THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Considering the SAVE for Plains Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering the SAVE for Plains Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m researching a plains game hunt for 2010. I was in Zim a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I hunted with John Sharp and had a great hunt and I’d like to return to Zim again. The only thing missing from my hunt with JS was the presence of DG in the area we hunted so I’ve added that to the list of must haves.

The SAVE seems like the perfect choice. Supposed to be great plains games and get to stalk past some buf, ele, and maybe the occasional lion.

I’m hoping someone can give me a rundown for the best operators to consider in the Save. I know there are no internal fences and the game roams free, but are there one or two outfits that have the best plains game or do a better job of providing just a plains game hunt? Do any of them offer a tented camp? This will be my 3rd safari and still looking for that stunner kudu so that’s a consideration. A nice eland will be a priority also and the rest I’ll just hunt what comes my way.

Outfitters on my radar are Roger Whittall, Mokoro, Zambezi Hunters, Shaangan, Brooklands, Jumbo Moore. Are there more?

So please give me opinions, recent experiences, pros/cons or anything you may know that would help me narrow my focus a bit. If I don’t book before DSC I plan to go there and shop around, but I’d like to be lined up before then. My Dad will most likely come with me and we will want to hunt 2x2. Having a camp to ourselves is preferred.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know if jumbo is doing anything in zim anymore. i believe he's totally in mozm

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the Save with Roger Whittall Safaris. Good fun, lots of game, very nice kudu and nyala. Roger is a first class fellow.

Beware the elephants! They are cheeky in the Save!

If you have any specific Q's, ask them here or shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to answer them or provide any help I can.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been ten years since I was in the Conservancy but I will second what JPK says.

Roger Whittall is a class act and those elephants can be a bit cheeky.

He operates several camps and can give you a really nice "African Experience"

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Save in 2006 with Buzz Charlton and Peter Barnard in the Hammond and Mukwasine concessions. I had an excellent hunt with an abundance of both variety and quality of plains game available. Here is the link to my hunt report and pm me with any questions you may have... Whittal, Shangaan, Mokore Safaris, Jonathon Hulme are all excellent outfits and PH's you should consider! Do a search on my post "Hunt with Buzz Charlton in the Save Conservancy" for my hunt report. Couldn't get link to work... sorry!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
The SAVE seems like the perfect choice. Supposed to be great plains games and get to stalk past some buf, ele, and maybe the occasional lion.
And cheetah and rhino too!

Towards the bottom of this report is some info/picts from my days spent there in 2005:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/600105803

Here's a link to Russell's:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/514107892

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jonathan and www.zambezihunters.com last year.. Jonny have 3 different areas in the Conservancy and have biggest areas to hunt - Hammond - Sango and this year they took over ARDA/Mkwasine ?. (Jumbo had it before ??). Plenty of game. PM if you have any questions.
www.safaritrackers.com and Mark Young that post here book for them in US.

http://www.zambezihunters.com/...0News%20May%2009.pdf
Sango is a luxury tented camp.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done 2 hunts with Brooklands.

We hunted several different areas, including Deka, Chiowre[sp?] South and the SAVE.

I hunted the SAVE on both Brooklands Safaris.

It is covered up in plains game, BIG cape buff and elephants.
They have big leopards there as well.

I also saw both types of Rino.

I think the SAVE is one of the best places in Africa to hunt. I really like Brooklands.

One of my buddies just got back from there a few weeks ago. He had a great hunt, and is already booking another hunt with Brooklands.

There place in the SAVE even has a very nice swimming pool.

The food there is first class.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great feedback so far guys. Thanks!

I've seen a map posted here before showing the SAVE blocks and maybe even who has hunting rights. Anyone have that or a link to the thread?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyattd:

The SAVE seems like the perfect choice.

It is! I've hunted with www.shangaanhunters.com there.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to second shaangan hunters as well. We know Glenn and have hunted several years with Gordon and
feel perfectly safe in reccomending them for a first class hunt

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Count me in as one of their patients as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
I have to second shaangan hunters as well. We know Glenn and have hunted several years with Gordon and
feel perfectly safe in reccomending them for a first class hunt

As long as the engine is running Smiler

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one of the things I love about the SAVE.
There is a BUNCH of elephants, and they are pretty cheeky. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I hunted plains game on the Save last year with Roger Whittall Safaris and had a great hunt. PM me if you would like more info or pics.

Posts: 11 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: 05 December 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post

I've got them on video doing the same trick.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got them on video doing the same trick.
You mean one like this? Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roger Whittall is a class act and those elephants can be a bit cheeky.

aaai hunted last year with Roger and Guy Whittal and the elephants were abit cheeky until I brought on down with my bow. Now he's living room furniture!
Loved my first African hunt and will be back to the East Cape later this year!
I guess you never stop wanting to come back, like Gene Hill writes.
Wonder where Jimmy is?

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the "Save" a fenced in area?

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale,

There is an exterior fence around the 850,000 acres. My understanding is that portions of it are down now. The area is so huge with no interior fencing whatsoever that the fence is irrelevant. I think on another thread that mrlexma said "The Save is fenced like the Grand Canyon is fenced" and I agree. Hunting there you have no sense of it being a fenced property like you would find in RSA or Namibia.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check FTW web site for services there rep. mant outfitters and have personaly hunted as paying clients with all of the ones the rep.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say enough about Roger Whitall. Try to get Pete Wood as your PH. Very knowledgeable and a great conversationalist and a fantastic host. Remember you spend as much time with him as anyone else so he better be good, and he is. I learned a lot from him not only in the hunt but during the down times and in the sundowner times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Dale,

There is an exterior fence around the 850,000 acres. My understanding is that portions of it are down now. The area is so huge with no interior fencing whatsoever that the fence is irrelevant. I think on another thread that mrlexma said "The Save is fenced like the Grand Canyon is fenced" and I agree. Hunting there you have no sense of it being a fenced property like you would find in RSA or Namibia.

Mark

I also agree.
The perimeter fence is designed to keep cattle out and form a "boundary" for poaching control.

The SAVE is a GREAT area to hunt.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I came in from the south - from Chiredzi - crossing Mkwasine river - I haven't see any fence at all.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I’d raise this up and see if I could get some recent info re: Roger Whittall and the Humani area in the SAVE. Leaning towards a plains game hunt there with my Dad sometime in August/Sept if there are open dates.

Anyone have any knowledge on how the plains game hunting was there this past season?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in The SAVE last October but not with Roger.
I was with Zambezi Hunters. Lot of plains game where I was.

ZH spoke highly of Roger's area.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Where in Alabama are you?

I hunted the Save (Sango) in June 2009, also with Zambezi Hunters. Shot leopard, buff, eland, waterbuck, klipspringer, impala, zebra, two warthogs, bushpig, and bushbuck. I easily could have shot duiker, wildebeeste, kudu, and some others. Overall, I'd say the PG hunting was very good.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S-L, Live close to Tuscaloosa. Roll Tide!!

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunted with Jonathan and www.zambezihunters.com last year.. Jonny have 3 different areas in the Conservancy and have biggest areas to hunt - Hammond - Sango and this year they took over ARDA/Mkwasine ?. (Jumbo had it before ??). Plenty of game. PM if you have any questions.

+1 they have some of the best areas and the best camps ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambezi Hunters ran the single most organized and problem free safari I have been on in 15 trips over.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Hunted twice with Save Valley Safaris (Leon Duplessis), he and his wife run an unbelievable camp. Shot a giant leopard, buffalo and all of the plains game. PM me for contact info.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:

War Damn Eagle.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:

War Damn Eagle.

+1 !

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote