New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Toyota LandCruiser colors
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting close to having my cruiser ready to repaint. Richie Swemmer, my ph in Zim had a cruiser in "Mamba Green" which I believe was an original Toyota cruiser color and after a while the color kind of grew on me.
My request to cruiser fans is, could you post different colors of cruisers you have hunted out of when in Africa other than white. Also any good photos of the hunting racks in back would be appreciated. I have some idea of what the rack will look like but always open to new ideas before I design the final version.
Thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
This was an old model Cruiser with the external door handles and classic colour;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a late 70's early 80 model in the Dune beige color which I like as well. Mine is a 1985 model like I used in the Okavango in 1988.
You Ozzy's are around them everyday but it took me years to get one from your country to the US. My plan is to restore it as close to a African hunting rig as possible.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
There is a Cruiser copy made in the States that looks great. The name eludes me at the moment.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a Cruiser copy made in the States that looks great. The name eludes me at the moment.

It's Icon 4X4 and they are sick...

I like Volker Grellmanns with the dark green fenders and dark khaki body.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes the "ICON"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever since that first introduction to the "cruiser" in the Okavango I've dreamed of owning one. When the transport trucker drove into my hometown and asked how long I had been waiting for him I said "24 years"!
She's old and the body was abused but I've managed to source most of the replacement parts and getting ready for a proper build.
Her little 6 cyl diesel purrs like a kitten, I'll go start it up in the morning and let it idle just to remind me of Africa mornings. Even my wife remarked the other morning, "Sure sounds like Brent Hein's cruiser before we head out hunting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too, have an old Land Cruiser. It's a 1974 and it is in the Dune Beige. If you would go to Cool Cruisers of Texas website they have a table of all the factory colors and the code numbers for them. You may see the color that you want there.

I see where you have hunted with Brent Hein. I have hunted with him on three safaris and will be going with Brent again in November. My brother took a video camera and took a lot of footage while in the back of Brent's Land Cruiser. The videos are really good and especially with the Land Cruisers engine "hum" it really brings back fond memories of our safaris.

Tenga cuidado,
Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a cruiser, but this little TOYOTA truck stayed in my PH´s backyard in Namibia.
Ex Army issue he told me and used as an utility truck on the farm, but the color might be in the lines you are asking?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is in the back of my tractor shed a 1961 fj25 cruiser with but 38000 miles on it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic tan on my '05 HZJ79 Cruiser.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
How about something like this?

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has an FJ45 but made into a short bed. HAs an LS1 engine and big tires. It is the traditional khaki color.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
David: Thierry told me who had the red cruiser, but I can't remember. Whose is it?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
David: Thierry told me who had the red cruiser, but I can't remember. Whose is it?

Will, it was Pete Wood who had the fire engine. Think he has traded it in now. That cruiser toiled, in Chewore particularly. As tough as its owner...

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I thought it was Wood, but I knew he had a new white rig these days.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Ja, he got married and had to tame down a tad, at least appear more normal...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Wood had a red one like that when I was hunting with Roger in the Save in 2001. A clients 17 year old son wrecked it while I was in camp. What a disaster, I thought Peter was going to kill the kid.

D. Unger, I'm envious of your super cruiser, we can't own a "new" one like that here in the States but it is nice. Your color was my first original choice but I'm leaning toward the green or the Dune Beige which is very traditional.

Is Peter Wood still hunting? He seemed like a helluva good chap!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
How about something like this?

I know that Cruiser!
Does Mr Shorty still track for Peter? He was a good tracker and so is his brother Trymore up in Mozambique.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sevenmag,

I am envious. I have 79 FJ40, but love the 79 series. Checkout ih8mud.com. It is the most comprehensive Cruiser forum I've seen. The import rule is ridiculous. Some guys have built "new" 70 series trucks with new bodies from the Middle East and put them on 80 series frames.

Let's see some pictures.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WAS building one of those 79 series on an 80 frame, within a couple of months of being finished. The builder, whom shall remain anonymous, turned out to be somewhat less than what I thought they were. I bailed out before it all went south and got this "old" cruiser to restore. More fun doing this one myself and it is like the original one I hunted in out of Botswana.
Tired of fighting trying to post photos on this site but if you pm me your email I will send you a couple of start photos of beginning and then when I get it all done.
I would love to be able to drive it to Dallas next year for the show!!

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
sevenmag, yes, Pete is still hunting for sure. Still hunting for Roger and also just done a stint in CAR. Oz, can't say for certain but am sure Shorty still works for him, they were inseparable. Ja he was touchy about the red devil but I can't see why as it was a heap of junk sofa
Once I pissers on the wheel and he became very Mad and wanted to BOOM me, but then I bought him some beer and he calmed down..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevenmag you should drive it out to my place on Monday see you then

Posts: 32 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can pick up a couple local trackers on the way out.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's Icon 4X4 and they are sick...

Baxter, I was getting ready to curse you for putting me onto the ICON trucks. Was playing around on their website, thinking I needed one, and then I found on for sale for 155K! Ouch. Might as well be looking at Lear Jets; about as much chance of me getting into one.

Check it out

http://www.dupontregistry.com/....aspx?itemid=1143862

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cruiser service time between clients;

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I remember Pete's fire engine very well. I filmed a few hunts with Pete back in 2005. He never let me drive it though, that was Shorty's job. I am pretty sure that Shorty still hunts with Pete.

I saw Pete last year in Harare before i headed to Humani and i asked about the big red truck, he said that he got rid of it. He now has a white one.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 694 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Like most PHs, they treat their valuable Toyota's like gold. He certainty had his eye on me as I backed up on a Buffalo. And Shorty likely hasn't needed to get it into second gear. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
Not a cruiser, but this little TOYOTA truck stayed in my PH´s backyard in Namibia.
Ex Army issue he told me and used as an utility truck on the farm, but the color might be in the lines you are asking?

Arild, that is a Landcruiser, it's an earlier model, FJ40 series, my dad had one very
similar, but in a lot better condition than that one. Smiler

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter, those look like the very traditional cruiser color, correct me but I think it is called Beige or possibly Dune Beige. Would be great to get a color # off one of those to match up exactly. The CCOT website is hard to visualize colors on a 1x2 piece of paper.
Thanks guys for all the photos!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
sevenmag, yes, Pete is still hunting for sure. Still hunting for Roger and also just done a stint in CAR. Oz, can't say for certain but am sure Shorty still works for him, they were inseparable. Ja he was touchy about the red devil but I can't see why as it was a heap of junk sofa
Once I pissers on the wheel and he became very Mad and wanted to BOOM me, but then I bought him some beer and he calmed down..

As of August, Shorty was still hunting with Pete.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.eliteukforces.info/...nther-land-rover.php

How about painting it like the WWII SAS Pink Panther Landrovers ?? Roll Eyes tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tan/beige colour code for of the newer landcruisers 70 series is beige 4E9. Any body shop should be able to mix it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DUnger, do you think that is the same color (e49)that Ozhunter has a previous photo of doing maintenance?? Is there possibly a darker color than those photos or is it just the lighting?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think its the same colour, just exposure in the picture or light. Its beige but has the slightest green tone its hardly noticeable.

Glad to hear you have your cruiser project going. Cant wait to see some pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense now. I like the original cruiser color and my son is fond of the "mamba green" which is differentSmiler We'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mag, I just about did the green when I was doing my re-build, great colour but thought I might get tired of it.

Are you re-painting everything including the inside of the cab?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darren, that's my only reservation on the green is that I might tire of it. I've had to source all three new cab parts(TOP) as mine were rusted badly. The bed was structurally compromised by rusting through along the top rail. The extra weight of the rack plus people was too much to risk.
I will repaint the interior down below the glass line and then rhin-x from there down to the floor. My biggest problem is finding the RHD split bench seats that came original with this cruiser. I found LHD seats from ENS but they won't work obviously. If you have a source please pm me!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thought you might find this interesting.
Not African Toyota colour but this is how SOME Australians (Particularly Victorian Sambar hunters) test their Toyota's out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeiDBDRb664