New
Find
Notify
Tools

No reports from DSC yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I figured we would have some reports from Dallas by now? Maybe it's so cold over there that all of their tongues are frozen to the flagpoles??

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I went for a bit Thursday but got caught on a conference call and only got to visit with a few people. Today is usually pretty crowded (at least it was at Market Hall) so I will try to swing by again tomorrow.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent most of the day there friday. Not nearly as busy as usual. It is cold as hell for this area and probably kept a lot of people from coming out. A lot of the outfitters and booking agents looked a little lonely, did not notice too many people with their checkbooks out. I thought that a lot of the prices were a little optimistic considering the economy. It is always nice to go, high prices or not, to visit old friends and hpoefully make new ones.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
John Hunt reports he has a hangover!!! hilbily Does that help? Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BAB - Not surprising info I guess??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I figured we would have some reports from Dallas by now? Maybe it's so cold over there that all of their tongues are frozen to the flagpoles??

Larry Sellers

Wife and I was there Thursday PM, All day Friday and today until 3 PM. Looked slow on Thurs. & Frisay. Today looked like at least 2X yesterday. We were not there to buy, just to meet old friends and PHs. To me some rifles looked higher, some a little less. What hunts we did pick up brochures from looked optimistic to me.

I preferred the Market Hall,but I guess we'll learn to like the Conv. Cent.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Anyone see my big brother? If so, was he looking glum or happy?

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

If he is glum in Dallas, then he will be happy in Reno because I intend on bringing business his way as I expect others will as well!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parking is hell Mad

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
quote:

If he is glum in Dallas, then he will be happy in Reno because I intend on bringing business his way as I expect others will as well!

Thanks Pegleg!! You won't be sorry.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saw him Thurs as I went by their booth but did not stop to chat. He looked okay then but it was the first day.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
David, I saw and spoke to your brother today. He seems to be happy to me, but I don't know what he looks like when he's glum. Wink

He seemed to have people at his booth each time when I walked by.

I showed his your Facebook post on the Borderline walk that came to my Blackberry this afternoon.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
cold as hell.... not very crowded.... saw lots of nice doubles... and bolt guns too.... may book a leopard hunt....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Charles, 450/400,

Thanks for that. Just spoke to Alistair on skype and he said they did well. If Alistair said that, I know they did. Great news.

Cheers, David

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Here is a post on the first day that I did on another forum:

http://www.levergunscommunity....opic.php?f=1&t=23907

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had a bit of excitement right at show closing tonight. As alluded to above, it's been bitterly cold here in Dallas (for Dallas) and apparently some pipes in the roof of the Dallas Convention Center froze, burst, then thawed out enough to start spraying just at closing time tonight. At about 5:45 (show closes at 6) a small leak turned into a major gush along an area about 30 yards long, spraying all the booths underneath with a lot of water. Exhibitors scurried to get their goods and displays moved out of the way, and apparently little damage was done. However, the floor was saturated and the water was still coming down. This is in the front center of the hall. I'd say about 15 booths were effected. I don't think much damage was done to exhibits but we had to start clearing the hall about 10 minutes early. To everyone's credit, the clearing was orderly and fairly quick and by 6:30 the cleanup crew was in, new carpet was on the way and the water was being vacuumed up.

Quite a bit of excitement for the end of the day. All the exhibitors I spoke with were complimentary on the way the show was going; today being better than the first two days, and smiles were widespread. We're looking forward to tomorrow with the mishap being hopefully minor and with little or no effect on the rest of the show.

Dennis
Conceierge, DSC

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
So how bad was the parking today (seeing as someone mentioned that there was a problem)? I had no problems Thursday. Are they still working on the escalators in the garage?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given that this is the first year we've been in the new venue, some confusion and exploration is in the cards. The official DSC parking is within two block of the hall. That parking is at the corner of Memorial and Hotel streets, if I remember correctly. There are shuttles moving from parking to the hall if you wish to use them. Admittedly, there have been some issues with the scheduling of shuttles and such but I haven't had to wait more than a few minutes for one. I discovered yesterday that it's a short walk to the hall from the parking area, and have since been walking to and from.

The larger problem was getting the exhibitors unloaded for setup in the hall on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Convention Center is set up more for large conventions where the exhibitors ship their displays ahead of time and Freeman takes care of the setup, etc. The load-out tomorrow has been redesigned and will, hopefully, go much more smoothly. Again, time will tell, but the staff and volunteers are working hard to get the folks, both exhibitors and attendees in and out with a minimum of trouble.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He looked very happy!
dancing

I am not sure if he sold any hunts but he is having a good time.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had a VERY good show to this point, only Sunday to go. Could use about another week here. We have been too crowded in the Chifuti booth but not complaining. The larger hall makes it appear a bit less crowded but I do not think that is the case. A few bugs at the show were expected, and came along , but DSC worked to smooth any problems out and I think they did a great job at that. As usual, DSC board members come by to check if you need anything and to say thank you for coming. SCI staff comes by to tell you your booth is 1\4 inch over the tape. THAT is the main reason I far enjoy the DSC show and attitude .

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Parking is hell Mad

Friday I parked about a 1/4 mile away and froze walking to the show.

Saturday I found the garage on the right side of South Griffin as you near the convention center. For 10 dollars we parked inside and walked a very short distance to the show all inside.

We have enjoyed the show. We were able to visit many people we know. Also finalized our hunt to Zim and left a rifle with Bitterroot to build.

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
That would have been a wild sight if the H&H booth had have been under that water leak. I would have cried to see 150K-200K doubles getting drenched. Last year when I went by their booth I didn't dare ask to pick one up. I would have been terrified I would drop it.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:

He was happy at dinner Friday night,

He was happier at the honky tonk,

He was happiest when I booked 21 days for elephant in 2011 and 21 days for lion in 2012.

I was happy the whole time.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
That would have been a wild sight if the H&H booth had have been under that water leak. I would have cried to see 150K-200K doubles getting drenched.

As soon as I heard about the leak that was the first thing that popped into my head!!! Eeker

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was happiest when I booked 21 days for elephant in 2011 and 21 days for lion in 2012.

Very awesome!!! Congratulations!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:

He was happy at dinner Friday night,

He was happier at the honky tonk,

I was happy the whole time.

patriot

Thank you for making my brother happy sir. Life is not easy when he is glum. I hope to meet you in due course.

Cheers, David

David

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
That would have been a wild sight if the H&H booth had have been under that water leak. I would have cried to see 150K-200K doubles getting drenched. Last year when I went by their booth I didn't dare ask to pick one up. I would have been terrified I would drop it.

If they are worried about getting their guns dinged up they shouldn't put them out there on display. I got a photo of my father helping my five year old son hold a $165K 12 ga. at last years show. I like being able to fondle guns that cost as much as my home!!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I was only there on Thur and Friday but enjoyed it. I got to see a few AR members I knew previously and meet a few more that I hadn't. Got to see a bunch of outfitter friends from all over and made a few new friends.

I like this show much better than SCI, but I didn't care for the facility layout as far as parking, hotels, close, and the general street maze around the conv center.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same thought about the maze of one way streets around the Convention Center, and I have lived in Dallas for a while. But this may be where the convention will be for a while, it's just getting too big to be anywhere else. It's not too bad after you learn your way around. I sometimes wish it was smaller like it used to be, and everything could be in one location; back then you could walk to everything, your hotel room, the banquets, the exhibits, and not even go outside.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Humm. For $10.00 a day I parked in the parking garage below the convention hall on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Left my jacket in the car and rode the elevator to the exhibits. The DSC folks as well as all vendors, folks working the show and the convention center staff were absolute jewels. Not perfect but absolute jewels. I wish them great success in the future.

As for the person who designed the downtown Dallas "freeway" system,; may or she be staked out on a ant hill of fire ants and when dead be reincarnated to live all through it again, for eternity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a great time on Saturday. Parked in the parking garage and took the elevator (so I don’t know about the escalators). The new layout is great with more room in the isles to get around. I didn’t hear an attendance figure so I don’t know if it was slower than last year. There was enough more room it would be hard to judge the crowd size compared to MH.
I got to talk to some good friends and old acquaintances. I even got drafted to watch a friend’s booth for a while. Can you imagine leaving me alone with a whole booth of expensive toys?
I think if you are looking for a nice shotgun you might look at this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIN7cAn2-b4
I looked at the Sabatti rifles at Cabellas booth. They looked quite nice for the price. I talked to a friend who was present when a person (who I won’t name because this is just hear say) had one apart and thought they looked pretty good on the inside. I would defiantly trust this person’s opinion.
JJ had his usual great display. There was a fairly new store Willoughby McCabe & Co had a nice selection of doubles and other rifles and shotguns. To much to look at and not enough time.
I hope no ones displays were messed up to bad by the waterfall. There was a lot of wild scrambling to get every thing moved out of the way. I know how much work and effort goes into getting displays built and set up at one of these shows and hope they can
Recover and have a good finish to the show.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote