Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Availability in Camp?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be making my first trip to Africa next year (East Cape, plains game) and am in the process of deciding which of my rifles to take on the trip. When all is said and done, I'll probably take a .300 Win Mag and a .30/06, just because I've owned both rifles for a while and have confidence in both.

But the process started me thinking about the issue of ammo availability and the conventional wisdom of taking rifles with popular chamberings to Africa. From what I've been able to tell, there is reasonable ammo availability in South Africa for common cartridges (.30/06, .308, .375 H&H, etc.). But once you leave SA, it seems that all bets are off. If someone in your hunting camp happens to have some spare ammo, then it's there, but otherwise there's no real source of available ammo in most places.

The conclusion that I've made from what I've read is that the practice of using common chamberings has some merit in locations like SA, but is probably of no help in Zimbabwe, Namibia, etc. Therefore, if I feel like taking my 7mm SAUM to hunt with in Zimbabwe, I might as well, since I'm up the creek if my ammo is lost, no matter whether I have the 7mm or my ubiquitous .30/06.

Is my conclusion correct, or am I missing something? I assume the situation is even more true for the DG calibers? The only possible solution might be to take a rifle in the same caliber as that of your ph, but who knows if he has any ammo to spare.

I'm not staying up at night worrying about the situation, but am nevertheless curious as to the experiences of others. Should one take common chamberings just in case, or is it a pointless exercise?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking I think it is best to hunt Africa with a mainstream cartridge, as your odds of scarfing some ammo are better, but certainly not guaranteed. Communicating with the PH is a good idea, to see what they have and/or can get a hold of from their hunting company or fellow PH's. I mean, one would expect HHK, Chifuti or CM Safaris to be able to make a plan for some 30-06, .375H&H, .458Win or .470 rounds.

I am in the practice now of arranging ahead of time for access to a decent backup rifle/scope/ammo, which addresses the possibility of lost ammo and/or rifle, or malfunctioning rifle if on a single-gun hunt. I have yet to have my bags or ammo not make it, but it is a real possibility. Outfitters that can offer quality arms to clients have an edge in my book.

If traveling with an observer, I have split the ammo between the various suitcases (as well as other gear). If there is a camp gun known to be available, but ammo is suspect, in some cases it is possible to take rounds for it. Evaluate your contingency plan case-by-case.

I read one post where somebody was looking to send over ahead of time some reloading dies, a good idea if you can pull it off…and stockpiling an extra/unused box or two is an option if returning to hunt with the same PH (yes, supposed to take all ammo home with you).

This all being said, I sure like the looks of the Hawkeye African .375 Ruger…. Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I probably could have picked up .458 WM or .375 H&H in Harare and it would also have been available in camp, although those who had it probably would prefer not to have to give it away as our access is better than theirs.

You could probably source some common calibers in Windhoek too, but once you get outside a city you rely on chance, so unless the PH or another hunter uses it you are likely out of luck.

Just my guess based on limited experience.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
On my last hunt two of the clients showed up but their ammo didn't. They were using 416Rigbys. There PH also used 416Rigby but only had limited rounds. The PH bought all my 416Rigby ammo for the clients. Luckily I had completed use of that rifle and still had my 7x57 and plenty of ammo. Otherwise after resighting their rifles and using the PH's ammo they all would have really been short. The funny thing was there was plenty of 458WIN and 375H&H in camp.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I left several boxes of Rem A-frame 375 H&H in the Save a year ago. But I wouldn't count on ever finding ammo in camp.

Always leave leftover ammo. Someday you might need some that another hunter has left.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I solved this by bringing two rifles to Namibia: a common .30-06, and a Ruger .375 Ruger African. I knew that if my bags were late I could always find some .30-06 ammo. I ended up having no problems and using both rifles.
But, my rifle was the first .375 Ruger that anyone had seen, and if I had lost my ammo then I would have been out of luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We landed in Joberg in July 05 just in time for the SAA strike. We made it to Zim , but without guns/ammo/clothes. One of the PH's had a 6.5x57 and we borrowed a 375H&H from one place but no ammo. Another camp nearby had some 375H&H ammo and a 30-06 and ammo.

I had killed most of what I wanted by the time our guns/clothes showed up seven days later. My wife hunted in Teva flip flops for six days!
troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been on 4 safaris. Three in SA and one in Namibia. In Namibia the PH used a 30-06. In SA a 308,375, 7x57, 30-06 and some others. Went to a gun shop in Kimberley. They had 270Win, 300Win, a case of 300WSM, 375H&H.30-06, 7x57, 223, 220Swift (I think) 25-06 (great for those springbucks) and I think several other american calibers. They did not have any ammo for my 376 Steyr but I had plenty.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Dtala,
I learned the lesson in 1998, when I made a travel to Maldives. It was cold when I left Milan, an the weather was unusual for the summer period. I put in my hand bag a pair f t-shirts, short pants and swimsuit and light shoes.
I put also the bag with all the toilet necessaire
I asked to the hostess to call me some minutes before the "fasten sit belts" turning on signal. I changed my self and the impact with the humid and superhot air o he airport has been less violent. But if the baggage was lost with the items in the hand baggage, I could survive for all the holydays.

On Saturday I'll put some of my cartridge in the ammo box of my hunting buddy and viceversa, I'll live Milan dressed for hunting with the hand bag prepared as described above.

Maybe I'll suffer a little for hot temperature at Milan or Frankfurt, but when in Windhoek or on plane I'll be covered enough to stay warm. no flip flop problem Wink

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Your best bet is to take traditional calibers - 30-06, 375 H&H, 458 WinMag or Lott..........

Odds are with those, someone else in camp will have ammo, albeit in short supply. I left a buttload of .375 H&H and .458 Lott last trip. Had my ammo not shown however, there were at least three in camp (including PHs) with 458 ammo and the same number with .375 H&H to help me out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every police station in Zim has .308 ammo (7.62 x 51 NATO), and I am sure you could trade beer for some cartridges.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
Traditional calibers - 30-06, 375 H&H, 458 WinMag probably best, but in most bigger towns most of .22, .223, .243, 7mm's, 300wm, .308 and even .338wm should be available. 30/06 & 300wm no problem in towns, not to sure about in the camp though -better buy enough on your way to camp!!!!!!

Regards,
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote