Find
Notify
Tools

Plains Game: Rifle Weight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Simple Question: What is an acceptable rifle weight for a plains game hunt?

Alternate Question: How much do you carry it yourself?

The Good Lord blessed me with an over-active mind that simply never shuts up. I constantly review, analyze, re-analyze and then of course, second guess that decision. Since I am now actively looking at 2011 for a PG hunt (*wanted to do it this year but that didn't happen), I'm working to get some gear in order.

I'm fairly convinced this is a pointless debate as I'm sure most will just respond back with "You're Fine. Go out and enjoy the hunt!". Still, I must ask...

I see a LOT of different rifles used in PG hunts. Everything from 26" super-mags to customs to common fare. The weight on these rifles, scoped, must vary between 7# scoped up to 12# scoped!

I'll be the first to admit, a sub 7# rifle is a thing of beauty to carry. My upland shotgun weighs in at 6# and I love it in the field. But if one doesn't walk particularly far, then the weight becomes a bit of a moot point.

For PG, my current plan is to use my Ruger #1 in 7x57. It weighs 8.5# with a round in the chamber. In fact, most of the rifles I see weigh right around 8.5# (Rem. 700 in 30-06 + scope = 8.5#) and many of the custom Mauser 7x57's I've seen are close to 8# unscoped.

There's a big difference between an 8.5# rifle and a 6.5# rifle. But if one doesn't carry it but a mile or two, then the weight isn't that huge a deal.

Am I making any sense? Does a PG hunt demand something like a Sheep rifle?

Of course, I may just be overthinking the whole damn thing! You are all welcome to tell me so too!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my first safari, like you, I wanted to go light on the rifle but I also wanted to go with a proportionatly light calber: I decided on a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior in 7mm-08. Savage advertisies this rifle at 6.9 lbs. The light carry weight and low recoil made for an exceptionally comfotable hunt and I would bring it again in a heartbeat. That said, if you must have a larger magnum caliber, you will also need a heavier, long action rifle.

To answer your question about how walking on safari differs with a light vs. heavy rifle, I think even slight differences in weight and dimension can be felt over the course of a long day. I have carried heavier rifles while deer hunting than the one I used in Africa and that longer barrel and beefier weight got irritating fairly fast (hence why I bought the Savage in the first place.)

Posts: 159 | Location: Bellevue, NE, USA | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How much should a woman weigh?

I carried a 10 Lb, 375 H&H for plains game in Namibia.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much a rifle should weigh, but I do know that when I do my 1st PG Safari ('12 I hope), I will be very likely weilding my LH SS MRC in 358 Norma, I believe it would weigh about 9-9.5 lbs field ready, yes a little heavy, but I love it.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, I may just be overthinking the whole damn thing! You are all welcome to tell me so too!

OK, I'll agree with you there.

I've only been to Africa 3 times, once to Zimbabwe for Buffalo and PG, and three trips to South Africa at 10 or more different properties or concessions for various PG. I don't think we were ever more than a mile or two from a vehicle.

On my first trip, I took a "off the shelf" Rem 700 in 7mm Rem mag. Probably somewhere around 8.5 lbs.

On my second trip, I took my custom stocked .375 Ultra mag for Buffalo and also PG, and a different Rem 700 also in 7mm Rem mag. My .375 RUM weighs 10 lbs, and this 7mm weighs 9 lbs.

On my last trip I only took my 10 lb .375 RUM.

I don't give a lot of thought to the weight of my rifles, they're all about 8.5-10 lbs. My favorite Sheep rifle, a custom stocked .257 AI, that I've taken on at least a dozen Sheep hunts weighs 9.5 lbs plus sling and bullets.

And your other question,
quote:
Alternate Question: How much do you carry it yourself?
I carry my rifle 100% of the time on all of my hunts.

It's most important to get in A LOT of practice from various field positions, including off shooting sticks. Then have a great hunt!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Jeff coopers idea...holt it out at arms length in you weak hand and holt it for a minute...if you cannot manage that- the rifle is too heavy

I favour a 7lb rifle for dangerous game...fail to see why something for plains game should weigh more

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My hunting rifle weighs in at 9 pounds, with a full magazine and scope.

I have been carrying it myself on all my hunts. Sometimes walking all day for up to 15 hours.

One does get tired at the end of the day, but I have never gooten to the stage where I let one of the trackers to carry it. Many have offered.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My hunting rifle weighs in at 9 pounds, with a full magazine and scope.

I have been carrying it myself on all my hunts. Sometimes walking all day for up to 15 hours.

One does get tired at the end of the day, but I have never gooten to the stage where I let one of the trackers to carry it. Many have offered.

But it weighs less at the end of the day after shooting up all the ammo Big Grin
seriously, unless you're doing something like an on foot hunt for eland, a plains game hunt, you really don't do much walking, so weight isn't much of a consideration

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I can answer the alternate question
"How much do you carry it yourself? You carry your rifle all the time you are hunting. Only time you should not carry it yourself is if you take 2 rifles and have someone that is willing to carry one of your rifles for you.
But if you are a hunter and have only one rifle along you should carry it every step PERIOD. To me if a person doesn't carry their own rifle they are not a hunter unless they have some condition that doesn't allow them to carry their rifle

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle bearers are passe'. I love my Ruger #1 RSI in 7 x 57, and you should have a great time with yours. I'd go with heavy bullets. 160's if you load your own. Don't worry about lots of velocity. Sectional density and penetration are key.

Most PG safaris don't involve miles and miles, so weight shouldn't be an issue. If it's 2# too heavy, just diet off 2#. A little exercise prior to the hunt will enhance your ability and enjoyment.

I'd have a method of getting a second round up quickly. I saw a rubber device once that held two rounds, fastened to the scope mount. A couple of shirt pocket loops would work, too.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 416 rigby in a CZ safari classic, trijicon scope,,, bullet sleve on butt which holds 9 cartridges, with magazine full weighs over 10 lbs,, and I carry it at all times,, yes it is heavy,, but dang sweet to shoot, and very effective

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Right, good comments, All.

I'm 41 years old and will be 42 for Africa. To start the year off I weighed 196# (5'8"). I'm down to 178# and my goal is 168# by end of year. Exercise and cardio are way up. I live in a very steep and hilly part of So. California. 2.5 miles per day of fast walking - and I will push that up to about 5 miles per day come winter. Plus, upland game walks.

My next step is to start carrying a large weighted pipe with me to build up "carrying muscles".

My 7x57 load is a 160 Partition over 50.0 gr. of Hunter for 2,650 fps and groups sub 1" at 100 yards. I'm a bit over-glassed, but what the heck. It's topped with a Diavari 2.5-10x40 and backed up by a Leupold FXIII 6x42.

So really, if I'm going to walk 15 miles a day, an ultralight rifle makes more sense. But if I'm only going to walk 3 miles a day, then the rifle weight doesn't really matter.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing. I just don't want to get caught out of place. Like when I went Chukar hunting in the Cali Desert with a 9# 12 guage. Oh man...that just hurt.

(*PS: the whole point of this was not to find out about Rifle Bearers. I have no intention of needing anyone to carry it for me. I, on the other hand, DO want to know what I'm getting in to...hence the quesiton.)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert: Congrats on the fitness program. You're really doing the right thing by trimming down. After your first PG hunt you'll be hooked on Africa. You'll want to come back many more times, so I recommend staying in shape.

Not sure where you're headed for your first safari, but if it's RSA or Namibia, I for sure wouldn't worry about the weight of your rifle. Your hunt will likely be a Toyota Landcruiser based safari. You'll glass from the roads and if your PH spots something worthy of taking a second look or a shot at, you'll get out and stalk it.

Whether your stalk is successful or not, you'll eventually end up back in the Toyota within due time, to continue your pursuit of plainsgame.

The weight of your rifle should not be a determining factor..anything in the 7-9 pounds range is fine. With the adrenaline boost of spotting a trophy animal, the rifle weight will be a non-issue.

If it is on the heavy side, it's better for recoil and will shake less cradled in the shooting sticks.

First and foremost select the rifle that shoots most accurately, something per say that you'd feel comfortable shooting at an elk from 200 yards away. Whatever setup (rifle, scope and load) that is, will drop any PG species in Africa, with one shot.

In addition there are many fine PG safari outfitters who post here, who would be more than glad to get you booked right today. What are you waiting for man? It's only money!

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis DR in 9,3x74R weighs just a hair over nine pounds with the Leupold 2-7X-33mm loaded.
I carried it over one shoulder by the muzzles.
I think six or seven miles would be a good day.

I congratulate you on your exercise/weight loss regimen! That's how to prepare for Africa. Or life.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only beeen to Africa once (RSA) and that was a PG hunt last year. ISS (who posted a little while back said that he has been to Africa twice) and I seem to have about the same guestimate on walking distance, but it's really hard to judge. It's really not about how far you walk in a day, but for how long at a time. You will walk some, stop, spot, walk, spot, stalk or get back into the Bakkie and drive to another location.

You will be too busy hunting and enjoying the surroundings to get tired durring the day, but look out come pillow time. You will sleep like a log.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Being in shape is much more important than rifle weight. Take the gun that you shoot the best and are the most comfortable with. You won't notice the weight during a stalk and you won't notice recoil when your target is a trophy......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep up the exercise & you'll be fine. How far you'll walk, how tough the terrain is, how hot it will be, etc. are totally dependent on where & when you hunt. Also, some Phs like to walk more than others. As the client, you'll likely have some say in this- preparing yourself physically will allow you to make the best of the trip that you've saved your hard-earned dollars for.

As for rifles, your #1 in 7x57 will be just fine, don't just practice carrying it though- make (or buy) yourself a set of sticks and practice making hits FAST.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote