Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info Re: Frankfurt Airport
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Flying D/FW to Frankfurt to Windhoek.
Wife and I have the long layover in Frankfurt. Someone said there is a lounge and shower for a fee facility in the airport someplace. Anyone know where or has anyone ever used it?

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
What airline are you flying? From that route I would assume AA?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, there is a pay facility (about 5 Euros) in Terminal 1.

If you are flying business or first class with your airline, there may be a shower facility in their lounge or in one of their partner's lounges.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
577NE
Many thanks...Gracy said there was one but not too sure just where in the airport it is.
Yep...we are flying AA to Frankfurt.
Maybe lots cheaper than a day room.
Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry:

Are you a member of any Frequent Flier club? For some airlines they give their premier member access to their clubs which may have a shower facility.

I would even try calling the airline, saying that this is a special trip for you and your wife (such as an anniversary or honeymoon) and ask them if they would give you a complimentary pass to their lounge in Frankfurt. I've gotten free stuff in the past.

If you get a no, ask at the counter when you check in.

Worse thing they can say is no...

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Harry,

You've got a long layover in FKT.

Yes, there is a pay shower in Terminal 1, at the B Concourse. There may be others but I have seen it often departing/arriving. I have never used it since it's my homwtown airport but have seen the sign.

The fee used to be 5DM (a coin), what it is in Euros at the moment I couldn't say but I'm sure it's affordable.

Pardon what may be perceived as my being cynical - but they are annotated with a little "shower head" symbol in comjunction with the standard "male/female" toilet symbols and I bet if you looked around or asked at one of the Information Desks there are probably some more spread throughout Terminals 1 & 2.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Franfurt is a very boring airport -at least if you don´t have access to the lounges (which I don´t).

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems you can get a day pass at the AA Admiral's Club for $75 for the bride and I. They have showers etc. so that is most likely what we will do instead of a high dollar hotel room.
Thanks for the input...most appreciated.
Mims

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Harry,

I booked a day room at the Frankfurt Sheraton Hotel (located right smack at the airport) for only $175 American. That includes a bed, shower and all the comforts.

Just thought you might want to know that the rates aren't all that high.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Harry,

If I recall, the layover maybe as much as 10 hours. I stored my firearms "in bond" and jumped on the train into town just to walk around...about a 40 minute ride.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

On our recent trip we didn't get a day room. After the trip we figured that the day room would have been well worth the price. The trip over got pretty warm and stuffy and a shower and bed to take a nap in would have made a great difference. Especially with the next flight to Windhoek being another 10 hour flight.

We did go into Frankfurt and had lunch but after that we spent 8 hours watching security walk past with their sub-machine guns at waist level. For the gun-barrel consious that wasn't the nicest thing to see for those 8 hours.

I would second cewe's opinion that the Frankfurt airport is very boring if you're not in the lounges.

As an aside, the duty free stores have some great scotch whiskeys at great prices if you need to take a bottle to camp.......just wish I'd had the room to carry a bottle!

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote