THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Corned beef, actually gemsbok! Recipe added!!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corned beef, actually gemsbok! Recipe added!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
A couple months ago I read in a magazine about "corning" your own wild game to make a great tasting "corned beef". Well corned beef is one of my favorites and with Saint Patty's day just around the corner I decided to give it a try. I have a freezer full of gemsbok still so I used a nice 8 pound roast for my trial run.

The corning process is relatively simple but it does take a couple weeks until you get to sample your efforts.

I ccoked it up and added carrots, potatoes, onions, and cabbage to the pot about 30 minutes before completion of the cooking process. It was a feast Saint Patty would have been proud of. It was by far the best corned beef I have ever had. It was full of flavor and very tender.

I highly reccomend giving this a try on your own. If anyone is interested I will attach the recipe I used.

Has anyone else ever done this? I would like to hear anyones experiences or ideas.

Here is a link to the recipe I ended up using. I liked this one a little better than the one published in the hunting article. I did double the amount of sugar and used brown sugar instead of granulated. And I also used sea salt instead of iodized and I added 5 cloves of crushed garlic instead of 2.

RECIPE

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1...

You got me salivating. Only had a Butterfinger for lunch today and leftovers tonight.Don't have any gemsbock laying around, but would try the recipe on some store bought meat.

Yep, post 'er up.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Belarus>
posted
I take it you picked up the Gemsbok in Arizona/New Mexico? I would be interested in your Corned Beef-Gemsbok recipe. I have looked into this in the past but haven't gotten past the development stage.

Regards,
Eric
mauser416@prodigy.net

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belarus:
I take it you picked up the Gemsbok in Arizona/New Mexico? I would be interested in your Corned Beef-Gemsbok recipe. I have looked into this in the past but haven't gotten past the development stage.

Regards,
Eric
mauser416@prodigy.net

I shot my Gemsbok on Fort Bliss, TX. Actually I shot it in the New Mexico portion of base on a draw hunt that was conducted for soldiers stationed there. Here is a pic of my gemsbok before he bacame dinner.

I have posted a link to the recipe in my first post for this thread. Give it a try, you wont regret it.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote