounts in all of Africa. I sadly don't have room for any full mounts, so if I have mounts done at all, they are either shoulder mounts or skull mounts. But due to ist striking coat, the Nyala is really one of those animals that might beneft from a full (or at least a pedestal) mount - if you have the room for it. Cost is another issue, and I can fully understand your reluctance to forge out the value of a good trophy fee on your next hunt for a mount. Decisions, decisions... bawling
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son took a large one (PH said it was a good one)and my wife insisted on a life size for the dining room. Go figure. She liked the orange legs and mane.

Posts: 10370 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the imput. If any have some photos of life size mounts they would be willing to post, I'd appreciate the ideas.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told anything over 25" was pretty good. I had two done with shoulder mounts but also had the backskins made into throws which look very nice over the back of a sofa or such. thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that 26 is minimum for book, but I'm not sure cause I don't even own a book. In any case you have an excellent example of what may well be africas most beautiful antelope. I did mine lifesize and have always been glad I did.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If by "the book", you mean Rowland Ward, then the minimum length (measured on front curve) is 27".
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I did a shoulder mount and made throw pillows from the backskin. Haven't talked the wife into any full mounts yet Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
BT,

I'm sure a nice mink coat this year might go a long way to promote your side of the issue. Wink .

Please tell your wife hello from Lisa and I.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I don't have a nyala myself, but they are by far one of my favorite trophy animals. I would say go for the life-size mount. I have seen mounts done both ways, the shoulder mount, as said before, does them no justice. Their is so much more to a Nyala than a set of horns. There is the orange legs and it stripped coat as well as the hair that hangs down by it's legs. Everytime I see a shoulder mount, it lacks the beauty that the Nyala poses. They are not that big of an antelope if you ask me, they always seem to get lost up in the collection of mounts. All the Nyala shoulder mounts I've seen have been in some big trophy room and It took me a minute to actualy figure out what it was. They just look different, to me, when they are shoulder mounted. (No offense to those that have shoulder mounts, this is just my opinion). If cost is an issue because you want to save for Tanzania (I don't blame you either), why not get a half-size mount. Have it standing like you would a full size, and make a "J" shape in the back if you were looking at it from the top. The hide should go back most of the way and if you put some tall reeds behind it, it will look almost like a full mount, but should be a few bucks less. Here is an example of a full mount: http://julianandsons.com/album/trophyrooms/146.jpg and here is a sort of example of the half life size. Just imagine the amrco polo sheep being the nyala and having the form go back just a bit more. http://julianandsons.com/album/residential/164.jpg I got those from here: http://julianandsons.com/index.htm You might be able to find some other good ideas there.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nyala do deserve a life size mount if you can afford it, or have the room for it. They are about the prettiest antelope going.

Here's a pic of a beauty of a ram that I took at the Ace Taxidermy shop in Warmbaths, RSA. Don't know the measurements, but its a dandy...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Hey Canuck!!

That one would have made a gorgeous life size mount!!!!!! Big Grin

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Here is a FULL NYALA mount courtesy of our good friend, AR guest JD from ND ....

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote