THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    John Wayne hunting rhino with a snare on a stick

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wayne hunting rhino with a snare on a stick
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
On TBS right now John Wayne is hunting a rhino out of a truck that would make Jed Clammpet proud. He's zooming around in the old truck trying to catch him while hunting in what is supposed to be Arusha..... The movie is called Hatari. Is this still the way to hunt these things???

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, for game capture that is the way they used to do it, at least for Hollywood! Good movie though. I have that one for a long winter evening with a few sundowners.....

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Spring,

You better take the Power Wagon and remember how the Indian got hurt. Kurt should drive for you. Pockets is working on his secret "monkey capture" plan.

Damn, I love that movie (or was it a boyhood crush on Dallas?)

Hatari doesn't mean "danger" for no reason.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Great Movie. Keep in mind it was made in I believe 1963 or so.

watch it for the scenery. It mentions the Safari Bar and Safari Hotel which were actual places in Arusha. not sure if they are still there or not but i Believe it was pretty accurate for the times.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It's available on "Amazon.com"!

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

"Hatari" is one of my favorite movies! Yeah, it's campy and corny at times... Big deal. It's just a fun movie. Anyone else notice how several of the characters chain smoke in the movie? It's looks funny/weird from today's perspective. I saw this movie as a kid (I'm 49 now) and I think it's what planted the Africa seed in me.

What's interesting to watch is some of the background scenery in the movie. Especially when they are in town towards the end of the movie. It gives glimpses of how things were at the time (1962?); kind of a time capsule.

And don't forget, they were chasing / capturing BLACK Rhinos in the movie. Small chance of shooting footage like that today, I would imagine.

And yes, I had boyhood crush on Dallas (Elsa Martinelli) after seeing the movie!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We always comment on the chain smoking going on through out the movie, and yeah, it does seem strange at this time and distance. Lots of times they light the next one off the butt of the one before--that's what's know as a bad cigarett habit--LOL. We watch it a few times every year and one of our favorites. Id love to have been in that area at that time. I think it was made either in 1962 or 63.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
This is quite a fantastic fact:

"According to director Howard Hawks, all the animal captures in the picture were performed by the actual actors; no stuntmen or animal handlers were substituted onscreen. The rhino really did escape, and the actors really did have to recapture it-- and Hawks included the sequence for its realism" source Internet movie database

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And now for a little modern day connection:

Jan Oelofse with John Wayne on Safari
http://www.janoelofsesafaris.com/professional_hunters.htm

"In his early twenties he went to Tanganyika, where he worked for Paramount Pictures, capturing animals and training them for the movie Hatari, starring John Wayne. His patience and skill were put to the test when, like an airborne mini Noah�s Ark, he had to transport his entire menagerie of forty animals on a DC 6 to Hollywood, via South America and the West Indies, to complete the filming. Whilst in Hollywood he trained as a pilot, a passion that has been with him ever since."
from: http://www.audi.co.za/news/archive.php?articleID=666

Jan Oelofse Hunting Safaris
P.O. Box 81
Kalkfeld 9000
Namibia
http://www.janoelofsesafaris.com/

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great movie. that Africa Queen, and Ghost in the darkness are the only africa theme movies on tv.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, Elsa Martinelli in her jammies...or with just a towel! How wicked that was thought at the time. I watch that movie at least twice a year just for the fun and humor. Pockets milking a ram....

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you know when they stopped shooting game in Holywood movies? I know it used to happen quite frequently, and the Kenya PH Bunny Allen was often a 'stunt double'.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ''powerwagon ''was a dodge m37 which in the rhino chase ,changes to a dodge weapon carrier wc52 made up to look like a dodge m37, so i dont know if for some reason two seperate chases were carried out in different places then the two were put together as ''one '' one rhino in the shots is big the other smaller .saw this movie in 1970 at thedrive in .and own a m37 as result of seeing this movie all those years ago

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loved this movie. Me and a couple of buddies tried roping Pronghorn similar to this in the 70's. Our skills and Chevy trucks weren't up to the task. We got one wrecked truck and one concussion and never really got close to a Pronghorn.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
JD, Good story. We have a problem here in Colorado during the hunting season of "hunters" chasing pronghorn with their vehicles and shooting while the vehicle is moving. Of course it is illegal...and illegal to shoot from inside the vehicle even if stopped.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,

Of all the animals to try a "game capture" scene with, I think the pronhorn would be my last choice! Big GrinBig Grin I would love to try an experiment one day in which a cheetah (or two) is radio collared and released on the wyoming plains just to see how they do against those turbo goats. My gut feeling is that they would burn so much energy bringing down the occasional prey that they would starve to death.

All,

What is all this business about "boyhood crushes"? Hell, I'm 32 years old and STILL have a crush on Dallas!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Brandy was fantastic also. the old Dallas vs. Brandy dilema. Much like Giner vs. Maryanne on Gilligans Island

Posts: 2581 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is this still the way to hunt these things???

Nowadays they use "muster" choppers with large boma fences leading into smaller paddocks bit by bit.

Had the pleasure to join in such an operation with Viv Bristow on Chipisi near West Nicholson in 1994 in Zim.

No black rhinos unfortunately but plenty of wildebeest, eland, zebra, and giraffe.

Quite an operation. A small two seater chopper with no doors. Hung out of it to take photos. At one time there were 7 large semi-trailers/prime movers on the road to load up game.

Maybe not as much fun as a bull-catcher in "Hatari" though.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD
Same here. My cousin and I tried to rope steers sitting on the flat fender of an old Willys pickup after watching the movie. It had one of those big round turn signals on the fender which made it easier to stay on across the field by putting it between my legs but was a bitch when the rope came taut and I was pulled off the truck through it.

The real tough part was when my Grandfather caught us chasing his cows with the truck.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What is all this business about "boyhood crushes"? Hell, I'm 32 years old and STILL have a crush on Dallas!

I can agree with this sentiment. She's probably old enough to be my mother, your's for sure, yet my only exposure is through that movie and based on that: HOT!!! Get out the flame retardant toilet seats because she is built.

[I feel so low right now...]

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
A little searching found her date of birth to be 3 August 1932. She sure was attractive.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Is this your dream girl???

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So at 71 or 72 she is likely still alive and maybe available . . . though not likely as cute.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Michele Girardon ("Brandy") died at a fairly young age (1938-1975). I did some searching on the web, but I wasn't able to locate any details about her death. Here's the rest of the cast with their year of birth and death (blank if still living).

-Bob F.

HATARI cast

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056059/fullcredits

Cast (in credits order):

John Wayne (1907-1979) .... Sean Mercer

Hardy Kr�ger (1928- ) .... Kurt Muller

Elsa Martinelli (1935- ).... Anna Maria 'Dallas' D'Allesandro

Red Buttons (1919- ) .... Pockets

G�rard Blain (1930-2000) .... Charles 'Chips' Maurey

Bruce Cabot (1904-1972) .... Little Wolf aka The Indian

Michele Girardon (1938-1975) .... Brandy de la Court

Valentin de Vargas (no info given) .... Luis Francisco Garcia Lopez

Note: Richard's post above gives Elsa Martinelli's year of birth as 1932. Doing a little searching, I've seen it listed as 1932, 1933 and 1935. The years given above are what the source web site had listed for each actor/actress.