THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Three members of an alleged syndicate appear over Rhino horns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three members of an alleged syndicate appear over Rhino horns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted
Three appear over Rhino horns

Oct 11, 2010 1:57 PM | By Sapa

Three members of an alleged rhino horn syndicate appeared briefly in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

No charges were put to safari operators Clayton Fletcher, 32, of Sandhurst Safaris in the North West Province, Gert Saaiman, 48, of Saaiman Hunting Safaris, and Pretoria hunter Deon van Deventer, 36.

Charges were withdrawn against a fourth man, Kumaran Moodaly of Port Elizabeth, without any reasons being given.

The prosecution will apply on Tuesday for the postponement of the trial.

The accused will face charges of racketeering, money laundering, various counts of theft, malicious damage to property and contraventions of various provincial conservation acts as well as the Aviation Act.

The State alleges the accused had committed the offences as members of a group consisting of hunters, a pilot, middlemen and buyers who allegedly hunted rhino and traded in the horns stolen from the carcasses.

A small airplane belonging to Saaiman was allegedly used to locate the rhino in various national parks around the country.

It was also allegedly used to transport poachers to different national parks, where the rhino were shot and dehorned.

The same aircraft was then allegedly used to transport the horns to Fletcher's farm in Tosca in the North West Province.

The charges relate to 17 rhino that were killed and dehorned between December 2005 and August 2006 in the Kruger National Park, the Mfolozi National Park and private game farms in the Bela Bela and Komatipoort districts.

The criminal trial follows an intensive joint operation between the Hawks, the National Prosecuting Authority's Organised Crime Prosecution division and the Asset Forfeiture Unit, which in May this year seized the accused's houses, Fletcher's seven farms in the North West province, Saaiman's airplane and various other assets of the group.

This was after the High Court in Pretoria in April granted a restraint order for R45 million in terms of the Prevention of Organised Crime Act.

Three other accused who were allegedly also part of the syndicate pleaded guilty and were sentenced in 2007.

Kalahari farmers Gideon van Deventer and his older brother Nic were respectively sentenced to 10 and five years imprisonment, part of which was suspended. Game farmer Pieter Swart, 24, of Kroonstad was fined R50,000, or one year imprisonment, for his involvement in the crimes.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Here are the names of the accused rhino poachers again:

Clayton Fletcher, 32, of Sandhurst Safaris in the North West Province

Gert Saaiman, 48, of Saaiman Hunting Safaris

Deon van Deventer, 36, Pretoria hunter

Here are the links to their websites:

http://www.sandhurstsafaris.com/about_us/

http://www.saaimanhunting.com/travel.htm

Cheers,

~ Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't these Sandhurst Safaris people exhibit at the SCI Convention...?

I would hope the ethics committee gets out ahead of this new rhino poacher, and were not commenting on it a year from now.....TIME TO MOVE !!

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:

I would hope the ethics committee gets out ahead of this new rhino poacher, and were not commenting on it a year from now.....TIME TO MOVE !!

Rated joint #473 out of a possible 1000 or so exhibitors:

http://www.showsci.org/static/...ndex.cfm?action=List

I guess that means they're pretty large donators! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
donor?? sofa Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Rated joint #473 out of a possible 1000 or so exhibitors:

http://www.showsci.org/static/...ndex.cfm?action=List

I guess that means they're pretty large donators! Wink

I wonder who of the SCI top echlon they have in their pockets.

Can't be Kevin, he already belongs to someone stir

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67433 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the SCI website for the upcoming convention and BOTH Sandhurst and Saaiman outfits are listed exhibitors !!

Come on SCI....its time for leadership.
Lets get done.

Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
I checked the SCI website for the upcoming convention and BOTH Sandhurst and Saaiman outfits are listed exhibitors !!

Lets get done.

Bob

Don't hold your breath mate. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

SCI will have to first purge itself entirely of the current one before any serious change of mentality will be noticed - local and overseas chapters included.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Saiiman rank joint 244th out of around 1000 donators (if donators is the right term in American Wink ) so they must have donated even more than Sandhurst.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to burst any bubbles; but there will be the usual need for probable cause, defense and legal decision before there is any action.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prison time.
I still vividly remember from my first safari how my PH commented that any white who goes to prison will die. Either while in jail or shortly afterwards. AIDS

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
Prison time.
I still vividly remember from my first safari how my PH commented that any white who goes to prison will die. Either while in jail or shortly afterwards. AIDS

Fortunately no one has officially died of AIDS in South Africa during the last few years. Confused This is not because the former South African Minister of Health Dr. Mantho Tsabalala-Msimang's (spelling?)prescpiption for cure of beetroot, lemon juice and garlic worked so well, but due to the ruling that a medical docter may not give the cause of death on a death certificate as "AIDS" - it is simply not accepted! Roll Eyes Viva UHURU! Quote Scriptus' signature here.

But your PH was unfortunately quite correct in that no one, black or white or any other race, lives long after a term in a South African prison. shame Make sure that your hunt is 100% legal in every single respect, as even one night in SA Police custody may have the same effect!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is weak shakari ... and in rather poor taste, mate!

They have a "reasonable" ranking because they have been going to SCI for many, many years. And like many other outfitters, they do not do donations any more.

Do I notice some yellow liquid on your battery as well?

rotflmo

quote:
Saiiman rank joint 244th out of around 1000 donators (if donators is the right term in American Wink ) so they must have donated even more than Sandhurst.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sooooo. Quoting rankings from a published website is weak huh?

Riiiiiight. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Steve - you know exactly what I mean. You're not stupid. You also do not have to insist on making a snide remark just because SCI got mentioned. And, yeas it is a weak remark saturated with sarcasm.

quote:
Sooooo. Quoting rankings from a published website is weak huh?

Riiiiiight. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Riiiight. Roll Eyes donttroll

posted Hide Post
Inform yourself on it Steve, and then post.

quote:
Riiiight. Roll Eyes donttroll

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So quoting a company ranking from SCIs own website in reply to a question asking if said company exhibited at the SCI convention and then following that up with the ranking of another company also previously mentioned in the thread is weak and in poor taste?

Riiight. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes donttroll