THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Early Season Hunt Save or Matetsi Units?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Season Hunt Save or Matetsi Units?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at hunting buffalo & plains game for 10-12 days with a young hunter 2PH's/2Hunters early season. He will most likely hunt a full bag of plains game, I will probably hunt buffalo and plains game. We would like to be in a area that has really good populations of Kudu or Sable and they would be the targeted plains game animal. An area with excellent buffalo populations is a important part of the hunt too.

If you had a choice between the Save or Matetsi Units for a hunt between Mid June - Early July for buffalo/plains game which one would you select?

Which area has the highest game populations? What area(s) has the best average trophy quality for Sable,Kudu,Buffalo? Are these areas running close to 100% for Buffalo, Kudu, Sable ?

I would welcome information on the various Save areas and the Matetsi Units that are being hunted. Feel free to PM if you would like to share some private information on the various concessions, outfitters and camps in these two areas.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 736 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Mark Young, he has hunts in both areas and would give you a great amount of info so you can decide which area suits you the best. I don't think you can go wrong in either area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get in contact with Guy Whittall f Roger Whittall Safaris Humani is a spectacular place to hunt
rogerwhittallsafaris@zol.co.zw

http://www.rogerwhittallsafaris.com/

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matetsi if sable is on the menu.

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Matetsi if sable is on the menu.

+1

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
Contact Mark Young, he has hunts in both areas and would give you a great amount of info so you can decide which area suits you the best. I don't think you can go wrong in either area.

I’ll secomd calling Mark Young. However, if your set on Sable I think you’ll be going to Matetsi.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes if you set on Sable then you probably would be going to Matetsi. However if you set on having a great hunt I would defiantly go to one of the bigger blocks in the SAVE. I personally find the Matetsi block pretty boring and unchallenging! Likewise as a whole the quality of the buffalo really are not great in Matetsi. Yes the odd big boy but on average not great!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Save has lots of game but Sable would be scarce at best I believe. Buzz has Sable and Buffalo in his area, he could take care you I am sure.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save tu2

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I would probably hunt the Matetsi if it were me. I enjoyed the Save and it is a big conservancy but fenced. Matetsi is a wild concession... with good populations of both buff and sable and an easy drive from Vic Falls which adds the adventure of a day viewing the Falls.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote