Find
Notify
Tools

Safari belts and bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted
I am looking for examples of what you guys are wearing to hold all those cartridges and knife/multi tool etc. when you hunt dangerous game. How many cartridges do you carry?

On previous trips I used the side of the stock method and a cartridge pouch on a belt. Both had problems.

I am an hobby leatherworker and I am building one for my new .416 Ruger but I already do not like it and I am not even finished with it.

Thank you for the help.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Hunt Co all the way.....great belt,carry 10 shells,flashlight,other stuff.
It stays put during the long walks.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have a fannypak with everything I need while hunting and a leather cartridge wallet which holds 10 rounds that goes on the front. Not fancy but it seems to work.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobgrow

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I have a fannypak with everything I need while hunting and a leather cartridge wallet which holds 10 rounds that goes on the front. Not fancy but it seems to work.

Had not thought of that. Good advice. Do they do fanny packs in leather?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

Is that an Uncle mikes belt?

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
another vote for texas huntco - been on my waist for four years now and still like new - they have a selection of pouches and ammo carriers to meet almost any need

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was a PH, i'd have one of those Texas Hunt belts. But, when on safari, I only carry the following.

#1 Boyt 10 rd. leather shell holder in front.
#2 Boyt 5 round leather shell holder for solids on the side/back of my hip.
#3 Small digital camera
#4 Can of Copenhagen
#5 Zeis 8X30 binnos slung over my head and one arm, carried under my arm or pulled around to the middle of my back when crawling or when I know that its getting close to the time to shoot.

The cartridge holders are just slipped through my regular everyday belt with the buckle located on my side.

Water, extra ammo, SLR camera, snacks, flashlight and anything else I need is in my daypack that one of the trackers or skinners is carrying.

When I'm hunting in the states/Alaska, I carry everything I need.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I use the Texas hunt Co belt. The shell are separated so one can grab one or two if need be.
I carry 14 10 on belt, 2 in double rifle, 1 in each front pocket. Tracker has a 10 more in back pak.
Here is a pic with my bull ele and the Texas Hunt Co two 5 shell holders. Jeff Wemmer made upon my recommendation a 10 shell holder for double gun shooter and works fine for bolt shooters also. With his Ph belt it is outstanding.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I always used the Westley Richards canvas cartridge belt. But the TH one that retreever uses looks good too.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
well...you could take the fashion diva gear whore approach illustrated below:

or you spend about $30 on this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...69180%3Bcat104187780

Take it to your local shoe repair guy with about 7 or 8 dummy rounds and have him rip out the existing stitching and custom sew the right sized loops with your desired spacing and have a very nice set up exactly the way you want it.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike were did you cut the add from as i have been trying to buy one of those belts that is price at $250?

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 made to my specifications by Murray Leathers. I love them. I don't recall them being all that expensive.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A pair from "trader Keith" from last season.

I like to have a minimum of 12 rounds on me which include two soft rounds.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It was a while ago that I made up that picture as a joke. I don't think it is a Murray. I think it may have been off like the Holland and Holland site or maybe WR or beretta and I had to estimate price with currency conversions.

Murray's are a about $210 and are very nice.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Westley Richards belts and ammo pouches, I use open pouches and closed ones in 30-06 and 458.
Good quality stuff !
Buy the best and buy once.

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
or you spend about $30 on this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...69180%3Bcat104187780

Where's it made?

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I always use Texas Hunt Co. It's the best and the synthetic components are super tough.

For fastest access, I use the five shell loops in front and for additional ammo I also carry the zippered ten round ammo pouch that has a little compartment that's perfect for a point & shoot camera. I add three more little Texas Hunt Co. pouches, one for the GPS, one for a combination of bug juice and sunscreen and one for a Leatherman.

Jeff Wemmer makes quality products. I expect mine to last for a lifetime.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You could talk to your PH/Outfitter about having a "culling belt" made up to your specifications and have it waiting for you in camp.

My PH had one made of leather and canvas for me in Bulawayo over 15 years ago. It was very inexpensive at that time. Canvas shell pouches (20) with leather top and bottom edging and leather belt ends.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
I make no claim to have the experience of the other posters, just passing info along. If you like leather, check out Murray Leather Co. High quality, comfortable.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I had Dick Murray make me an ammo belt out of some tanned leather from a buffalo I shot. He also made a matching knife case. Top notch. The THC stuff is very nice too. I personally find the belts too stiff and the velcro can be a little noisy. It is made to last a lifetime though.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. It has given me some ideas. The Murray leather belts I can make, although it will not look as nice.

I will have to take a look at the Texas Hunt Co. in person. I like the functionality of it.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like leather belts with leather cartridge holders that slide onto them. Dick Murray makes good ones.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry my basic load of ammo; 10 soft, 10 soft in Murray leather pouchs on my belt, spare ammo in a backpack along with the other junk I always have with me.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry my basic load: 10 soft, 10 solid; in Murray cartridge holders on my belt additional ammo in a backpack along with the other stuff I carry

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Rub Line,

It's not listed where it is made...I looked at the belt

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shirt I am wearing in the picture, made by Ten-X back in the 70's, has the left breast pocket equipped with five elasticised shell pockets, each of which will easily accomodate cartridges for my .458 Winchester Magnum or my wildcat .505. The pocket flap is non-functioning trim. The pocket actually opens from the top, like a shirt pocket, for easy accessibility.

I carry a leather pouch with individual pockets for ten rounds and a zipper closure in one of the lower pockets. The gun bearer carries additional rounds, which I never needed.

I practiced with this outfit for months before using it in Africa and found I could reload instantaneously and instinctivley with it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Trader Keith's for me. Lined, Italian leather and very well made. Recommended by and used by Tony Makris. It's called the backup belt and sells for $145. Well worth it.  

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ditto on trader keith

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
My setup on regular US army belt - from left to right (I am lefty):

- camera pouch (includes spare batery set and additional SD cards)
- Softs
- Torch
- Swiss Army multi tool
- Puma dagger
- Solids

Additional cartridges that are chambered first (double rifle) are in my pockets (2 solids + 1 soft) + additional box of 15 solids and 5 softs in my Camelbak that holds 2,5 l of water.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote