Find
Notify
Tools

God's Ivory
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...of-re_b_5745994.html

There is an excellent 15 minute video in the attached link.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Kathi tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize there was such a heavy use of ivory for religious icons. The main narrator got it right when he said that you will not be able to stop poaching on the ground in Africa as there is too much poverty and corruption. You have to go to the main source of the demand, which is the Chinese government.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't realize there was such a heavy use of ivory for religious icons.

There was an article in National Geographic a while back that featured this very thing. The appetite is incredible.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We are screwed and so are the elephants

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Same story as the tiger.

Credit to the Dalai Lama that he passed a decree for the Buddhist monks to stop using tiger skin ceremonial garments. They burnt those skins about 10 years ago and now it is the Chinese & Vietnamese tiger bone trade that is the problem.

Frowner

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a date with a Chinese immigrant woman the other day who insists that rhino horn was the only thing that could cure her of a respiratory infection when she was younger.

She acknowledged how expensive it was. Though you have to wonder about the amount of fake rhino powder on the market, too. How do you verify it's real rhino horn powder?

Old habits die hard. And when affluence makes things available to the masses that were only available to the elite, the masses will want it, too. Obviously, economically, Mao style Communism (and before that family dynasties) was good for the world.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
I wonder if all the emphasis on demand is really correct. The massive elephant poaching going on by terrorist organisations to fund their operations has not been spurred by a sudden growth in end users. They need revenue, and ivory is providing it. The fact that there is a market for their illicit product, I would think is secondary?

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine