THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: CZ's Can Be Made To Look Rather Nice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: CZ's Can Be Made To Look Rather Nice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
Frans,

I am sending you a PM.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To stain a light stock that has a sanded in finish one has a tendency to cut back to the wood and this makes staining very difficult, Thes is a trick passed on to me by a good friend and stockmaker who got it from Jerry fisher:

Use Brownells water mixing powders and mix up a equivelent to red alkanet root color..

Completely finish the stock in your sanded in finish, when finished, knock off the top by wet sanding with water. wipe dry and set up overnight...next day stain to desired color, wipe it back with levi material to desired sheen..stand up overnight...Now rub in two or three coats of Pilkingtons red oil...Let cure for several days to a week.....

If the finish is going to be high gloss, the stain the clean wood and apply your coats..

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jim,

i would love to know what he used to get that dark look, providing its not a trade secret of course.....I suspect I will have to find a dark oil...

Has this secret ever been unveiled? I've used "extra dark" gun oil on a beech stock of a .22 but that never did the trick (looks nice, but not dark by any standard). I'm on the brink of parting with some money to get an American Safari Magnum in .458 Lott, still split between either the regular stock or the laminate (in brown/beige) provided I find a local source, or a lead on getting one imported.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim
I've done almost the same with my CZ 416 - how do you find the comb height on yours??? - mine is just slightly too low for a firm cheek weld with open sights, so I'm considering having it restocked with a higher comb.
Charlie

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

With my fat face the comb is plenty high , In fact, I wish the front of the comb was slightly lower, as it is just high enough to catch my cheek bone when firing from the bench. It did the same thing, if not worse, with the factory Luxe stock configuration. Recoil is not as noticeable offhand obviously.

From a natuaral sight alignment standpoint, it fits me great. When I bring the rifle to my shoulder with my eyes closed, on opening my eyes the sights are perfectly aligned.

I haven't tried it with a scope yet, but my intention was to make this an iron sight rifle first and foremost, with the scope as a secondary consideration.

I finally got to try it at the 100 yard range recently with the express sights. I won't do final adjustments until I decide on a permanent load, but wanted to see approximately how far from POA it was presently. The sun was on the sights from the side, and as it would go behind a cloud or come out from behind a cloud it was causing a change in the sight picture. On top of that, I don't see the sights as well as I used to, but the potential is there.

I have mounted a scope on it now, and will see what that does for grouping on the next trip to the range.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim- lucky you - my skinny face is obviously the problem! Another excuse for me to restock is that the LOP is an inch short for me, even with the thick Kick-Eze pad. I currently have a Pachmayr slip-on in addition which is a great combo for soaking up recoil, but not 'traditional'!!

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote