New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Late in the Year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This was touched on briefly in another thread a couple of weeks ago, but I'm interested in a little more detail. Just how late in the season can you hunt in the Selous before you have to get worried about rain making travel and hunting impractical?

Thanks,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I would worry after the first week in November, but what the heck do I know?

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge, that seems to be the concensus. I just spent a day in bed (looks like I picked up a G/I parasite on a field trip in the Turks)reading all I have in the house on the Selous. A couple of authors mentioned that by early Nov. the game was quite scattered. Any one know if this is a gross generalisation, or is it really applicable to the entire area? Does it really matter if you are mostly interested in buffalo?

Thanks again,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
From my experience the rains generally come in around late November. Although I have hunted later than that. Earlier on during the season most of the waterholes tend to dry up and as that happens the Buff populations and other game obviously have to visit the permanent rivers to drink......so I've found that the best place to look for them is in the riverine habitat......but that's just my experience and others may feel differently.

If you have to hunt later than that then Masailand tends to be a safer bet.