New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy elephant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK let's say I kill a trophy elephant. What is involved in getting the tusks back to the USA? Procedures? Costs?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, Just like any other trophy as far as cost. You may need CITES depends on where you take your ele. I have shipped two back, Usually costs me a little less because of the somewhat smaller create. Get quotes on shipping.
May want to have some hide tanned, this can get a little pricey

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Piece of cake. Your outfitter will have the CITES permit, they clear the tusks in the country where the ele was hunted. The tusks are shipped to the States just like any other trophy and cleared through Fish and Wildlife. Then on to your taxidermist. For the hunter, there is no paperwork required. The outfitter handles all the paperwork. Just need to make sure that outfitter has all the paperwork filled out correctly (I rely on the receiving shipping company to check all the paperwork before the tusks are shipped). Easy.

On the hide, do a panel swap. Have the outfitter swap your salted panels for tanned panels. You will pay some for the tanned panels, but it is far less than shipping the salted panels. Besides, the tanneries over here do not do a very good job of tanning ele hide.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Now if shot in Tanzania, you have to get a cites app from USF&W fill out and send back to them and a check $100
You will receive it in a month or so. Looks like a car title id#
You then send cites number to your PH and he will
then get it to his man in country and it will go to packing people and be cut into ivory
Then packed and shipped to your broker, broker has to have cites in hand for clearance.
On the cites you will have to have listed all you are importing ivory (2) skull, 2 front feet
skin panels how many, tail, ears
Have done three costs vary on weight shipped cartons.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thank you gentlemen. I may be getting too far ahead here but perhaps others may benefit as well: what does one do with the tusks when they arrive?
quote:
Then on to your taxidermist.

Or, what does he do with them? I may have to hide them from my wife!
Peter.
PS. I like the idea of swapping for already tanned hides, but, do they come with the tusks then?

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The taxidermist will do nothing with them unless you want him to. Most will be mounted in a base which may require the taxidermist to fill the nerve cavity with something to keep the thin ivory from cracking. If you just want the unmounted tusks, you could probably just pick them up from the shipping company once they are cleared.

Yes, the tanned hides are shipped with the tusks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people choose to have some of the taxidermy work done over there. Some companies will offer to do artwork like a map on the ears.DO NOT let them do this!!!! U.S. Fish & Wildlife will not let you bring any worked elephant products into the contry. I believe tanned leather is ok.

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Piece of cake. Your outfitter will have the CITES permit, they clear the tusks in the country where the ele was hunted. The tusks are shipped to the States just like any other trophy and cleared through Fish and Wildlife. Then on to your taxidermist. For the hunter, there is no paperwork required. The outfitter handles all the paperwork. Just need to make sure that outfitter has all the paperwork filled out correctly (I rely on the receiving shipping company to check all the paperwork before the tusks are shipped). Easy.

On the hide, do a panel swap. Have the outfitter swap your salted panels for tanned panels. You will pay some for the tanned panels, but it is far less than shipping the salted panels. Besides, the tanneries over here do not do a very good job of tanning ele hide.

+1

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tanned leather is fine. That is not considered to be finished product. I checked with John Jackson with Conservation Force before I attempted this. I have done the tanned leather swap twice now with no issues.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I recently submitted an application for a CITES permit for an elephant. USFW returned it and my check with a letter saying they are no longer required.

I was very surprised. Haven't had time to look into it yet. Is this true?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
All of my bulls have come from Zim and the CITES is provided by the Zim government, nothing to apply for here in the States. Not sure about other countries.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venda axe:
Some people choose to have some of the taxidermy work done over there. Some companies will offer to do artwork like a map on the ears.DO NOT let them do this!!!! U.S. Fish & Wildlife will not let you bring any worked elephant products into the contry. I believe tanned leather is ok.

This is not true. In October i received a crate from Zim with a tusk, skin panels tanned, two feet, 1 painted ear and a pile of things i had made from the hide. Had no problems at all.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's a bit more complicated than has been mentioned so far.

It all depends on where in Africa you shoot the elephant and what country you're importing into. For example, despite Mozambique having a perfectly legitimate CITES elephant quota, USF&WS don't allow elephant products from Mozambique to be imported.

These links might help: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ITES-appendices.html.

http://www.shakariconnection.c...frican-trophies.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help, gentlemen!
Peter.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't advise shipping hide unless it's tanned. Then be aware there will be holes in the hide. It is very expensive for just three panels. I know, I paid the shipping bill. Just have them make you some gun cases and mount your tusk.

Posts: 12 | Location: texas | Registered: 06 August 2010Reply With Quote