New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe: Land is for blacks only
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HARARE, Zimbabwe (Reuters) -- Zimbabwe will not invite back white farmers whose land was seized by President Robert Mugabe's government despite calls by the central bank chief to allow them to help the struggling agriculture sector, state media reported.

"The land here is for the black people and we are not going to give it back to anybody. We are not inviting any white farmers back," Security Minister Didymus Mutasa, also in charge of Lands, Land Reform and Resettlement, told the state-owned Sunday Mail.

Since 2000 Mugabe's government has seized thousands of white-owned farms after often violent invasions by government-backed veterans of the country's 1970s struggle against white rule.

But Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Governor Gideon Gono recently urged Mugabe's government to allow some white farmers back on to the seized farms to help revive an economy near collapse.

Gono has said while some new black farmers were doing well, he was disappointed with the performance of others, adding that the government should allow some of the skilled former white commercial farmers to resume operations in strategic areas such as horticulture.

A recent World Bank study on Zimbabwe's agriculture sector said the government's land reforms had redistributed 80 percent of farmland and improved racial distribution of agricultural property, but had increased poverty.

Once the mainstay of the economy, agriculture now contributes 40 percent to national exports, makes up 18 percent of gross domestic product, and employs 30 percent of the formal labor force and 70 percent of the population, it said.

Official statistics show that the sector saw output falling by 3.3 percent in 2004, worsening food shortages which the WFP says could threaten up to a third of the country's 12 million people.

Mutasa said a newly-created National Land Board would scrutinize some land beneficiaries to make sure they had enough agricultural machinery and capacity to farm.

Zimbabwe's mainly white Commercial Farmers' Union says that nearly 4,000 white farmers have been dispossessed, leaving between 600 and 800 still on their land.

Mugabe's government says the land seizures are necessary to redress ownership imbalances created by Britain's 1890s colonization of the southern African state, but critics say the seizures have resulted in food shortages because the new owners lack farming experience.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Monday, August 1, 2005

1 US Dollar = 17,701.0 Zimbabwe Dollar

RIP Mugabe //

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
food shortages because the new owners lack farming experience.

Rather call it lack of brain!

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7: (MUGABE)
critics say the seizures have resulted in food shortages because the new owners lack farming experience.
Lack of farming experience? Yeah they are "lacking" all right, but it ain't "experience." jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
1999 1 US dollar = 34 Zims

2005 1 US dollar = 17,701.01 Zims

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! bewildered

I hope your proud of yourself Bob!!!!!! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's Mutasa not Mufasa!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading the article this morning I can say that I am not even remotely surprised that Bob and his boys are turning the breadbasket of Africa into one that will be needing handouts soon. It is damn shame that people have to live under a tyrant.

As someone who has been reading this forum the last few weeks, I am impressed at the knowledge and info of the members and look forward to continued conversation and debate.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
old bob just doesn't want any of the white mans dollars I guess - can't help but wonder about the chinese ones

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Screw Zimbabwe!!They will not be seeing any part of my white ass there hunting or spending money.I really think that ALL WHITE HUNTERS need to stay away!No matter what!!!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old addage: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Sadly in this case it rings true, eh!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
People in this country should take a really good, long, hard look at Bob and his policies.

This is the end game of left wing social reformer, touchy feely, P.C. politics.

Can you say "slave reperations" Can you say "EEOC" AKA state sponsered racism.

All of these wonderfull ideas are tought up in various marxist think tanks around the world. It's just that they've been implemented to their full potential and with out check in Zimbabwe.

Whe I read about what a wonderfull guy Mugabe is "A talented leader who deserves better" in Newsweek three years ago it confirms to me just how deeply seated these marxist ideas are becoming right here in the good old USA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its okay the Chinese will take care of ole Bob Roll Eyes

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Its okay the Chinese will take care of ole Bob Roll Eyes

That is true ...

The only problem is our Western Govt people in POWER collectively have been going around for years like a one eyed blind man with a patch over his eye ...

The Chinese were deeply involved in Zimbabwe during their bush war( long story) so now they are using the political route to sneek back in again.

For those Uninformed (the Chinese) are also moving into some of the Regional Pacific Ocean Island countries and setting up some good cooperation and aid packages there as well and basically infiltrating the region, unless the powers to be do something soon about it then dont say (I did not warn you) as they are infiltrating JUST like the terrorists have infiltrated our decent society ( due to our complacency & lax liberal ideas ) and when it is TOO late we will all throw our hands in the air scream like wild dogs and say holy s..t look what they Chinese have done HELP !!!

Switch on folks and dont ignore what is going on around you in the world, as soon, as sure as day turns to night it will be on your doorstep next ... we can see the warning signs quite clearly

Take care

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
As a "white" man (actually Caucasian) I want to say I'm tired of being abused by "the man"!
Sorry, I just couldn't resist! roflmao
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
1999 1 US dollar = 34 Zims

2005 1 US dollar = 17,701.01 Zims[QUOTE]

July 1995 1 US dollar = 8 Zims

May 1997 1 US dollar = 13 Zims

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So, what? What dispossessed white farmer in his right mind would take Mugabe or any of his lackeys at their word anyway?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is difficult to understand Americans supporting the Mugabe regime by hunting in Zim. I know there are wonderful PHs in Zim but when you read stories of OAA in bed with one Mugabe henchman or another it is hard for me to believe that a part of American hunting dollars are not funneled into the coffers of the government. I know dispossesed Zimbabwans living in the U.S. and to a person they believe that American dollars are helping prop up Magabe and his thugs. I would love to see and hunt Zim but I never will because I would always feel that my money was helping a government oppress its white population and the black population that opposes Mugabe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost certainly some dollars and other hard currency spent by Western hunters (and tourists) end up in the coffers of Uncle Bob and his cronies. On the other hand, at least some of these dollars are also the currency by which trackers, camp crew, game scouts, hotel staff and PHs are able to subsist, or at least buy anything that's not produced in Zim (like sugar, gas, etc.). I'm not exactly sure its the real Moral High Ground to let lots suffer and maybe even starve, just because the government also prospers. Taken to an extreme, why would anyone pay for licenses or spend money in California, and other bizzare places (don't flame, I lived there ~15 years)? You may well be right, but I just got back from a hunt there and my conscience is not bothering me very much. I had a great hunt, and nuch or most of the dineros I left there will get into the hands of good guys. The problem is with the wimpyness of Western powers that are afraid to push, lest they be seen as colonialists or racists, within the rest of the world and at home. Uncle Bob is 82, and may have health problems. Hopefully, things will get better there (they may get worse for awhile though) after he moves on to his eternal reward.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I will continue to support the good guys in Zimbabwe with my dollars. Yes, I'm sure some of the money gets into Bob's hands. What I am also sure of is that I put dollars directly into the hands of some very good PHs and really great camp staff. Plus, I am directly responsible for putting meat on the table for quite a few villagers.

Bob is nearing a tipping point since China didn't bail him out of his IMF problems. Hopefully, in a few years, the good people in Zim won't have to deal with an insane despot.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm 100% behind ICUDoc's and Terry's comments. Most of the money spent by us there stays with the PHs and all the folks they employ and it helps them and not the goverment. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mufasa,

I think that in part, your comments are spot-on...but, if we stop / boycott Zim hunting, then the whole industry there would collapse. There would be no reason to "protect" the resource and that which is still left would quickly dissapear...You know what has happened to the Sable populations, once plentiful on the now desolate "re-claimed" farms for instance.

This is a slippery slope....We have to continue to support hunting in Zim for conservastion purposes even though we might dislike who is getting the money....this is a strategic move on our part to keep hunting and wild areas intact.

A bit of a catch-22 I do admit.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff raises a good point I'd not even considered. The reason they have wild critters in Zim (and may other places) is precisely because they are valuable (and in hard currency). No hunters = no value other than as "bush meat" = no protection or conservation. When all is said, as Deep Throat advised, "Follow the Money"

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote