New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Brown Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was sorry to see that Ed Brown has suspended production of rifles. I have a couple including a Lott and find them to be reliable and ultra accurate. Does anyone know the reason for this. The company line is to focus on their core handgun business. They had a heavy price increase a few years ago so I presume the rifles were profitable for them. Maybe not? Sorry to see a good gun go off the market! Confused

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
This covers it all. Ed Brown Rifles

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is a shame, but understandable, although the only .45 ACPs I own, or ever will own, are automatic Colt's pistols.

I would not want to part with my Ed Brown rifle, however.

I remember the day I had to qualify at the 100/200 yard range at my gun club, to get the magic combination to the lock at the range.

I had my Ed Brown 702 Savanna in .30-06.

With Greek surplus ammunition.

First shot.

Ten. X-ring.

Second shot.

Ten. X-ring.

Okay. You qualify. Big Grin

The 704 is even better.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13664 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they got caught up in the build our own fancy 700 type-action boutique builder crash about a year ago. They have a better markup on pistols and parts, and American Handgunner keeps that market alive these days.
They seemed to be well made rifles, but you had a small market and no heritage to build on. Is Nosler about in the same boat these days? So many one at a time semi-custom builders out there these days...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
I think 99% of the "more "expensive market" is limited to around maybe 3 times a standard Rem 700 or M70. The sort of price of a Wby Accumark or the big Ruger in 375 and 416 Rigby.

In Australia at least the same seems to apply to cars. Very few cars sold that are more than 3 times the price of the standard GM and Ford cars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Mike said, Plus ONE! At $2000 Mamma gets a lot more interested in the goings on.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

First post here at Accuratereloading..outstanding reading here.

I was disappointed the see that Ed Brown has stopped building rifles, I count myself lucky to own the first .340 WBY Ed built, I bought the old Bushveldt model back in 2001. The gun is an absolute tack driver with 225's and 250's. Yeah, it was not cheap, but few things are.

Steve

Steve

Posts: 1 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Steve. There is a world of knowledge and a lot of opinions here, choose wisely.

I hate to see any quality builder drop out of the market. I hope they have a well thought out business plan and wish them the best.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote