New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun Post?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Due to foot/ankle reconstruction surgery I am pretty much chair-bound for the next 5 weeks and am bored shitless already (less than two weeks post-op), so, I've resized every piece of brass I have that my Lee Hand Press is capable of resizing, driven my wife and the lady that works for us crazy, shot a metal plate set up 100 meters off of our patio about 1000 times with every .22 LR my wife and I own. A member here on AR suggested I should read books. I have several dozen hunting/African hunting books and have started re-reading them again. One book in particular is very interesting (Safari Press book), is about Legends of the African Frontier (1800-1945). Has short stories about literally hundreds of Ph's, hunters,wardens, scoundrels and other characters that figured into the hunting business during that time frame. The thought came to me that if a sequel were to be written in current times, who might "make the book" and I thought it might be interesting to see other AR members thought on the subject might be. I've listed some people that I think would definitely qualify, and I've listed only those people that I have personally met, although some were very brief meetings.
Here are my suggestions for such a book, please add your suggestions, there are bound to be hundreds of names...
Lou Hallamore (first buffalo hunt and Zim legend), "Stretch" Fierra, Roy Vincent, John Sharp, Mark Sullivan (lots of folks don't like his ways, but he is certainly a character), Buzz Charlton, Myles McCollum, Peter Thormahlen (same as Mark S), Richard Sowery (Section Ranger at Kruger and as no BS as they come), Mark Haldane, Julian Mueller (extraordinary buff PH in Moz), Clive Hallamore, Ivan Carter, Dan Cabela, our host Saeed, Duckworth Family, Michel Manthiakis, Marina Lamprecht (classiest safari hostess ever), Craig Boddington, Ludo Wurfbain (Safari Press, publishes hunting books no one else will print), and some I'm sure I've neglected. Please post the people you think would make such a book...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nigel Theisen, Paddy “Bloodnut” Curtis, and Norman English for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Gérard Pasanisi.

100%.

Re-opened Tanzania.

Shot a wounded leopard off the hood of his safari car with a .45 ACP Colt’s Government Model.

Waited ten months to cash my $33,000 personal check in payment of the balance due for a 21 day safari.

Because he forgot about it in his brief case until I realized what had not happened and reminded his son, Eric.

A legend.

May he rest in peace, and his legend live on.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Harry Selby, Ian Gibson, Don “Ganyana” Heath and without a doubt Cam Greig

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Ian Gibson/QUOTE]

Forgot I had met and visited with Ian, 100% correct. Wish I hav met Harry Selby and others. I hope other members will add to this list.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cotton Gordon.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
[QUOTE] Ian Gibson/QUOTE]

Forgot I had met and visited with Ian, 100% correct. Wish I hav met Harry Selby and others. I hope other members will add to this list.

I have spoken to him many times.

He sent me all his notes which he intended to write as a book.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robin Hurt has a new book coming out in December that sounds a lot like this. Contributions from many living legends. See link below.

https://www.safaripress.com/a-dangerous-game-520.html

Posts: 61 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nassos Roussos, from Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ and Geoff Broom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luke Samaras, Gerard Miller, Alan Vincent, old school characters who need no introduction.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Cotton Gordon.

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

Great Post! Hope it gets something started. Lots of great stories there no doubt. But more important, hope you get back on your feet soon.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, got my cast yesterday and will be in that for 5 weeks, then will be able to walk on it.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Nassos Roussos. In 2018 he was still hunting in his mid seventies. In less than 24 hours after arriving in camp he got me a Golden Jackal (DNA African wolf???), Soemerings Gazelle, Harar Dikdik anda 16 1/2 inch Gerenuk. I don't normally measure anything but when they are that big it becomes of scientific interest! It took him 3 days to get me a Giant Forest Hog mainly because I was sick.
A special mention for the late Wayne Clark, killed by a wounded buffalo in Tanzania. A great character and a very bold hunter, taken too young. Perhaps like pilots, there are bold hunters and old hunters but no old, bold hunters.

Posts: 367 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I hope you heal up quickly and don’t drive Rebecca too crazy.

Does this mean you’ll be in one of those scooters come January?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an order in for Robin's book. A lot of great hunters in there and some who have been left out. But a nice start.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus, thanks, I’m healing quickly (or at least I think I am) I will be in a cast until mid-January and am on a knee walker until then. It’s much too late to worry about driving Rebecca crazy, did that the first couple of days. But, I’ve managed to sit in my duck blind a couple of times with the help of a friend and do one thermal pig hunt on a side by side as payback for duck blind assistance. First thermal hunt for him and had a blast!

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Bill Woodley and his son Bongo, Tsavo game wardens in Kenya. I met the Bill and Mary Woodley, and their son Bongo in 1987 while I was camping and hiking in Tsavo. Some of the most down-to-earth folks, though Bill was one of the most respected game wardens on the continent at that time.

John Sharp and Tony Sanchez-Arino are two others who I would add to the list.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl Stumpfe - Ndumo Safaris. A great PH & an extremely knowledgeable gun guru. Younger than some of these other nominees, but I’d put him up against any modern African hunter & guide.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Bill Woodley and his son Bongo, Tsavo game wardens in Kenya. I met the Bill and Mary Woodley, and their son Bongo in 1987 while I was camping and hiking in Tsavo. Some of the most down-to-earth folks, though Bill was one of the most respected game wardens on the continent at that time.

John Sharp and Tony Sanchez-Arino are two others who I would add to the list.

I believe Bill's wife was Ruth.

Bill has a very interesting story. He, like David Sheldrick started as hunters and ended as wardens - both in Tsavo, although Bill was also based in Mweiga. Bill never lost his affinity for the hunting and hunters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin Thomas, retired Zim professional hunter, author of 'There's Something About Buffalo‘.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Tony Tomkinson

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote