Find
Notify
Tools

a good thing to do
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Local chapters of SCI can indeed do good things. The money to pay for the plane tickets was raised locally, through auctions, 50-50 drawings, passing the hat, and raffles.

This hunt is with Pieter Stofberg of Nimrod Safaris. He hosted the Veteran that went last year and it was a great hunt. Pieter is a Veteran himself and goes deep into his own pocket to do this.

Viet Nam Vet gets dream hunt to Africa

Postscript: It takes a lot of people to make this thing work, many of them are part of our A-R neighborhood. It could not be done without the help of "Kathi" of World Travel Mart who goes above and beyond helping with the travel arrangements. There are many contributors from A-R too; Mike338, Mike Smith, Aspen Hill Ann, Pecos, just to name a few.

[ 10-10-2003, 19:17: Message edited by: Matt Norman ]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again a very deserving individual gets to go on the hunt of a lifetime. These hunts are done every year and have been extremely successful. Both in terms of the hunt and the impact it makes on peoples lives. Last January Pieter Stofberg and I were having a beer and discussing last years hunt. He got very tearfull just retelling the story again. This is a great program that touches the lives of everyone involved. This is a great project and you guys should look into supporting it or something like it. The Detroit chapter has worked hard to make this happen as well as Pieter. Check out the story in the Free Press that Matt has linked. Any questions feel free to contact any of us.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I am glad he will be going. That's a nice article the Freep wrote too.

[Smile]

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok,

You Michigan chapter folks. I want to start a dialogue about working with me/us on a project for next year on the Legends Ranch. We just did a wheelchair hunt this week with Skipper Bettis on the ranch and filmed it for TV. We discussed working with you guys to do it again next year, we are going to make it an annual event. We are also looking at donating a Huntmaster (Courtesy of our sponsor Budweiser)to the area for other folks in wheelchairs to use.

-

I will pass on more to discuss when I have more info next week.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Every chapter of SCI should sponsor hunts for Challenged Youth and Disabled Vets. Doen't have to be to Africa. It could be a deer hunt or even helping getting them out to a shooting range, they would appreciate it.

dwhunter, you have a pm with phone numbers. Let's work together.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, That is great. IM sure you and Matt will work well together.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
My chapter (Phoenix) is sending a young man on a safari wish hunt for elk and mule deer in Montana. He is leaving 101303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt and MIke,

Allyson Garcia from SCI Tuscon sent out an email to every chapter in MI yesterday with some info on what we are going to try and do together. It looks as though we are going to combine a hunt at Legends Ranch next year and also donate the Huntmaster. I am not sure how this will work with so many SCI chapters in MI but I am sure we can work it out. FYI- We have an MOU with SCI and we have discussed doing this type of thing together all across the country. With SCI in IL and NJ we are in the process of donating a combined total of 6 Huntmasters to different parts of the states and as you might imagine these are for anyone that is in a wheelchair or other that is mobility impaired not just Veterans. Matt, I will try and call you next week.

Thanks,

Doug

[ 10-11-2003, 17:47: Message edited by: dwhunter ]

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote