THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Outrage as South Africa law change could put elephants and giraffes on dinner table

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outrage as South Africa law change could put elephants and giraffes on dinner table
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Outrage as South Africa law change could put elephants and giraffes on dinner table

POSTED ON 30TH MAY 2020

By JOSH SAUNDERS – Daily Express

SOUTH AFRICA is deliberating over a radical review of their Meat Safety Act that wildlife activists fear could “pave the way” for elephants, rhinos, giraffes and every animal listed for human consumption.

The South African government first announced the proposed amendment to Schedule 1 of the Meat Safety Act 2000 back in February, which is yet to be implemented. Wildlife campaigners and officials fear the law change could enable animals to be eaten by humans in the future. Some speculate it may be part of a broader plan to add more creatures to the menu and to launch a rare meat industry for international markets. The proposed amendment has been put out to the public for comment, a phase of the process that is due to close at the end of June. There are additional concerns that the suggested alterations could put endangered species at greater risk, cause additional problems for anti-poachers and in a worst case scenario potentially increase the risk of zoonotic transmissions.

Questions have been raised about new proposals made for The Meat Safety Act due to potentially troubling wording that appears to suggest all animals – including endangered and threatened species – could be fit for human and animal consumption.

While the act presides over the “safety of animal products” with respect to abattoirs, import and exportation, and safety schemes, government officials and wildlife campaigners fear the worst.

They are concerned by the inclusion of 33 wild species – including rhinos, giraffes, elephants and hippopotamuses – that appears to make it “legal” for animal “slaughter, consumption, import, export and sale”.

It also stated that the act “applies to all other species of animals not mentioned including birds, fish and reptiles that may be slaughtered as food for human and animal consumption”.

In a clarification, the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development wrote on May 6, that if animals “are not listed” they may be “slaughtered without any regulatory oversight in terms of meat safety”.

They wrote: “The DALRRD and competent provincial authorities can therefore not enforce the legislation on animals not listed and therefore anyone can slaughter such an animal without conformity to any standards.”

They also stated that the act “does not make any decision on which animals are to be slaughtered” but if the listed animals “are to be slaughtered” then legislation and safety practices are in place.

In February, Angela Didiza, Minister of the DALRRD, invited institutions, organisations and individuals to comment on the proposed amendments – of which 24,252 people have participated so far.

The department reiterated to website Africa Check that the decision on which animals can be slaughtered “lies outside of the mandate of the Meat Safety Act” and their aims are to “allow the regulators to have more control”.

They added: “Listing an animal in the Schedule therefore does not encourage the slaughter of those listed animals.”

Despite this, senior politicians have questions why these animals have been included if there are no future plans for them to be considered as meat that can be consumed by humans and animals.

Hannah Sharmeema Winkler, DA Deputy Shadow Minister of Environmental Affairs, Forestry and Fisheries was “deeply concerned by the unilateral decision” proposed and vowed to fight for the “protection and responsible management of wildlife”.

She wrote: “What then is Minister Didiza’s aim in adding these iconic species to Schedule-1 of the Meat Safety Act, if indeed they will never be butchered in abattoirs and their meat and body parts never sold and exported?

“In the wake of the devastating global cost to life and economy brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, mitigating the risk of future zoonotic spillover should be of the highest governmental priority.

“Minister Didiza’s attempt to legalise the consumption of wild animals is unfathomable.”

Audrey Delsink of Humane Society Internationally also decried the potential changes of animals as dangerous in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Wildlife campaigners have been trying to raise awareness of the proposals to encourage South Africans to voice their opinions on the act amendment to the government.

Ms Delsink told Express.co.uk: “I think there has been an outcry and disbelief that endangered and iconic species are included, whether they are listed as threatened or not.

“The possibility that these animals will be included for consumption by humans or animals has opened people’s eyes and left many concerned.”

Public consultation will conclude on June 30 and Ms Delsink is concerned about how the government will consider comments from the public and whether they will be taken into account.

https://www.express.co.uk/news...ild-animals-menu-spt

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Iconic animals" (whatever the hell that is) cannot be hunted or eaten. In short, they have no value other than photographic props.

Personally, I find all wildlife "iconic" because they all taste like meat.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whenever you see “iconic” I see stupidity!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
A "behind the scenes" effort being pushed by a certain Asian society perhaps for a thriving wet-market ?

Seriously, after this bloody virus nonsense and the theoretical possible ties to a wet market, SA would be start raving mad to give it a stamp of approval.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not about wet markets, it's about utilizing game animal carcasses as protein source..

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
It's not about wet markets, it's about utilizing game animal carcasses as protein source..

Exactly!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
The author of this article is a sensation seeking idiot. The meat from all of the species mentioned are already utilized either commercially or by the hunters/outfitters. This act is intended to regulate safety standards. When a trophy hunter shoots an elephant or giraffe or whatever none of this meat is wasted.

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
iconic is a mix of ice and tonic. Just add Gin.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

My take on this iconic classic is to add three medium sized ice cubes to a glass of Gin and use the bottle of tonic to keep my napkin from blowing away. Works every time. Haven't lost a napkin yet.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Now you just need a great Gin.

Trying a new Irish Gin - GunPowder Irish Gin.

But then there is a good German Gin - Monkey 47.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried Gunpowder and it's OK. I have not tried Monkey.

Hard to get me off Bombay Sapphire. The new florals are too over done for me and the other side like Aviation are too much like water - no wonder Canadian actors like it - sorry Wade Wilson.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

My take on this iconic classic is to add three medium sized ice cubes to a glass of Gin and use the bottle of tonic to keep my napkin from blowing away. Works every time. Haven't lost a napkin yet.

Funny

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hard to get me off Bombay Sapphire. The new florals are too over done for me and the other side like Aviation are too much like water - no wonder Canadian actors like it - sorry Wade Wilson.

What is wrong with Plymouth?

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm full up on other peoples "outrage" this week. Next week isn't looking good either.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:

I'm full up on other peoples "outrage" this week. Next week isn't looking good either.

Well, that's probably why the conversation quickly turned into drinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:

What is wrong with Plymouth?

Wow, that's a brand (Black Friars Plymouth) I have totally forgotten about. I attempted to drink that distillery dry when I was working in London in the late 1990's. Their production volume surpassed my capacity to keep up however. But after I left, I discovered they fell on hard times. Sorry guys.

Now I have an excuse to see my closest friend - the guy who owns the closest liquor store. I forget his name, but I see him a lot. Seems nice...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plymouth is our house gin.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:

Me too! Well said Sir, well said!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote