THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    PG & .458 Nosler Partition @ 2000 fps

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG & .458 Nosler Partition @ 2000 fps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Question only for those who have actually taken PG or American Elk sized animals with a 300 grain .458 Nosler PP at around the 2000fps velocity or faster. In terms of penetration on the larger bodied animals (Gemsbok/Kudu sized) how well did it penetrate/expand?

Reason I am asking is becuase my girlfriend (GF) and I are heading back to Namibia again in 9 days for our second go with Jan and Mariesje du Plessis and Sebra Hunting Safaris. My GF had never been hunting before our first trip with them in May 08 and she loved it. Though she didn’t carry a rifle she was out with us every day. Since then she has gone from 22lr revolver up through 1911 45ACP, several small caliber rifles and has been shooting “her” Marlin 45-70 with Nikon 3x9 Slughunter BDC at the range a couple of times a month. Started her out with very light minimum Trapdoor level loads and she has worked up to 300 gr bullets at up to 2000fps. Considering she is 5’4” and 125lbs and 95% of her shots are staying sub 2” groups a 100yds, she has come a very long way in a very short time. I was able to snag a couple of hundred .458 Nosler 300grain PP before they stopped making them (and the prices skyrocketed). From the bench, she can run a 150 rds of 300gr anything at 1600-1800fps (calculated MV) and can do 20-25 at 2000 fps before the group starts opening up. This year she “may” decide to actually be a “hunter” and is seriously thinking about taking a Kudu if the opportunity occurs. Not going to take a shot over 150yrds. Can’t imagine a better first hunting experience for her…or anyone for that matter.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote