New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: SAA Response To Airbus Seating
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The response I got said they were going to increase the seat spacing, reduce the size of the entertainment control boxes and change size of the tv screens. I consider that a positive statement and have no real doubts they will follow up. American greatly improved their spacing reducing capacity and seem to have been successful so why not SAA. The 747 fleet seems to be shrinking and I seem to see fewer in Jo'burg than in the past.

Posts: 70 | Location: So. Az | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
November 3, 2004

South African Airways (SAA) deputy chief executive Oyama Mabandla has resigned to pursue personal business interests, the airline said on Wednesday.

Mabandla's resignation comes as the state-owned carrier is battling its worst financial crisis after losing 8.6 billion rand (USD$1.39 billion) before tax in its last financial year due to an ill-fated decision to hedge against the rand.

He will leave Africa's biggest airline at the end of the current fiscal year which runs to March 31, 2005. Mabandla's departure follows that of former chief executive Andre Viljoen in August and chief financial officer Richard Forson in October last year. Mabandla was appointed the airline's deputy chief executive in November last year.

"I wish to take this opportunity to recognize Mr Mabandla's immense contribution to SAA especially in the transitional period when he had to exercise leadership leading to this point in our history as an airline," CEO Khaya Ngqula said in a statement.

Mabandla said he would be pursuing business interests "to take advantage of the economic tide that is sweeping our country".

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have heard of folks going from Detroit to Spain. They over night in Spain the on to Jo'brg the next day. From the reports I've heard there aren't any gun problems and the trip is easier and I think maybe a bit cheaper.

Y'all might want to check it out.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No more saa for this buckaroo. Its europe or bust. Steve at gracy is booking BA through London and arriving early in the am at joberg.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dear Michael

The seating in the Airbus has concerned me greatly. Our board has taken the decision to fix this once and for all - throughout 2005. This programme will ensure an acceptable flight for all our passengers sitting in economy class.

Khaya

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what does that mean?

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly! Did this person from SSA ever hold a political office? Sounds like he's saying alot of nothing.

Boy I hope I'm wrong! I hope they do something, I'm going over in 2005......

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My last trip.. completed just on Friday.. would have been a bummer even if I had lots of room. I was next to a dwarf Zambian who hadn't discoverd personal hygene yet. I put my earphones over my nostrils.

Remember:

"Aren't you glad you use Dial. Don't you wish everyone did."

Geeeze!!!

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, I feel for you! And stuck in a airplane to boot! Alot of them in Zim have that same problem but thank god I wasn't in a airplane! WOW!

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

Been there! Didn't have any earphones (Air Zambia). Whiskey helps.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

JudgeG,

Been there! Didn't have any earphones (Air Zambia). Whiskey helps.

Rich Elliott

I remember flying Air Zambia from JFK to Lusaka in "89.

Not again.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Like I have said before BA through London is no problem if you follow instructions. The service is excellent and the comfort factor in coach is the best I've seen. Nobody is going to steal your guns or treat you badly. Really! If anyone wants to know more about BA's Africa routes just contact me.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish airlines would start charging for two seats if you need a seatbelt extender.

If I pay for my seat I should get to use all of it.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote