New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Boots or a Wallet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never heard anyone mention what they do with Cape Buffalo hides. Has anyone made a custom pair of buffalo western boots, or at least a wallet? (I'm not interested in an ashtray or a lamp.)

Anyone got any ideas, or know of companies / websites that cater to such?

Posts: 13801 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Hi Kensco

Buffalo hide makes a fine gun bag. I also have a wallet made from buff, and had some boots (though not Western style) a while back, but they are totally worn out now...

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Buffalo wallet that was very nice. You could send the hide to Russel for a pair of boots, belt or maybe a breifcase. Never seen a breifcase though. Has anyone tried to make a jacket out of the leather?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
They make a great soft gun case. Boots and belts are also good ideas.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a company in Wisconsin that has a list of items you can have made. I have two buffalo gun cases that I love.

http://www.waldenbork.com/ is the link for the company.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having my buff backskin tanned into 4-5 oz leather. It will be used for a pair of boots by one of my custom makers (probably Brian Thomas in Abilene) then anything left will end up as a wallet or gun slip if there's enough left. Oh, and they're making a cartridge belt before it's sent over from Zim. But yes, it's possible to have some western boots made by a custom maker; main thing is that the leather be tanned and split into a weight they can use.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would like to have a sling made for my 375 H&H also.

I'm a little surprised at the prices at Walden & Bork. A $300 wallet, and I provide the skin? Wow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall, on one of Saeed's video's, there is a part where Walter shows how to make a buffalo skin belt!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand there is a company called Wickhaum in South Africa, maybe around JHB, that also does leather accessories from hides. Has anyone tried them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with Riaan (I believe) who is the owner. He made some zebra hand bags for me and some incredible bow cases and bar stools for my buddy. He also did my two gun cases. He and his wife run the business and do excellent work. The girls could not believe the quality of the bag. He can make anything you want with about any hide.

He is a little off center sometimes. I had a bunch of items shipped over for a fundraiser and had a bunch of logistics problems.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

In India most shoe and bag leather is made from water buffalo hides. You should be able to get Cape Buffalo skins tanned there if you want. There are some really good companies in the south who could do this for you though Mumbai may not be the best place to get any leather processed.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree India could get it done. My problem would be logistics. I'm probably going to have to have the work done in Zimbabwe/South Africa or the U.S. and picked up or shipped to my son.