Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Vehicles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vans
posted
I am not sure about the rest of the members on the forum but the sight of a fully kitted out and loaded Landcruiser (Landrover??????????) sure gets the adventurous juices flowing. I am sure between all the guys here they must have come across some interesting examples...... how about posting some pics?

Posts: 53 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'll look around for a picture (I know I've got one somewhere) but the most comfortable and efficient set-up I have experienced is the one belonging to Jan Dumon who is a PH near Hoedspruit. A really secure and protective rifle rack, but which allows instant access to the rifles, and perfect seat height and position in the pick-up bed make for comfortable riding and viewing. Also, his Land Cruiser has a gasoline engine which is almost silent at idle, unlike diesels. The last time I hunted with him was in 2002 (oh my, time flies!) so I wonder if he still has the same one.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
On the way to camp (Lions Den):

On a realy hot day - a way to go (somewhere on the road between Kariba and Makuti)...

...well equiped ofcourse and juices are flowing Smiler

And I am always surprised how in the name you can load up a Buff back there...well:

...or Eland:

Oh yes - juices flowing - God bless LC:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of mine:

Coming out of the Kalahari...

Double cab

Old reliable

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Nice, very nice, except your steering wheels are on the wrong side.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lion Bait ...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notice the front tires pointing in different directions.

The fix.

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful thing is a safari truck.
Thank you Toyota for all the wonderful times I have had in and around one of your trucks.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here are a few of mine:

Coming out of the Kalahari...

Karl, did you check the gas this time??????

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fell in love with the cruisers back in 88. On my trip in 06 I talked my ph into letting me drive his cruiser most of the time while on the hunt. I traded him three rifles in an even swap and then couldn't figure out how to get it in the States.
I have probably spent 10 hours on the computer trying to figure out how to legally get one into the US. If anyone knows a legal way please PM me. On the other hand, does anyone know why Toyota WON'T sell the cruisers in the States??

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emmission problems for short.

Why can't we get on of those little Kobota diesel motors they spin the wheel on the side to start? If I thought I could get it in a suitcase I would have shipped on home...last lawnmower motor I would have ever bought!

A guy I work with, African, ships US cars back for a side job. Haven't seen him in a while, next time I do I'll ask about it.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mouse93, that picture of Lions Den made me hungry for some biltong. A regular stop on the drive from Harare to Makuti.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take engIne out import as kit car, import engine separate.... Reinstall and only use off road..... Might not be able to register though, so offroad only

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stinks we can't get them here in the US. Strange though, if you do enough Google searches there are a couple US places that sell bullet proof Toyota Model 70s Land Cruisers here (maybe they just modify and not offer for sale though?).

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
You can buy a left hand drive Land Cruiser in angola, import it without engine to the US, and fit a Cummins diesel engine here.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
that picture of Lions Den made me hungry for some biltong. A regular stop on the drive from Harare to Makuti.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
In the back of Stu Taylor's well set up Cruiser.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good Safari Vehicle for the trip back to the lodge.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
This is a good Safari Vehicle for the trip back to the lodge.

Mark

WOW! Two zebra, a waterbuck and an eland! That's a load.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Muletrain,
Picture 13. Where do I get an "accessory" like that for my Toyota Tacoma 4x4? You know, the "acccessory" to hold my binoculars? Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Chaps that's not a Land Cruiser this is and 35 years young today. There is not a car in the country that could touch it for its 4 wheel drive capabilities. Photo of client and my man Green packing up after a night in the bush.

When the going gets really tough we call in the POS Land Rover which as you can see is great for dragging baits up cliffs.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
As you know those short wheel base cruisers are great for hard use but you almost start peeing blood after a long bumpy journey.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
As you know those short wheel base cruisers are great for hard use but you almost start peeing blood after a long bumpy journey.

That is why we use these for long journeys and for carrying the odd soft Australian.

A Land Cruiser VX with the back cut off and welded to the front. To make space for all your make up.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Chaps that's not a Land Cruiser this is and 35 years young today.

...not, this is 60 years young Big Grin

Instruction manual - on passengers side at least. Man, only now I see how much staring at that thing one do on a 14 days hunt.

Gearing up. One of the "greatest" things is a drive through a storm - water coming in from all sides, bugs...and you are basicaly seating in your own stew, spiced with bloody early season seeds...

Still all pays off at the end (usually). beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Chaps that's not a Land Cruiser this is and 35 years young today.

...not, this is 60 years young Big Grin

Instruction manual - on passengers side at least. Man, only now I see how much staring at that thing one do on a 14 days hunt.

Gearing up. One of the "greatest" things is a drive through a storm - water coming in from all sides, bugs...and you are basicaly seating in your own stew, spiced with bloody early season seeds...

Still all pays off at the end (usually). beer

They were indeed great machines - the only other 4x4 that came anywhere near the SWB Cruiser was the Russian Gaz - 3 speed but a damn guzzler on petrol. loading capacity on both however was piss-poor.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
mouse93,

Now we are talking.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Ahh bugger the bloody Cruiser's packed it in again mate!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The Cruiser is pull starting the truck in reverse.

Because it can.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here is one of my "old school" favorites with a manual winch we used in Namibia.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Knowing a Landy it is probably parked under the same old tree. Bet the winch works though.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Here is Leon Kachelhoffer's Land Cruiser. The cab is completely removed above the dash up. It is equipped with an inverter to run the fridge and charge cameras, etc. The stick you see lashed in front of the passenger is to keep branches from hitting the passenger in the face. It didn't always work but it helped.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Love these pics! Our Cruiser puked a rear drive shaft on our last evening, and Terry Calavrias and George the driver removed it and drove us back to camp on the front drive shaft; that is until the Selous elephant cows and calves refused to leave the roadway, and decided it would be more fun to charge the wounded Cruiser full of wide eyed Tanzanians and slack jawed Americans. Great end to a great safari...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Any shade you can get at 95*

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the rig Jan Duplessis had at Sebra in Namibia was pretty slick. The Unimog wouldn't go terribly fast but that thing would climb damn near anywhere.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
http://i447.photobucket.com/al...ing/Aquatrace248.jpg

Whilst not quite Africa, here is my hunting beast, we get the cruisers with the 4.5 V8 common rail diesel here in OZ and they are euro IV compliant as well, its a 08 pictured with my two 458 Lotts and an unfortunate camel

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rhys: I was waiting for someone to post a photo of a Unimog. Amazing machines. Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UNIMOG !!! Thanks Rhys, I almost just wet myself.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote