New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to Sell Hunting Trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An older hunting and shooting friend asked me some time ago to assist his wife (he has no children) in disposing of his firearms, reloading equipment and hunting trophies when the time came. It's apparently quite near - he's had a massive stroke and is in bad enough condition that he doesn't even recognize his wife of 50 years.

I have no trouble with the mechanism to sell the firearms or reloading supplies, but the trophies baffle me. The collection is fairly extensive - he hunted in Africa, Asia and the Arctic as well as North America. There's a polar bear and a walrus, a couple of the big five, and numerous antelope, deer, etc.

Are there dealers or auctioneers you could recommend that would be willing and able to handle the sale of such things? If there is no market for these, where else would you suggest as a possible recipient?

Thanks. This is quite difficult for me as we shot skeet and trap together almost weekly and hunted (birds - I'm not in the same league as he was in terms of travel and game pursued) together for over a decade.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are located, but as I age I have done some minor research as I have 30+ mounts in my house. Best advice I can give you is to contact any museums within reasonable distance if you are interested in donating. I know here in Texas many times the upper end interior decorators are looking for trophies to decorate offices and upper end homes. Good luck.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you're located but if it is anywhere near PA I'd contact the PA Auction Center. They occasionally have taxidermy auctions.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p...ZW50ZXIuY29tLw&ntb=1

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem, check out Lolli Brothers. www.lollibros.com

They are in the business of liquidating trophies. Also, do have any big outdoor retailers near you or your friend? Cabelas, Bass Bro, Scheels, etc sometimes buy trophies.

Good luck.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We're about 1-1/2 hour from the PA Auction Center, so when the call comes I'll contact them first. My goal is to make this as painless for my friend's wife as possible and an auction house selling everything in one sale would seem to minimize the disruption.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the most part, they aren't worth the cost of the taxidermy. The only people in the market are BBQ restaurants and a few interior decorators if you have a really nice mount of something pretty.

I've wondered where my mounts would end up after I'm gone. I'm convinced my family does'nt care a bit. Most of my buffalo will probably wind up being knife handles.

The trophy only has value to the hunter.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I went thru this drill six years ago when wife and I retired and relocated (downsizing). Ended up selling my stuff at large local auction and netted less that 10 cents on the dollar of taxidermy costs. They are after all mostly 'hairy bowling trophies'.

What was funny is the two guys that did most of the buying had approached me and spoke as if they were old hands at hunting Africa. Then went on to buy my stuff no doubt to represent that they were their trophies.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

Feel lucky, most families will just trash them.

I "rescued???" an uncles record book muley head

killed the first season after WWII. Dad was one

of four bil's and a brother that went soon after

were all discharged. Then I spent $650 to have it

remounted. This one means enough to me to do that

and saved it from the dumpster.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
New guy in TEXAS after death of Trophy King-

WesternSportsman.Auction
Logan Thomas, 832-829-0000

They sell at auction near Ft Worth market, or purchase outright. They have transporters. Bid from anywhere online.

I like him in conversation about my trophy collection. Lolli Bros good too but in person bidding in Macon, Missouri.

Taxidermy, art, bronzes, guns. Quite a following by collectors and interior decorators, restaurants.

Good luck,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote