Find
Notify
Tools

What's up in Botswana?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted
I had a message from a PH friend in Botswana that the new President is closing down concessions and generally making moves to restrict and eventually stop hunting in the country, in favour of photographic safaris.

Are we going to see Botswana slide off the map as a hunting destination?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge he hasn't closed any concessions but I am a bit out of date on that. However, he has in the last year or two, limited some quota on some species in some areas.........

Admittedly, he's not a great fan of hunting but I'm also very sure he is also aware that hunting is about the 3rd largest hard currency earner for the country and that it provides an awful lot of employment both directly and indirectly for the population.

I'd say it's not impossible that he might want to close or more likely, limit hunting at some point, but my guess is he'd face an awful lot of opposition from the concession holders and their employees etc

So I guess everyone should book ASAP! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
This has been going on for years-reducing hunting areas and increasing photo areas. I think there will always be some hunting as the $$$$$$$$$$$ is to important.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
their leader has his head in the wrong place moon

at some point I hope he realizes that photo safaris will not replace the revenue hunting brings in!
secondly, instead of culling to control populations and bring nearly nothing to the economy-hunting is way better way to manage populations AND bring in revenue & employment----------tree hugging libbys have no understanding of economics or business and even less understanding of conservation

--hunters are true conservationists

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
This is rather an interesting question!

I'd heard once way back that Ian Khama was not very impressed by some of the antics of the Blackbeards, and that this has resulted in a somewhat critical view of hunting & hunters.

But, a bit of Googling indicates that the Blackbeards seem to have had good relationships with, if not Ian, at least his father Sir Seretse Khama, even to the extent of a joint venture in a hunting safari company.

Perhaps there's someone out there with some real facts....?

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Bots in Aug hunting ele. Reading their newspaper. The president is against hunting but was willing to listen to a report that the hunting and anti-hunting group had hired to evaluate hunting in Bots. The group hired to do the report did not have a dog in the hunt. It had not come out before I left. It should be out by now. I know some of the big operators are expanding to Mo.
Maybe they know something.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to side-track the thread but genuine curiousity here: Are Sable and Sitatunga still off the menu in Botswana? If this is the case, when was this instituted and what was the rationale behind this move?

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
sable for sure is off the list-don't know about sitatunga.also, the current president's anti hunting bias is fairly well documented. as far as economics go, if you look at what the upscale photo safari companies such as Wilderness Safaris charge in Bots you would be surprised. put 8-10 people in one of their Okavanga camps for a week and the amount spent by them would more than equal what an elephant hunter would spend for a 2 week hunt( and the photo camp would employ more locals). unlike photo safaris in Kruger and a few other areas in Africa, the upscale photo trips in Bots are very expensive. as an aside the founders of Wilderness Safaris were Bots PH's who decided they could make more money starting a photo operation.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Palos:
This is rather an interesting question!

I'd heard once way back that Ian Khama was not very impressed by some of the antics of the Blackbeards, and that this has resulted in a somewhat critical view of hunting & hunters.

But, a bit of Googling indicates that the Blackbeards seem to have had good relationships with, if not Ian, at least his father Sir Seretse Khama, even to the extent of a joint venture in a hunting safari company.

Perhaps there's someone out there with some real facts....?

The book "The hunting Blackbeards of Botswana" which is an excellent read details the relationship between Khama and the Blackbeards, they practically grew up together

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
The book "The hunting Blackbeards of Botswana" which is an excellent read details the relationship between Khama and the Blackbeards, they practically grew up together

It's one I still intend getting to read!

Thing is, if they grew up together one would tend to think that Ian should then have been "pro-hunting" unless......???

I know now that a lot of the antics of people I grew up with "put me off" certain things later, especially as one matures a bit....thats lifes lessons.

I'd NEVER reveal the source of my info, but its a pretty impeccable source, by the way. Still, only 2nd hand so thats why I pose the question here.

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
You won't be dissapointed with the book.

It was the father, Sir Seretse Khama, whom grew up with Dennis, seems as if the passion was not passed on from father to son. I did read the book some time ago but if I remember correctly, although they did grow up as friends it wasn't the "hunting" that kept them friends.

As I say I did read it some time ago

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recent Okavango managment plan pitches photo tourims as far more benefical than hunting in most circumstances I hear...and I believe recommends that hunting be reduced in the Okavango.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know rthe facts, but one would hope that the Bots govt. would learn a lesson from Kenya and do their best to work out a proper blanace between hunting and photo interests.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the mayor problems with Bots closing hunting is that a lot of the hunting areas are very good for hunting but terrible for game viewing. So you stop hunting in one of these areas and the cash flow drys up for the local people.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12975 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I used to subscribe to the opinion that the safari industry with the fees and rates we paid were much more profitable to various countries than the photographic industry that largely paid nothing. Then about 7 weeks ago when flying to Dar es Salaam I was on a plane packed with tourists and ultimately figured out my son and I were the only ones on the plane with rifles in tow. All the rest were decked out in their zip-off pants and were carrying loads of camera gear. In that simple example, considering the hotels, camps, and staffing requirements, would it be the photographic or hunting safari groups about to get the most business? Considering that the hunting season lasts only about 5-6 months while the shutter bugs are given 12, which group has the advantage there?
My PH in Tanzania was from Botswana (Leon Kachelhoffer). According to him, the president there (who doesn't care for hunting anyway) has figured out which industry to bet on--and it's not us. Leon said the Ivory Camp (made famous on Under Wild Skies) will be closed to hunting. Other major areas are also being converted exclusively to benefit the photographic industry. Some of the prime spots currently hunted by Johan Calitz will be lost to the high traffic picture takers as well.
It’s an unfortunate situation that may be difficult to reverse, particularly when combined with the number of animals that Botswana has already removed from the list of huntable animals. Let's just hope Tanzania doesn't take the same approach.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anybody explain to me: what is this "blackbeard" thing?? What does it have to do with Botswana?? Sorry if I am asking the obvious...

Spring, it is correct that photographic tourism can generate a bunch of $$$ - just on account of the number of people participating. But don't forget, to support that type of tourism, you also need huge investments in infrastructure such as hotels and roads. Something hunting does not require. I guess it is a bit like tourism in Spain: tons of tons of people generating comparatively little $$$ each. OK, Botswana is a pretty high price destination, but just go to places like Chobe, and you'll see that photographic tourism demands high number of participants - even in Botswana.

Besides, it is far from all areas which are suited to photographic tourism - game numbers have to be high, and the bush can't be too thick.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Botswana hunting camps are restricted to a maximum of 8 hunters. Photo camps can house 16 clients. Prime photographic camps charge as much as $1,000 per day. Hunting camps rarely have 8 hunters in them, I'm not sure of how full the photographic camps are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a higher occupancy rate. It appears that Botswana has decided that Photo is the way to go, and from a pure financial basis, they may be right. Unfortunately this will have a greater impact on the Delta; more people, roads, waste, etc. If you have any question regarding this just consider that the airport in Maun is scheduled to be expanded to handle jumbo jets. If you haven't been to the Okavango delta yet I'd suggest that you book now, while you still can.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
mho

The Blackbeards are a white family from Botswana who are famous PHs in Botswana. They recently compiled a book of family hunting tales (I would assume as I have not read it) called "The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana". Ronnie Blackbeard hunted for Hunter's Africa and was on the Capstick series "Hunting the African Lion" video. I don't know much more about them, but that should shed some light.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brett, I learn something new every day Smiler.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yip here it starts

I have wondered when the rumours will start too come through,

I had heard, once again a neigbourhood rumour at that one night after a lot of vodka in a photsafari enviro that Greenpeace had years ago paid a lot of USD too Khama , as proof of their commitmment too Photo safaris and too limit hunting and or ban it ??

So now the ? is this just rumours or is that old saying Where there is smoke there is fire ??

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Further to MHO's ?
"The Hunting Blackbeards of Bpotswana" is a good read, worth looking for.
Per the book, the Blackbeards first moved to Serowe Bechuanaland (now Botswana) in the 1880's and Dennis' father Samuel was granted trading concessions, lands etc. by King Khama the Great. The families were and remain friends. Sir Seretse Khama, King Khama the Great's son and Dennis were good friends and Sir Seretse became Botswana's first President. Now his son Ian Khama, whose mother was/is? and Englishwoman is President, and maintains friendly relations with Ronnie and Gavin Blackbeard (both PH's)as they grew up together. I believe Ian Khama was educated in England (as was Sir Seretse). There are a number of interesting pictures in the book, one in particular of Sir Seretse, Lady Khama and Dennis Blackbeard with flock of lions (actually four) Dennis shot on Khamas cattle post. The times they are a changin' I guess.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Khama has always been anti hunting. Not radically so, but as an ex Brit army officer he could understand hunting people but not animals that couldn't shoot back.

He will not "close hunting" like Kenya, but has seen the balance sheet and that in prime areas, photographic tourism is at least as profitable as hunting - and where ever possible he will encourage photgraphic tourism. Where conditions are such that photo tourism isn't an option, then hunting will continue, especially where it benefits rural communities.

Kenya has tended towards the "bulk tourism" whilst Botswana has clearly targeted the rich only. The dirt cheep camping trips I took as a kid in Moremi reserve are no more. Even if you are driving yourself, and they provide a small piece of swept sand and a dodgy long drop latrine, you are going to pay alot more per day than you will on a plains game hunt in SA or Namibia!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Hunting and tourism are seldom competitive, but mostly complementary.

2) Several studies suggest that high volume photografic tourism is more HARMFUL to the environment hunting. More trash, more locals living in the reservation core areas.

3) We MUST DEMONSTRATE THAT PHOTOGRAFIC SAFARIS ARE CONSUMPTIVE USES OF NATURE, and in most cases of high volume photografic safaris, such as those mentioned above, far more CONSUMPTIVE of resources than hunting.

4) High volume photografic safaris are CONSUMPTIVE of non-reneuable resources such as oil and requires building infrastructure which deacreases the wildness of the area, while hunting consumes RENEWABLE resources

5) The meat of animals shot on safari substitute for the production of domestic stock, alleviating the use of land for food production, as well as oil, fertilizer, etc.

Studies that show that photografic safaris are as profitable as hunting are ridiculous, but accepted in academic environments because people are against hunting based on completely different reasons.

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sheer numbers of photographic tourists will most certainly exceed that of hunters. The excess resource useage claim could be valid at some point, but doubtful anybody reliable could / would compile un-biased stats indicating pro / con with regards to the seemingly benign practice of guiding photo safaris.

However, I do know this, there are no trophy fees paid by photo-tourists and that fact alone justifies to some extent the economic value of sport hunting over photo safaris. Add to that the fact that no meat is distributed to the local populations by photo safaris. My hunch is that with an increase in photo safaris in lieu of hunting, poaching will go on the rise.

Opinions pro / con to this post welcomed...

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked my outfitter in the Eastern Cape about hunters versus photogs. They actually run both and find them complementary. During the winter months they use their preserve as a base camp for hunting and hunt on local ranches. During the summer months they use their reserve for photo safaris. They started as a hunting outfit but started doing photo safaris to keep their staff employed through the summer. They now make slightly more money on the photo side but far less per-client. They all said that they like the hunting side better since they get to know the hunters. The photo people only stay for two days, are go-go-go "show me the big 5" and leave. Then again, I was a hunter so they may have just told me what they thought I wanted to hear.

Posts: 34 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote