Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Namibian non-trophy hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted
Hi all, I would appreciate advice on the above. I plan to take my wife, who is not keen on hunting, and my 12-13 yr old son, for season 2016-17. I am not planning on trophies hence the management style, but wish the best of both worlds with ethical hunting practises.

Kind regards

Matt

I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill in order that I have hunted.

'If ur'e gonna do it, do it right!'

Posts: 77 | Location: England | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
management hunts are bloody affairs, your wife will not like it.

assuming you have crossed that bridge, are you asking for advice on a destination? you will probably not have a lot of choice as most outfitters host foreign trophy hunters and take care of their culling themselves (at night with a light so head shots are possible).

Even those that are OK with cull hunts do not offer this style of hunt every year. There has been a nasty drought so there may not be a lot of surplus animals this season.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been on two cull hunts in Namibia the last two years, and am going again in August. Not sure why the "bloody affairs" comment was made though. It is not any more bloody than a trophy hunt, just more of it. 10 animal culls hunts are lots of fun, and are not easy. I love it.

Kowas Adventure Safaris is a great source for cull hunting, as it is a normal part of their hunting and management program. In visiting with them at DSC last week, they are almost fully booked for the 2016 season, and about 50% booked for 2017 already. They have an almost 80% rate of repeat business, like myself.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ is right about the cull hunt. Cull hunts are usually not the sweet walk and stalk for one animal at a time that the discerning hunter usually thinks of.

My family Likes to go to African Dawn Hunting Safaris with me. Waterburg Mountains, Limpopo Province. Lots of animals from Giraffes and Cape buffalo to Water Bucks and Wildebeeste. Huge property.

My wife is a non-hunter. but loves walking in the bush. African Dawn has a naturalist on staff that goes for walks with the non hunters. Also, they take you on Game Viewing Drives in open top vehicles. Your family will be the only party on site.

There will probably be Marius Kruger's two young sons there. They are about the same age as your son. They will have a ball. (Swimming pool, ATV's. etc.) They are very safety oriented and both of the Kruger men are Doctors.

In 2017 our grandson will go on a nice walk and stalk hunt there for a blesbok or similar. Taking youngsters on their first hunt is a real specialty at African Dawn. They have nice youth rifles there in 243 and 223. ( Your son can practise up a bit before he goes, with an air rifle.) The trackers there love to go on a hunt with a youngster.
I have been going there, off and on, for years. Great family place . Cheers, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3351 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most serious culling is typically between 50 to 250 head per species. Most of the shooting is at night with either NV or lights. You may drop 30 to 50 head a night and it is bloody and it is hard work and it is not hunting.

In regards to the culling hunts being offered, (actually game management hunts) there is no pressure to remove a lot of animals and the outfitters have discovered that hunters will pay them to participate in non-trophy management hunts. The animals need to be take out anyway, so win, win, win.

If you are not interested in trophy quality and/or taking anything home other than memories, then these hunts are a relatively inexpensive way to see the country and do a little shooting.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattMck:
Hi all, I would appreciate advice on the above. I plan to take my wife, who is not keen on hunting, and my 12-13 yr old son, for season 2016-17. I am not planning on trophies hence the management style, but wish the best of both worlds with ethical hunting practises.

Kind regards

Matt

We offer cull hunting in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The hunting is exactly the same as for trophy hunting, walk and stalk. Just like the trophy hunter searches for the best trophy, we make the same effort to search for the weakest and least desirable animal in the herd. It's no more bloody than hunting trophy animals and has an element of fun to it. A lot of hunters bring their family and make a hunting holiday out of it.

The other way of culling is mostly done by ranchers at night with spotlights, 20 to 80 animals or more harvested in a night, head and neck shots only. With the closing of the venison export market and increase in value of game, this isn't done as much as in the past. Although often necessary I wouldn't recommend this method for paying clients.

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 390 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Watson:
quote:

Kind regards

Matt

We offer cull hunting in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The hunting is exactly the same as for trophy hunting, walk and stalk. Just like the trophy hunter searches for the best trophy, we make the same effort to search for the weakest and least desirable animal in the herd. It's no more bloody than hunting trophy animals and has an element of fun to it. A lot of hunters bring their family and make a hunting holiday out of it. We had 4 kids shoot their first animal with us this year, 3 of them were cull animals. We had them on the range, then taking some rock rabbits with the .22 and then onto smaller plains game. As a PH it's a joy to watch a father's pride when his son takes his friends first antelope.

The other way of culling is mostly done by ranchers at night with spotlights, 20 to 80 animals or more harvested in a night, head and neck shots only. With the closing of the venison export market and increase in value of game, this isn't done as much as in the past. Although often necessary I wouldn't recommend this method for paying clients.

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

Posts: 390 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Kind regards

Matt

We offer cull hunting in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The hunting is exactly the same as for trophy hunting, walk and stalk. Just like the trophy hunter searches for the best trophy, we make the same effort to search for the weakest and least desirable animal in the herd. It's no more bloody than hunting trophy animals and has an element of fun to it. A lot of hunters bring their family and make a hunting holiday out of it. We had 4 kids shoot their first animal with us this year, 3 of them were cull animals. We had them on the range, then taking some rock rabbits with the .22 and then onto smaller plains game. As a PH it's a joy to watch a father's pride when his son takes his first antelope.

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Kind regards

Matt

We offer cull hunting in the Eastern Cape, South Africa for 8 antelope species. The hunting is exactly the same as for trophy hunting, walk and stalk. Just like the trophy hunter searches for the best trophy, we make the same effort to search for the weakest and least desirable animal in the herd. It's no more bloody than hunting trophy animals and has an element of fun to it. A lot of hunters bring their family and make a hunting holiday out of it. We had 4 kids shoot their first animal with us this year, 3 of them were cull animals. We had them on the range, then taking some rock rabbits with the .22 and then onto smaller plains game. As a PH it's a joy to watch a father's pride when his son takes his first antelope.

The other way of culling is mostly done by ranchers at night with spotlights, 20 to 80 animals or more harvested in a night, head and neck shots only. With the closing of the venison export market and increase in value of game, this isn't done as much as in the past. Although often necessary as a management tool I wouldn't recommend this method for paying clients.

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor, That sounds like a nice way to "cull Hunt". Stalk specific non trophy animals.

One year I told the PH that I only wanted to hunt old, worn out animals that were on their last legs. Well I swear, that was just as challenging and exciting as looking for trophies. Those old animals have learned a lot tricks! We did a lot of walking and sneaking.

I would like to do the kind of cull/management hunt that you describe.
Question: Is your hunting area close to your accomadations or would we have to drive a long ways to the hunting grounds? ( I have found that to be an issue with some Eastern Cape hunts.) Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3351 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor, I checked your excellent website. Looks great. I have hunted and travelled that area with my wife. It's wonderful country. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a 10 animal non-trophy hunt with Kowas in Namibia. It was just like a trophy hunt only more shooting and no pressure. I was hunting with two buddies who were doing a trophy package and i think I had more fun. Nice folks and a good selection of critters to shoot at.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt - Namibia specifically has what's called Own Use (O/U) hunts, otherwise known as non-trophy hunts for elephant bulls, hippo bulls and buffalo bulls too! These are specifically designed for what you are looking at, and are available EVERY year. They are not especially bloody affairs, they are completely normal hunts just like any other - with specific type animals in mind. They offer great prices, with the opportunity for good DG hunting - you just can't bring home any part of the trophy. I've booked these hunts for clients numerous times, if you are interested - please email me at globalhunts@aol.com and I can give you all the details.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Victor, I checked your excellent website. Looks great. I have hunted and travelled that area with my wife. It's wonderful country. Brian

Thanks Brian

We hunt cull animals on the property the lodge is situated on. Often start walking right from camp in the morning.

Victor

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor, Excellent, I will get in touch. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I've been on two cull hunts in Namibia the last two years, and am going again in August. Not sure why the "bloody affairs" comment was made though. It is not any more bloody than a trophy hunt, just more of it. 10 animal culls hunts are lots of fun, and are not easy. I love it.

Kowas Adventure Safaris is a great source for cull hunting, as it is a normal part of their hunting and management program. In visiting with them at DSC last week, they are almost fully booked for the 2016 season, and about 50% booked for 2017 already. They have an almost 80% rate of repeat business, like myself.

I agree, "Management" hunts are sometimes tougher than trophy. I've been to Kowas many times, and they are great.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Terry, It's me, Brian from canada.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry's the one who got me hooked on Namibia, and Kowas. He know his stuff.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote