THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How Good is the 375 Remington Ultra Mag?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Good is the 375 Remington Ultra Mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used the 375 RUM in Africa on thick-skinned dangerous game? What were the results? Do the Remington guns chambered in this caliber shoot accurately?

one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
The ballistics are about the same as Saeed’s 375/404, which I think everyone here would agree works pretty effectively on just about everything it’s been pointed at. Use ultra-premium bullets and hit what you’re aiming, and you should have the same results.

The Remington’s I’ve shot in .375 RUM are superbly accurate. Whether they’re a good choice as a DG rifle I’ll leave as an exercise for the rest of the class.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have observed Saeed shoot perhaps a couple of dozen buffalo with the 375/404 with 300 gr. monolithics at both 2700 and 2900 FPS with excellent results in every case..He shoots extremely well and kills them very quickly at various distances....The 375/404 for all practical purposes are balistic twins.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used my .375 ultra in Africa, but use it extensively in Alaska and it performs flawlessly. It is VERY accurate!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say accurate - how good are the groups at 100 yds? Which gun is it - barrel length, etc." What is your load? Thanks ahead of time for your responses! Regards, AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullets are the key, ultra premium all the way. The regular and even premium bullets tend to break up on thick skinned, heavily boned game like buffalo.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used mine on my last two safaris and agree that the premium bullets are best. I really like the 300 gr. SAF and have taken Buff, Eland, Hippo, Kudu, Zebra, Sable, and other game. Those bullets that I recovered were usually on the back side of the Buff on a quartering shot and stopped in the other side under the skin of an Eland at 150 yds perfectly mushroomed. It does well and I have confidence in its shooting three different bullets all within 1 inch POA at 100 yds.
I used it as my primary gun and it does do Leopard as well. I was not as impressed (both dead with one shot) with the 270 gr. RUM Remington soft point at close range. Out beyong 100 yds it is also very dependable.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote